Jetblue Expands Again

bluetoad

Advanced
Dec 16, 2003
NORTHERN CALIFORNIA, HERE WE COME (AGAIN),

JETBLUE TO ADD THREE NEW ROUTES SERVING THE REGION:

NYC-SAN JOSE; WASHINGTON/DULLES-SACRAMENTO; AND BOSTON-OAKLAND

-- Low-fare Carrier to Serve Six California Cities with 41 Daily Roundtrips this Summer- Including Additional Washington, D.C. Flights to Oakland and Long Beach --

New York, NY (March 10, 2004) -- JetBlue Airways [NASDAQ: JBLU] is expanding its service to California this summer with new cross-country routes planned for San Jose, Sacramento and Oakland.

JetBlue will launch new daily nonstop service between JFK and San Jose, the low-fare carrier’s 25th city, starting June 10. The carrier will offer an introductory sale fare on this route of $119* each way, when booked at JetBlue’s website, www.jetblue.com. The sale fare, which requires a 14-day advance purchase, must be purchased by March 26 and is valid for travel through June 30. For an additional $5 each way, this sale fare can also be booked by calling 1-800-JETBLUE. Seats are limited and customers are encouraged to book early.

On May 4, JetBlue will launch nonstop service between Washington’s Dulles International Airport and Sacramento, offering customers the only nonstop flight linking California’s capital and the nation’s capital. JetBlue will offer an introductory sale fare between Sacramento and Washington, DC of $99* each way, when booked at JetBlue’s website, www.jetblue.com. The low-fare carrier inaugurated service between JFK and Sacramento on March 3.

JetBlue also plans additional nonstop flights from Dulles to Long Beach/LA and Oakland, CA, effective May 4. The carrier will offer a total of four daily flights to Long Beach, and three daily flights to Oakland.

Also on May 4, JetBlue will introduce twice daily nonstop flights between Boston and Oakland, becoming the only carrier serving the route. The airline inaugurated Boston service in January with flights to Fort Lauderdale, Tampa, Orlando, Denver and Long Beach. JetBlue will offer an introductory sale fare between Oakland and Boston of $99* each way, when booked at JetBlue’s website, www.jetblue.com.

Both the Sacramento and Oakland sale fares require a 14-day advance purchase, must be purchased by March 26, and are valid for travel through May 27. For an additional $5 each way, these sale fares can also be booked by calling 1-800-JETBLUE. Seats are limited and customers are encouraged to book early.

“Northern California, here we come again†said David Neeleman, JetBlue’s CEO. “We’re excited to be announcing service to San Jose, our sixth California city, just one week after inaugurating our new JFK-Sacramento service. It’s also great to be able to offer new nonstop capital-to-capital service between Washington, D.C. and Sacramento and twice daily flights between Boston and Oakland, just two months after inaugurating Boston service.â€

“JetBlue’s expansion to San Jose demonstrates the growing understanding of the critical importance of Silicon Valley to the nation’s economy,†said San Jose Mayor Ron Gonzales. “We look forward to JetBlue’s growth and success at Mineta San Jose International Airport that will benefit our residents and businesses who can take advantage of more convenient travel to the East Coast.â€

“JetBlue is making travel to New York, Washington, D.C. and now Boston a convenient, reliable and fast way to travel to the East Coast. We’re excited that JetBlue is providing more travel options to Bay Area residents,†said Oakland Mayor Jerry Brown. “Soon, everyone will be flying to Oakland.â€

“JetBlue has reestablished nonstop service connection between Sacramento, the capital of the 6th largest economy in the world and the nation’s capital, Washington D.C.,†said G. Hardy Acree, Director of Airports, Sacramento County Airports System. “This is the second exciting addition from JetBlue to our air service program and proof that the Sacramento regional market warrants transcontinental service.â€

The airline’s regular one-way fares on all three new routes will range from $134* to $294* each way if booked via www.jetblue.com. For an additional $5 each way, fares can also be booked by calling 1-800-JETBLUE.

JetBlue's flight schedules will be:

New York (JFK) to San Jose (SJC)
San Jose to New York

Depart - Arrive
Depart - Arrive

5:30pm – 8:45pm (eff. 6/10/04)
9:45pm – 6:00am (eff. 6/10/04)

Washington, DC (IAD) to Sacramento (SMF)
Sacramento to Washington, DC

Depart - Arrive
Depart - Arrive

9:05pm - 11:40pm (eff. 5/4/04)
12:35am - 8:35am (eff. 5/5/04)

Boston (BOS) to Oakland (OAK)
Oakland to Boston

Depart - Arrive
Depart - Arrive

8:20am – 12:00pm (eff 5/4/04)
8:20pm - 11:59pm (eff. 5/4/04)
10:20am –7:20pm (eff. 5/4/04)
10:25pm - 7:25am (eff 5/4/04)

Well, well....hasn't *this* been the week for announcements so far! :)

SJC makes perfect sense as another red-eye city to start, as does the SMF-IAD.

I'm curious if the 4th LGB-IAD and the 3rd OAK-IAD will be seasonal...guess time will tell on that one.

BOS-OAK is great as I've already had people on the BOS flights asking about that one...there's already been some connecting traffic via LGB.

The Globe and Mail out of YYZ had a very interesting note:

"The airline yesterday filed an application with the U.S. Department of Transportation for a certificate allowing it to operate scheduled air service between the United States and five other countries: Canada, the Bahamas, Bermuda, the Dominican Republic and Jamaica."

Here's the link to the full story:

Globe and Mail: JetBlue International Expansion

The Globe and Mail article goes on to say that Canada is on the radar, but nothing iminent.

An article in the Royal Gazette (BDA) mentions service for next year. Here's that story:

Royal Gazette (BDA): JetBlue expansion

Exciting stuff. It's a great time to be here. :)

BlueCrew said:

I'm curious if the 4th LGB-IAD and the 3rd OAK-IAD will be seasonal...guess time will tell on that one.

BOS-OAK is great as I've already had people on the BOS flights asking about that one...there's already been some connecting traffic via LGB.

"The airline yesterday filed an application with the U.S. Department of Transportation for a certificate allowing it to operate scheduled air service between the United States and five other countries: Canada, the Bahamas, Bermuda, the Dominican Republic and Jamaica."

The Globe and Mail article goes on to say that Canada is on the radar, but nothing iminent.

An article in the Royal Gazette (BDA) mentions service for next year. Here's that story:

BlueCrew ...

Youre right .. it IS a great time to be here (Im Inflight) I watched the pocket session on the intranet with D&D and saw SJC, BOS-OAK, and IAD-SMF coming.

Its a very exciting time for jetBlue and Im glad Im here too. Dont let the naysayers on these forums get ya down!

Theres also rumors (besides all the Canadian stuff) about MIA (since a lot of our FLL pax originate in southern Miami). Dave & Dave also said absolutely not to the rumor about EWR (thank God).

Good times!

downline7 said:
BlueCrew said:

BlueCrew ...

Youre right .. it IS a great time to be here (Im Inflight) I watched the pocket session on the intranet with D&D and saw SJC, BOS-OAK, and IAD-SMF coming.

Its a very exciting time for jetBlue and Im glad Im here too. Dont let the naysayers on these forums get ya down!

Theres also rumors (besides all the Canadian stuff) about MIA (since a lot of our FLL pax originate in southern Miami). Dave & Dave also said absolutely not to the rumor about EWR (thank God).

Good times!
I am really crossing my fingers for MIA. I am one of those jetBlue customers that lives only 5 minutes from MIA. MIA would be perfect. Maybe they will announce it in conjunction with LGA...that would be nice.

One route I am surprised they haven't done, considering how long they have been in both markets, is FLL-OAK. Huge market potential, and the Bay Area is the largest domestic O&D market from Miami not served non-stop from both MIA and FLL. FLL already has six daily non-stops to Los Angeles, one to San Fran would not go out empty.

If Jetblue keeps pressure on the longhaul prices and SWA keeps pressure on the shorthaul prices, they will end up owning US travel in 10 years or so. I saw some numbers in Air Transport World, and B6 is already about 55% the size of America West in only 5 years. Jetblue, in another 5 years, will be the size of AWA, meaning at least 4%+ of the whole US market. Pretty impressive.

I hear JetBlue always saying that they are New York's Hometown Airline. I wish they would fly to more cities in N.Y. than CA. ISP and ALB for starters

LongIsland2004 said:
I hear JetBlue always saying that they are New York's Hometown Airline. I wish they would fly to more cities in N.Y. than CA. ISP and ALB for starters
Well from what I understand, ISP is in the works but SW has a lot of service out of there to Florida so Im not sure if David & Dave deem it a possibility. They may want to focus on airports with better $$ making abilities.

Anyone know how the O/D traffic at ISP compares to the rest of the NYC market?

I, too, would like to see ALB service. There are no flights to JFK as American Eagle pulled their service last year. Jet Blue serves all the other major upstate NY markets, why not the capital region? WN serves ALB, but WN also serves BUF as does Jet Blue. I don't think WN in ALB should be seen as a deterent to Jet Blue.

By the Way...great article on Jet Blue in the current issue of "Airliners".

I hope the scheduling people at Jet Blue realize they are selling tickets on 15 hours flights across the Pacific. Midnight departures from JFK to SJU and Santiago, DR. 6:00AM from Santiago back to JFK, arrive in New York for Breakfast; I will take NYC for lunch, thank you. 9:00pm departures from the east coast to the west with redeyes back, please lets see day light both ways.

I know JB wants max flying hours per day but redeyes to everything with a pacific coast is well DARK. What's wrong with flying to Chicago(MDW or ORD), DTW, MSP, DFW, ATL, MIA, PHX, Mexico( any city), Vancouver, MEM, Nashville, & Honolulu. Miami would be a no brainer, traffic to JFK, SDQ & SJU; take on AA at two airports no just one. Mexico City from JFK and too many others.

IntelligentObserver said:
Sounds like JetBlue might be expanding too fast. How is the stock doing?
Don't say anything negative..you might burst the bubble. These are good times for B6, no one can deny that. Are they expanding too fast..who knows? I for one just hope that the government stays out of the airlines affairs and lets the market dictate what happens. And this coming from a DAL employee. To everyone, good luck!!

Deja vu?.......In April 1981, People Express Airlines was launched - and a business phenomenon took off. By the beginning of 1986, People Express had grown to be the fifth largest airline in the United States, and had revenues of about $1 billion per year. Its innovative management style and structure were praised as the wave of the future, and companies around the world rushed to imitate them. Yet by September of 1986, People Express was nearly bankrupt, and was acquired at the last minute by Texas Air.

Hopefully JB will avoid the errors made by others. Remember the quote about those unfamiliar with history being condemed to repeat it.

desertfox said:
Deja vu?.......In April 1981, People Express Airlines was launched - and a business phenomenon took off. By the beginning of 1986, People Express had grown to be the fifth largest airline in the United States, and had revenues of about $1 billion per year. Its innovative management style and structure were praised as the wave of the future, and companies around the world rushed to imitate them. Yet by September of 1986, People Express was nearly bankrupt, and was acquired at the last minute by Texas Air.

Hopefully JB will avoid the errors made by others. Remember the quote about those unfamiliar with history being condemed to repeat it.
The difference is a little thing called "yield management" PE had none. PE's strategy was pick the biggest markets out of EWR regardless of competition, charge a peak and off peak fare and pray to god the planes fill up. They had no CRS and charged for their tickets on-board, this meant that you could make a reservation and then not show up; in fact you could make 10 for the whole day and pick the flight that worked best for you. Because of this PE had to over book flights in some cases by 190%, well that doesn’t work for long.

PE had no customer service, their policy was pack-em in and charge for all the extras, when there was weather, all hell broke loose in the north terminal, riots broke out, and people hated people express because they had a crappy product. When the BIG guys started to come up with "SUPER SAVER" fares, the cost minded public flocked out of the north terminal and into the seats of the majors. There was nothing keeping PE's customers loyal, except for low fares, but that didn’t last for long.

The difference between PE and B6, is that B6 has a superior product, they have technology to allow them to manage the way they market their product. They have low costs and excellent customer service.

Is jetblue growing too fast? Maybe, but if they are its working to their advantage because they have a darn good product and a darn good looking balance sheet.

That’s that bottom line.

JFK777 said:
I hope the scheduling people at Jet Blue realize they are selling tickets on 15 hours flights across the Pacific. Midnight departures from JFK to SJU and Santiago, DR. 6:00AM from Santiago back to JFK, arrive in New York for Breakfast; I will take NYC for lunch, thank you. 9:00pm departures from the east coast to the west with redeyes back, please lets see day light both ways.

I know JB wants max flying hours per day but redeyes to everything with a pacific coast is well DARK. What's wrong with flying to Chicago(MDW or ORD), DTW, MSP, DFW, ATL, MIA, PHX, Mexico( any city), Vancouver, MEM, Nashville, & Honolulu. Miami would be a no brainer, traffic to JFK, SDQ & SJU; take on AA at two airports no just one. Mexico City from JFK and too many others.
Well jetblue sure fooled the public, because I can tell you first hand that those red-eye flights, that you claim are highly disliked, are full most of the time. We have morning departures to Cali and LAS, but the most popular ones are the night departures from JFK.

Planes333,

It might be the most demand exists for the 9pm departuresfrom JFK, My criticism is the Redeye back to JFK, BOS or IAD where the clock shows no mercy. Are those flights as popular? I can see a redeeye to Europe since there really is no other alternative but from California to the east I will take a 3pm arriving at midnight. AA has flights at that time to JFk from LAX & SFO, isn't that the bird JB is trying to wrestle.