Itinerary

journeyman24

Jul 1, 2017
Ok I must accumulate funds but how does my itinerary sound? I'll use specific dates for argument's sake.

June 17-June 24: arrive in Sydney on June 19 from SF, drive to Brisbane after visiting the Warrambungle and on the 20th.June 21 hang out in Brisbane and then drive to Airlie. On the 22 drive to cairns and leave there on the 24th back to SF. Destinations? Bondi Beach, Oprah House, and Daintree are examples.

Too ambitious. Unless you are flying First Class with the lie flat seats that convert into actual beds, you are going to have jet lag something fierce. I am a retired flight attendant. When I flew from LAX to SYD in coach, I never actually got fully to sleep at any time in the 14 hours aloft. Your first day on the ground in Australia will probably be in bed trying to get to sleep. Your itinerary reminds me of a choir tour I was on in college. We had 2 hours free in D.C. and we all voted to go to the National Gallery of Art (this was in the 60's, so no Vietnam memorial or other later constructions). Most of us had never been to the National Gallery and had no idea how large it was or how much artwork was on display. Our choir director told us (tongue in cheek of course) "you can see the whole thing in less than 2 hours as long as you don't look at anything."

Per Google Maps, the shortest car route from Sydney to Brisbane is the coast road. The views are so gorgeous you will be stopping to look and/or take pictures frequently, and remember it's almost a 600 mile trip. I can't believe you aren't staying in Sydney more than a day. It is one of the most beautiful and fascinating cities in the world.

I would definitely rethink the itinerary and delete some of your stops and save them for next trip. I would not go to Brisbane if I didn't have time to go to the Lone Pine Zoo/Animal Sanctuary. It may be your only chance to hold a koala. They are wonderful (even though they smell to high heaven due to their diet of eucalyptus leaves).

Australia is a great country and the people are incredibly friendly. (You know it's one of the few remaining places where we are truly welcome.) Take time to savor the beauty of the country and its people.

Too ambitious. Unless you are flying First Class with the lie flat seats that convert into actual beds, you are going to have jet lag something fierce. I am a retired flight attendant. When I flew from LAX to SYD in coach, I never actually got fully to sleep at any time in the 14 hours aloft. Your first day on the ground in Australia will probably be in bed trying to get to sleep. Your itinerary reminds me of a choir tour I was on in college. We had 2 hours free in D.C. and we all voted to go to the National Gallery of Art (this was in the 60's, so no Vietnam memorial or other later constructions). Most of us had never been to the National Gallery and had no idea how large it was or how much artwork was on display. Our choir director told us (tongue in cheek of course) "you can see the whole thing in less than 2 hours as long as you don't look at anything."

Per Google Maps, the shortest car route from Sydney to Brisbane is the coast road. The views are so gorgeous you will be stopping to look and/or take pictures frequently, and remember it's almost a 600 mile trip. I can't believe you aren't staying in Sydney more than a day. It is one of the most beautiful and fascinating cities in the world.

I would definitely rethink the itinerary and delete some of your stops and save them for next trip. I would not go to Brisbane if I didn't have time to go to the Lone Pine Zoo/Animal Sanctuary. It may be your only chance to hold a koala. They are wonderful (even though they smell to high heaven due to their diet of eucalyptus leaves).

Australia is a great country and the people are incredibly friendly. (You know it's one of the few remaining places where we are truly welcome.) Take time to savor the beauty of the country and its people.

I understand. I mean the first day we get there we’ll look around Sydney a bit (if I’m to be exact probably 5 hours and the rest sleeping) but after we get the nights sleep I’ll go. I’m speaking as a youngster who has never flown international but it cannot be that tiring. I mean if you spend the whole day catching up sleeping for the most part how tired do you think I’ll be, driving to coonabarabn, Australia zoo, airlie, and then cairns? It cannot be that tiring as long as you spend 8 hours of the first day resting. I will stop at bondi the first day.

I’d be flying with virgin Australia or qantas by coach btw.

I’ll hold off on the other places until other times.

I live in CA and we’re flying east to west which is easier than vice verse.

Well, if you already have everything worked out, why did you post the question? However, I would not fly all the way to Australia to spend the majority of the trip driving in a car.
Incase there would be something missing. Well when you went to Sydney your day 1 how much did YOU spend exploring?

None. I spent the first day in the hotel sleeping to get my body clock reset to Australia time. I didn't really get adjusted for 3 days, though. Have you ever flown for 14 hours straight before? It's bearable only if you are in First Class. I'm assuming that you will leave SFO around 11pm or midnight. You will rapidly reach daylight again, and I can guarantee there will be some joker who will keep his/her window shade open the whole time. (Even though there's not anything to see at 35,000 feet.) Hope you get an aisle seat so that you can get up and move without disturbing other passengers. I've been on every continent except Antarctica. You are overestimating your body's ability to go without sleep. And, the fact that you are going to be driving in that condition concerns me. The shortest driving leg you listed is something like 500 miles. You've planned a vacation where you never get out of the car. Enjoy.

I have wanted to go back to Australia since the day I left there over 20 years ago. However, the flight is just not anything I want to do again. If there was an affordable way to fly a route like Los Angeles to "some Pacific Island to another Pacific Island to New Zealand to Sydney with a day or two stop at end of each leg, I might consider it. LOL (I checked Bora Bora to Auckland. The cheapest fare was $1407 one way and involved two stops.)

As an English major, I have to correct one of your spelling errors. It's the Sydney Opera House, not the Oprah House. It took me awhile to figure out what Oprah had to do with Australia.:D

Last edited: