Jet Blue To Ric!

dscott12

Dec 28, 2004
GOVERNOR WARNER ANNOUNCES JETBLUE
TO LAUNCH SERVICE TO RICHMOND
~ Low-cost airline to offer daily flights to JFK, Boston ~

RICHMOND - Governor Mark R. Warner announced today that JetBlue, the New York based, low-cost airline, will begin daily service next spring between Richmond International Airport and Boston’s Logan International and JFK International Airport in New York. The expansion of service from JetBlue’s home base at JFK is the result of the airline’s purchase of eight new 100-seat EMBRAER 190 aircraft this year, with an additional 18 scheduled to join the JetBlue fleet in 2006.

“My administration has worked closely with CEO David Neeleman’s team and the Richmond business community over the past two years to bring JetBlue’s low-fare, award-winning customer service to Richmond, which previously has been regarded as a high-cost market,†said Governor Warner. “This expansion means air travel will become much more affordable for both business and vacation travelers, and I am extremely pleased to welcome JetBlue to the Commonwealth.â€

JFK service to Richmond will begin March 31, 2006, with regular fares ranging between $59 and $134 each way; Boston service to Richmond will begin April 6, 2006, with regular fares between $69 and $144 each way.

New York (JFK) to Richmond, VA (RIC) Richmond to New York
Depart - Arrive Depart - Arrive
8:15am - 9:40am (eff. 3/31/06) Daily 6:25am - 7:45am (eff. 4/1/06) Ex. Sun.
12:30pm - 1:55pm (eff. 3/31/06) Daily 10:10am - 11:30am (eff. 3/31/06) Daily
5:15pm - 6:40pm (eff. 3/31/06) Daily 2:25pm - 3:45pm (eff. 3/31/06) Daily
9:20pm - 10:45pm (eff. 3/31/06) Ex. Sat. 7:10pm - 8:30pm (eff. 3/31/06) Daily

Boston (BOS) to Richmond, VA (RIC) Richmond to Boston
Depart - Arrive Depart - Arrive
11:00am - 12:45pm (eff. 4/6/06) Daily 8:00am - 9:40am (eff. 4/7/06) Daily
5:55pm - 7:40pm (eff. 4/6/06) Daily 1:15pm - 2:55pm (eff. 4/6/06) Daily

Governor Warner visited JetBlue headquarters in New York in 2003 to personally encourage airline executives to consider expanding their service to Richmond. Two months later, the Governor hosted a luncheon at the Executive Mansion for CEO David Neeleman, featuring a host of Richmond’s business and community leaders.

“Richmond’s business community welcomes JetBlue’s low fares and award winning customer service,†said James W. Dunn, President of the Greater Richmond Chamber of Commerce. “We congratulate JetBlue and look forward to watching JetBlue grow at RIC.â€

JetBlue is a low-fare, low-cost passenger airline known for providing high-quality customer service. With JetBlue, all seats are assigned, all travel is ticketless, and all fares are one-way. JetBlue currently operates 306 flights a day and serves 33 destinations in 14 states, Puerto Rico, the Dominican Republic and the Bahamas.

•Shuttle service. On Nov. 8, JetBlue will begin shuttle service between JFK and Boston, where it has been expanding.

By Dec. 20, it will offer 10 flights on weekdays, nine daily on weekends. Fares range from $40 to $120 one way. Currently, US Airways and Delta offer New York-Boston shuttle service from LaGuardia, and American from JFK and Newark, N.J., and Continental from Newark. The average fare on the route is $135 one way, according to Back.

•Smaller cities. Between Jan. 19 and April 6, JetBlue will launch service to Richmond, Va., and Austin. Each will have non-stop connections with JFK and Logan.

•Warm-weather options. On Nov. 8, JetBlue will begin flying twice a day from Boston to West Palm Beach, Fla. It will add a third daily flight on Dec. 20. On Feb. 2, it will begin a daily flight from Boston to Nassau, Bahamas. Fares for both routes range from $99 to $299 one way.

•Greater frequency. To improve service for business travelers, JetBlue is adding a fourth flight from JFK to Burlington, Vt., starting Dec. 4, and an eighth flight from JFK to Buffalo starting Dec. 20.

Article

Jim

Well, I guess we'll discontinue BOS-RIC by next August, then. :(

We could always put mainline back on LGA-RIC, where it belongs, to compete. Or we could shrink to profitability. I wonder which they'll choose. :shock:

Oh, and I noticed mainline is coming off LGA-BUF with the December schedule. That'll show 'em.

I wonder what the Guv gave them to come to RIC? "My administration has worked closely with CEO David Neeleman's team and the Richmond business community" sounds like a cash incentive deal to me.

I had heard not too long ago that B6 was coming up with an interim space solution at JFK. How are they going to squeeze any more flying out of there? T6 is crazy... flew out of there recently and it was a madhouse. I've had friends complain of long waits for gates upon arrival at JFK. What's the plan, Stan?

runway4 said:
I had heard not too long ago that B6 was coming up with an interim space solution at JFK. How are they going to squeeze any more flying out of there? T6 is crazy... flew out of there recently and it was a madhouse. I've had friends complain of long waits for gates upon arrival at JFK. What's the plan, Stan?
[post="311188"][/post]​
Found this on the header of the press release on jetblue.com, but the article doesn't say anything more about it:

Airline Will Add Seven New Gates at JFK, Bringing Total to 21; Could Operate up to 200 Daily Flights Before Terminal 5 Project is Completed

Are they going to involve the old T5 in this plan, or build a lean-to?

robbedagain said:
i wonder if down the road that JB will offer flights from say ABE to places like pit or wherever?
[post="311149"][/post]​

JetBlue or AirTran would have an already established market if they tried ABE to MCO or other Florida cities following TransMeridian's demise.

Since JetBlue is mainly point-to-point, I can't see them flying from ABE to PIT

I know for fact AirTran was Seriously looking at ABE and did decide to start service there. However, as Fuel Prices Increased, the plans were put on hold.

I would think that BOS will see a lot of new service with the additional gates and the planes coming on line. I think that B6 has a chance to be the #2 carrier on the East Coast in about 2 or 3 years. Their growth is phenominal. If anyone wants to make a move in the East, they will need to butt heads with AWA and B6. Way to go JETBLUE! Just my thoughts.........

JetBlue and Air Tran?

Why the attention to Richmond? Is any other city getting attention from smaller carriers?

There is a rumor floating about JB going into (DTW) Detroit since NW declared Chap11. Has anyone else heard anything about this?

There is a rumor floating about JB going into (DTW) Detroit since NW declared Chap11. Has anyone else heard anything about this?

Nothing from the NW side of the house...You'd think they might mention it, since all of their communication with the employees talks of "encroachment of the network" by LCC's.