Its All The Presidents Fault

Bob Owens

Veteran
Sep 9, 2002
Well it looks like the TWU International is up to their same old tricks again.

On Tuesday, International Reps Jim Little, Gary Yingst and Robert Gless treated the Executive Board of local 562 to an expensive dinner.

During the meeting Jim put forth the same promises he made four years ago when he replaced Ed Koziatek. All the typical corporate style BS about “improving communication†and “meeting the needs of the member†etc.

The conversation only briefly touched upon the concessionary contract that Jim Little, “without further ratification†signed into place. And of course, like I stated many times before, according to the International “Its all the Local Presidents faultâ€.

Whats really ironic is that some of these Local Presidents still don’t realize how they were set up by the International. It might be starting to sink in to Nestor Rodriguez as he is back slinging bags down in RDU but a lot of these Presidents are still obviously oblivious.

I wonder if Nester is saying "guys it was my fault" or "it was the International"?

That will be the gist of the TWUs strategy. As time goes by and the magnitude of the concessions take their toll the International will distance themselves from the Presidents, pushing them out front as the sacrificial Lambs. "Dont blame us fellas, it was your own Presidents that did this to you, and you can vote THEM OUT!" "Honestly, we left it up to them, they came up with this plan, and they decided on it."

Last Summer I said this would happen.

The fact is that several court cases prove that their assertion that the Presidents council is to blame is a lie.

When the seperate Locals were formed the Presidents council voted against it. Sonny put it in place, some of the Presidents sued. The judge ruled that the Presidents council for all practical purposes doesnt exist. The TWU testified that the Presidents council was merely a creation for the conveince of the International. They have no power.

When Title II in Boston decided to join Local 562 Sonny Hall said OK despite the objections of their President. He sued. Once again, the the TWU testified and the courts agreed that the Local President has no authority over the International President.

Last year when we got that concessionary contract rammed down our throats by Jim Little with his crooked voting system and his "without further ratification" signature, several Locals sued. In court the TWU said that we do not even have the right to vote on our contracts, its the Internationals contract and they can modify it as they see fit without our permission, and the court, after reviewing our Constitution, agreed.

All you have to do is look at the cover of the contract book. It states that the TWU owns this contract, no individual Local has jurisdiction.

So while the TWU tells the members about how they are in control and the locals are autonomous, just look at what they say in court when the members or Locals want to actually assert the rights they were led to believe they had. They say the direct opposite. Their own testimony exposes them for the liars they are.

The TWU International directed Chuck Schalk, President of a supposedly "autonomous local", to sign a letter to the members of his Local that was in fact written by the International. When he refused to be made a mouthpiece for someone else they removed him from office. They removed him from office because he would not say exactly what they wanted him to say! Thats autonomy? No Its totalitarianism!

This is typical of just about any tyranny. No tyrant admits that he is a tyrant. They all claim to be democratic. Even Stalin was elected. So was Hitler. However merely going through the motions of an election does not a democracy make.

In order to have a Democracy there has to be free speech. My attempt to practice this essential component of Democracy got me removed form office.

When you hear how the negotiations were conducted and what went on its all too clear what happened there. Another elaborate fascade to create the illusion of Democracy.

First of all the "negotiations" were conducted on company property where management could monitor the discussions between the Presidents.

Secondly, despite the fact that it was done on company property the committee and the company were only face to face for around 16 hours.

The committee was directed by the International to meet the companys number of $660 million in savings. There was no "negotiating" the figure. The International determined who had what share. Again no negotiations.

The company came up with all the numbers. The International presented them to the committe as Gospell.

The committee originally proposed meeting the figure through layoffs, the company refused, cllaiming that they could not run the operation as they wanted to with that many furloughs. (No $#!+)

When the committee came up with a proposal it was given to Little who may or may not have even bothered to present it to the company. Jim Little informed the committee of the company's determination. They did not have the opportunity to present their arguement to the company.

When members of the committe asked for non-monetary changes in the contract they were told by the International that they could not ask for ANYTHING. They could only give, and thats what the TWU calls negotiating.

The committee was kept on company property in the room for long hours even when nothing was going on. The International said to the committe "We have to make it look like we are working towards a package" when in fact this was merely a tactic to wear down the committee both physically and mentally.

The International used their most simple minded Presidents to steer the committee towards their predetermined "package". International Reps would slip little notes to certain Presidents and tell them to bring up what was written. It was done this way to make it 'appear' that the council came to this conclusion.

Before that committee ever even officially met, Jim Little and AA already had our contract pretty much worked out. They locked these guys in a room and simply eliminated any other avenue other than what they had already worked out as they were proposed. Then when the only thing that was left was finally put forth they said "Good job, YOU guys did it".

So the peices were put in place. The concessions were in place and they already had the Presidents council set up to take the blame.

Now they are already out there selling it in the hopes that by deflecting the blame to the Presidents they can convince the members that they have it within their power, within the TWU to change it. Just dont ask why we cant change Jim Little, for you will surely get the lie that he is merely a facilitator that works for your Presidents. As he tell you that remember that it was Jim Little who decided, without consulting the Presidents council to put this contract in place "without further ratification. Remember that it was Jim Little that had Chuck Schalk removed because Chuck would not sign the letter that Jim demanded he sign. Remember that it was the TWU that testified in court that the Presidents council had no power and the members do not have the right to vote on their contracts.

The problem is not the Presidents. The problem is not the members. The problem is the International and the only way you can get rid of them is to vote out the TWU and vote in AMFA.

When the ballott comes in the mail, remember that this is the only opportunity you will have to hold Jim Little accountable for puting in this agreement "without further ratification".

Remember its the only opportunity you will have to really vote for change, by voting for AMFA.

Remember that the last time International officers faced a vote of confidence from the members was 1946.

Remember the graph of mechanics pay vs CPI and how this union managed to always grant concessions, in bad times and good, to the company.

Remember how this union, the TWU lied to you over and over again with "system attrition, early out packages, me too clauses, autonomous locals, members having the right to vote on contracts and on and on.

Remember the fact that this union, the TWU has a $3 million a year "understanding with the company.

Remember that its your life and AMFA gives you the right to have a say in the union that will affect your life, they will let YOU decide what is good for you!

Wow Bob, That was quite a story. I think you should contact one of those Tabloid News papers and seek employment. It reminded me of when bordom would overtake me while in a check-out line at the grocery store and I begin reading some of those papers cover stories. But most of what you read usually has no bases of authenticity. And it's usually due to the author not being present when the event they describe takes place, which basically is a line of crap from someone who talkes to much.... Yap/Yap/Yap....!!!!!!!

-------------------------------------
AMFA: The YUGO of the labor movement
Where bargaining means YOU GO.....!

Posted on: Mar 24 2004, 03:16 AM by HSS

United began to get close to settling their contract and were down to the final economic issues. Now AMFA began to sweat, knowing they needed to give the impression of the industry leader to maintain their little display. They needed to create a diversion.....! They had to stop the negotiating process between United and the IAM. So since AMFA was engaged in soliciting for membership at United they called for a vote, knowing full well they lacked the support! This stopped the negotiationg process between United and the IAM for card counting at the NMB.

Where you there? Is this first or even second hand information? I got my information from Chuck Schalk and Steve Gukelberg, two people who were there.

The following is from the TWUs statement of opposistion to Local 562s motion for preliminary injunction. Civ. No. 03 CV 2578 (LAP) United States District Court, Southern District of New York.

TWU:

(ii) On April 24, against a background of controversy caused by American actions in increasing its executive pay and benifits ,,,,, American and the TWU negotiated a second set of modifications to the extant American -TWU collective bargaining agreement Little Decl 21-22.

Did the Presidents council have any input into this "second set of modifications? Didnt the TWU later testify that members only have the right to vote on completely new agreements and not on "modifications"? So in other words, according to the TWU and the TWU Constitution we really didnt even have the "right" to vote on the "first" set of "modifications"!

TWU went on to say;pg 12

"Plaintiffs premise is wrong: the TWU Constitution's provision requiring ratification of collective bargaining agreements does not require ratification of the April 24 modifications"

The TWU clarified their position at the hearing when they contended that the provision for the right of membership ratification only applied to whole new agreements. In this industry our contracts do not expire, we never get "whole new agreements, they are only modified, therefore we never have the right under the TWU Constitution to vote on our contracts.

High Speed Steel said:
Wow Bob, That was quite a story. I think you should contact one of those Tabloid News papers and seek employment. It reminded me of when bordom would overtake me while in a check-out line at the grocery store and I begin reading some of those papers cover stories. But most of what you read usually has no bases of authenticity. And it's usually due to the author not being present when the event they describe takes place, which basically is a line of crap from someone who talkes to much.... Yap/Yap/Yap....!!!!!!!

-------------------------------------
AMFA: The YUGO of the labor movement
Where bargaining means YOU GO.....!
Remember that it was the TWU that testified in court that the Presidents council had no power and the members do not have the right to vote on their contracts.

hss, what do you not understand about the above quote?

Where you there? Is this first or even second hand information? I got my information from Chuck Schalk and Steve Gukelberg, two people who were there.

hss, now call Mr. Schalk and Mr. Gukelberg liars.

You remain nothing better than cio or jim little.

The twu smells fear... and it is their own!

GO AMFA! :up:

My guess is that this will be another thread that the TWU chooses to avoid.

Bob Owens said:
Where is the TWU?
Bob,
I have said it before and I will say it again. . .Your opinion (and that of Chuck and Steve's in this situation) mean absolutely NOTHING to me!!!! You are one-sided and biased in EVERYTHING you post. Just because you say it does NOT make it so Bob. You are always crying for a response to your rhetoric and when you do get responses they are not what you want to hear!!! Get over it man. There are 2 sides to every story and yours is not always the correct side. You again have NO solid evidence, or should I say neutral source to cooraberate (sp) your "theory". And that's what it is. . .Bob's theory of how it should be or how it was. We get tired of hearing this from you. I will be the first to admit I was wrong but I need solid proof, just as you would want, to make any type of case for or against something. Both sides have their goods and bads Bob. Don't preach to me about something that you don't have the correct knowledge or proof of.

Bob's heresay has holes in it. Give me solid, credible sources and then I will take what you have to say seriously.

Now, go ahead, start another thread and cry and complain about how I don't respond to what you have to say.

twuer, congratulations on saying the same thing ten or more times in a single post. You may now advance to the grand poopoo line with cio!!!

Rusty said:
twuer, congratulations on saying the same thing ten or more times in a single post. You may now advance to the grand poopoo line with cio!!!
Rusty,
Things have to repeated to you amfa wannabes in order for it to sink in. What's so bad is that I have expressed this similar opinion to Bob before and it fell on deaf ears!! Just like I said, you guys hear what you want to hear and dismiss what you don't want to hear.

It's that obvious!!!

You may now advance to the grand poopoo line with cio!!!

I guess you told me!!!!

Bob wrote;
On Tuesday, International Reps Jim Little, Gary Yingst and Robert Gless treated the Executive Board of local 562 to an expensive dinner.

I see a touch of concern! You weren't aske to attend! I believe you are missing your position!

Bob, get over it! Your conspiracy theories have no merit! The TWU represents the members better than amfa or agw could only dream about! Organizing is easy! Representing as, you are full aware of, is a different story! That is why you took the easy road and you were removed for just cause!

You, dave, gary and many of the others will never be happy! As soon as adversity takes over, you all will be the first to jump ship!

Checking it Out said:
Organizing is easy!
cio, if "organizing is easy" then why don't you take your little twu organization and go organize at NWA or UAL and see what you get!!! You have a tittle of Organizer yet you seem to be slipping. I dunno, maybe losing is just your style of organizing and thats why you see it as easy??? I get the feeling from your posts that one of FREUD’s analogies is right on the money with you and some of your cohorts.

I think we all tend to hear what we want to hear and dismiss the rest, I don't think that is an AMFA supporter of a TWU supporter specific trait, atleast not that I have observed.
That is a human trait is it not, people tend to think that there side is the only side and that if they tell their side enough they can convince others of that, the thing is sometimes that actually works. :D

Now what was the difference between AMFA and the TWU again. :D
I opened the can of worms up for you guys. :lol: