Jb Pushing For Repealing 8 Hour Rule

Winglet

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
www.usaviation.com
Is there any truth that JB is pushing to have the FAA to abandon it's 8 hour flight time in 24 rule? I also hear the pilots are acquiesing to managements push.

Winglet said:
Is there any truth that JB is pushing to have the FAA to abandon it's 8 hour flight time in 24 rule? I also hear the pilots are acquiesing to managements push.
Yes. They want to fly 2 pilots JFK-LGB roundtrip rather than add a third pilot to comply with the FARs. The JB pilots are petitioning the FAA for an exemption.
From what I've read on flightinfo.com, it's the pilots who are pushing for this hairbrained scheme.

You can't stay the media darling forever. First they sell personal information, but if a plane goes down because a pilot was tired, well..............remember ValuJet?

This is all being pushed by the pilots, not Jetblue itself. The pilots are requesting an exemption. Jetblue understnads, very much so that 1 crash could ruin them forever and they stress valujet very much, infact all new hires, pilot or non-pilot, watch a documentary on the Valujet crash and just how easy it is to let lack of integrity kill an airline.

Hi all...just a US Airways poster wanting to toss into the mix.

You folks at JB better organize now, before it's to late!!

Why they have a good thing going at the moment. The fact that the pilots are pushing for this Federal work rule change (to be worked more) shows how well this company gets along.

After stating the above I have to agree with 737nCH11. These are Federal Safety guidlines. They are not in place to undermine how much a pilot can earn. These are in place to insure proper rest, and are safety guidlines for the Flight Crew.

........remember ValuJet?

Didn't ValuJet rename itself AirTran?

When I came to jetBlue, I was shocked.... I thought the 8 in 24 rule was FAR.... turns out it was purely contractual where I came from. (Flight Attendant)

The day pilots can fly more than 8 hours in a day, is just sad. It undermines every act of collective bargaining done before jetblue's conception. For pilots, it is a FAR in addition to being part of many airlines collective bargaining agreements... but in my eyes.... i think its a bad idea. I think its unsafe. I think its unsafe for FA's as well.

Just my opinion. Hopefully the FAA laughs in the face of these idiotic pilots asking for this....

Any JB pilots want to comment on this-- specifically, WHY they want this change?

At first glance it seems like a pathetic thing, to have a group of employees actively work towards degrading the quality of work life even more for all of us, not to mention the safety aspect.

But I would like to hear the other point of view in case I am missing something.

PLANES333 said:
This is all being pushed by the pilots, not Jetblue itself. The pilots are requesting an exemption.
Please. So management has NOTHING to do with this effort at all, and some pilots decided on their day off to do this because somehow it simply makes their lives better with no ill side effects?

Or, since JB management seems so concerned about safety (based on your post), can we assume that management is perhaps *fighting* this effort on the part of its "independent" pilots?

Doubt it.

Since I know nothing about this alleged effort I'll just say that I could see why people would do the turns. It's just a way to work 10-12 days and still get paid the same or more as someone working 15-16 days. It's all about being home with the family.
Further, since we fly a lot of redeyes (legal), many would prefer to simply go out and fly a daytime turn and go home. It beats trying to day sleep on the west coast and flying all night with toothpicks holding your eyes open.

Just opinions. I haven't read anywhere official that this is even in the works.

Thanks for the interesting link, AKAAB.

Unfortunately, it just confirmed my worst fears that the jetBlue group is truly naive in the dark about what they are doing. They either truly believe such a change will "only" affect jetBlue and not spread to other carriers-- or they don't care about the profession as a whole and are willing to sacrifice their collegaues for a momentary gain for themselves. I am not sure which is worse.

And make no mistake-- if they get what they want, it WILL only be a momentary gain for them. Other airline managements will rush to get this put into place at their carriers as well, so the temporary competitive advantage this created for their company them will quickly end. Meanwhile ALL airlines will be stuck with the new FAR. Also, they are wanting this change based on one particular route and the particular scheduling that routing has right now. Next year (or next month) the jetBlule routemap and crew scheduling needs could look totally different, and this rule change could really come back to haunt them.

It is very sad that airline employees not only have to watch our backs as management and the FAA try to degrade our safety and work life quality, but now we have to be defending what little we have left on another front as well-- from our own colleagues in the industry!

Latest posts