It's Official, APFA Vote Passed

NYer

Veteran
Jun 4, 2010
From APFA Hotline Message:

"This morning concluded the balloting to approve or reject the Company's Last, Best, and Final Offer. The results were as follows:"

"Yes: 7,482 votes or 59.52% -- No: 5,055 votes or 40.48%"

"Eligible Voters: 13,544 of which 12,570 cast a ballot representing 92.8% of the eligible voters"

"...In light of last week's announcement from the Creditors' Committee, our bankruptcy team firmly believes we have achieved everything possible."

Congrats to the union, I think they are finally understanding the ramifications of what's been happening the past number of months. The judge's/creditors committee's decisions probably made it easier.

This will only add to the APA's pressure of getting something done with management. This also puts more pressure on Parker to come up with a viable plan otherwise he'll be on the "receiving end" of a merger...

Reactions: 2 people
Management's reaction:

August 19, 2012
Dear Colleagues,​

Today our flight attendants voted to ratify the company’s proposal, which means that we now have ratified agreements with APFA and all seven TWU groups. In addition to these eight ratified agreements, we are moving forward with implementing changes for our independent employees, and this past week we concluded the management/support staff redesign. We also filed a renewed Section 1113 motion with the court to reject our pilot contract so that we can move forward with the changes needed for our successful restructuring. These steps represent significant progress in our restructuring, and we’re well on our way to building the new American.​

As was the case with our other unionized employees, our flight attendants had to make difficult decisions for themselves and their families. We very much appreciate everyone taking the time to consider what’s at stake and voice their opinions in the voting process.​

We are pleased to have reached a consensual agreement with our flight attendants that offers significant improvements over the Term Sheet. The ratified agreement includes benefits that would not have been available without a consensual agreement, including: an Early Out incentive which could potentially eliminate the need for more than 2,000 furloughs, a lump sum payment on date of signing, pay increases over the next five years, an equity stake in the new American and more.​

As we will be doing with the Mechanics & Related and Stores ratified agreements, we’ll be asking the Court to approve this new APFA agreement so we can begin implementing its terms.​

Thank you for your dedication to your job, our company, and your continued care for our customers.​

Sincerely,​

Laura Einspanier​
Vice President - Employee Relations​

Management's reaction:

Sincerely,​

Laura Einspanier​
Vice President - Employee Relations

Who the hell is Laura Einspanier?! Never heard that name before. Vice President - Employee Relations? Then what does Denise Lynn do, who is Senior Vice President - People? Sounds like a lot of overlap to me. I'm telling you, when they made their supposed 20% cut in management ranks they didn't slash quite far enough.

Message from APFA:
Dear Members,
This morning concluded the balloting to approve or reject the Company's Last, Best, and Final Offer. The results were as follows:

Yes: 7,482 votes or 59.52%
No: 5,055 votes or 40.48%
Eligible Voters: 13,544 of which 12,570 cast a ballot representing 92.8% of the eligible voters
Ineligible Votes cast: 990
Phone ballots cast: 9,482 or 75.4%
Web ballots cast: 3,088 or 24.6%

As a result, the LBFO will take effect immediately following approval of the Bankruptcy Court. We expect a decision from the court within the next two weeks.  Please continue to watch these hotline communications for further instructions and details. We appreciate your patience as we work through these logistics.

In light of last week's announcement from the Creditors' Committee, our bankruptcy team firmly believes we have achieved everything possible. If for some reason that proves not to be the case however, our membership can rest assured that our "Me, Too" letter will provide us with any further improvements the APA achieves.

We will now continue our strong and concise message that we have zero confidence in this management team.  We firmly believe that the only way for American Airlines to grow and compete and perhaps even to survive is through a merger that puts Doug Parker and his team in charge.
For now we must remain strong and professional and work to heal from this very stressful process.  It is important to remember who and what has caused this horrible situation: our current management team. The challenges will continue; let's face them together. We must continue to work together to rebuild, sustain and maintain our unity and proud history.

With this vote behind us, our focus will be on achieving a merger with US Airways which will improve on the LBFO and re-establish pride and viability to American Airlines.

Thank you to all who voted. 

In Unity,

Laura Glading, President
Marcus Gluth, Vice President
Jeff Pharr, Secretary
Greg Gunter, Treasurer

Reactions: 1 person
If for some reason that proves not to be the case however, our membership can rest assured that our "Me, Too" letter will provide us with any further improvements the APA achieves.

From what I read of the "Me Too" letter, it is basically worthless from the standpoint of the pilots. It expires 6months after AA leaves BK.

Who the hell is Laura Einspanier?! Never heard that name before. Vice President - Employee Relations? Then what does Denise Lynn do, who is Senior Vice President - People? Sounds like a lot of overlap to me. I'm telling you, when they made their supposed 20% cut in management ranks they didn't slash quite far enough.

Laura's been at AA quite a while. She's a lawyer by training, and runs Employee Relations, which is really just a happier more PC way of saying Labor Relations. I knew of her over in Corporate Real Estate, mainly working with major facilities leases like the new JFK terminal before coming over to ER a few years ago.

And I know it will come as a shock, but there really is considerably more to HR than just dealing with the unions. You also have recruitment (yes, some areas of the company do hire and have turnover), compensation (everything that's not defined by a union), and benefits. In a perfect world, they'd also manage organizational effectiveness, which is happy talk for re-orgs and succession planning of senior managers.

HR has taken some big hits, particularly in the area of benefits management. That's where my wife worked, and large pieces of that group got outsourced within the past seven years (anything related to changing an address, requesting help with a denied claim, etc. is now done by a third party). I suspect that is likely to shrink even further, now that it is more and more likely there's going to be just one health plan for all employees.

Bob had to look up the definition of aquiesience (aquiesce): to consent or comply passively or without protest; the act of giving in to something or someone often a bit reluctantly.

Yep.
Theres a big difference between "aquiescence" and being "on board".

We shall be sure to oblige the quid pro quo of contract law and do for AA what AA has done for us-dead last.