JetBlue to Add More Legroom Across Fleet ...

viggen597

Mar 4, 2003
Visit site
JetBlue to Add More Legroom Across Fleet; Low-Fare Carrier Will Offer Most Customers a Seat Pitch of 34 Inches Starting Fall, 2003

Business Editors/Travel Writers

NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)--July 3, 2003--Beginning in September, JetBlue Airways (NASDAQ: JBLU), New York''s low-fare airline, will provide two inches more legroom for most customers without changing its fare structure.
By taking out one row of seats, the airline will extend seat pitch (the space from the back of one seat to the back of the seat behind it) to 34 inches throughout their Airbus fleet, with the exception of nine rows near the front of the cabin which will remain at 32 inches. With the new configuration, JetBlue''s A320 aircraft will now comprise 156 seats, down from 162 (102 seats now will have 34 inches of pitch while 54 seats will remain at 32 inches).
We''ve always offered an award-winning and very comfortable product but now we''ve figured out a way to give more customers even more room without changing our fare structure, said David Neeleman, JetBlue''s Chairman and CEO. This way about two-thirds of the aircraft will have 34 inches of pitch, making it the most generous legroom of any low-fare airline. We''re always looking to give our customers more: more comfort, more service, more value, and more entertainment. And travelers can expect more innovation from JetBlue in the months to come.
The first aircraft with the additional legroom is expected to be in service starting September 6. The airline plans to have completed work across the fleet by November 19. JetBlue expects the improvement to its product offering will further enhance its brand and, together with yield management, will strengthen the airline''s ability to offset any potential decline in operating revenues resulting from the reduction in seat capacity.
JetBlue is a low-fare, low-cost passenger airline, which provides high-quality customer service. JetBlue operates a fleet of 44 new Airbus A320 aircraft and is scheduled to place into service another nine A320s by the end of 2003. The airline recently placed an order for 100 EMBRAER 190 aircraft with options for an additional 100. The first EMBRAER 190 is scheduled to be delivered in mid 2005. All JetBlue aircraft feature roomy all-leather seats each equipped with free live satellite television, offering up to 24 channels of DIRECTV® Programming at every seat.**

From its base at New York City''s John F. Kennedy International Airport, JetBlue flies to: Fort Lauderdale, Fort Myers, Orlando, Tampa and West Palm Beach, FL; Buffalo, Rochester and Syracuse, NY; Long Beach, Oakland, Ontario, and San Diego, CA; Burlington, VT; Denver, CO; Las Vegas, NV; New Orleans, LA; Salt Lake City, UT; San Juan, Puerto Rico; and Seattle, WA. From Washington DC, the airline serves Fort Lauderdale, FL, and Long Beach and Oakland, CA. From Long Beach, CA, the airline serves Atlanta, GA, Oakland, CA, Las Vegas, NV, Ft. Lauderdale, FL and Salt Lake City, UT.
With JetBlue, all seats are assigned, all travel is ticketless, all fares are one-way, and a Saturday night stay is never required. For more information, schedules and fares, please visit www.jetblue.com or call JetBlue reservations at 1-800-JETBLUE (538-2583). This press release, as well as past press releases, can be found on www.jetblue.com.

** DIRECTV® service is not available on flights between New York City and San Juan, Puerto Rico.

This press release contains statements of a forward-looking nature which represent our management''s beliefs and assumptions concerning future events. Forward-looking statements involve risks, uncertainties and assumptions and are based on information currently available to us. Actual results may differ materially from those expressed in the forward-looking statements due to many factors, including without limitation, potential hostilities in the Middle East or other regions, our ability to implement our growth strategy and our dependence on the New York market, our fixed obligations and our limited operating history, seasonal fluctuations in our operating results, increases in maintenance costs, fuel prices and interest rates, our competitive environment, our reliance on sole suppliers, government regulation, our failure to properly integrate LiveTV or enforce its patents, our ability to hire qualified personnel, the loss of key personnel and potential problems with our workforce including work stoppages, and continuing changes in the airline industry following the September 11th terrorist attacks and the increased risk of future attacks, as well as potential risks with the delivery, placing into service and integration into our operations of the EMBRAER 190 aircraft. Additional information concerning these and other factors is contained in the Company''s Securities and Exchange Commission filings, including but not limited to, the Company''s Annual Report on Form 10-K. We undertake no obligation to update any forward-looking statements to reflect events or circumstances that may arise after the date of this release.

----------------
On 7/3/2003 2:36:39 PM viggen597 wrote:

theyll probably be reserved the in same fashion that they are reserved now.

----------------​
But right now, a person calling in three months in advance on the lowest fare and a person calling in this morning for a flight tomorrow both get assigned the same ''style'' of seat. How will they determine who gets the better legroom?

----------------
On 7/3/2003 12:39:11 PM trvlr64 wrote:

OH MY GOD!! It''s E+ but in reverse. It will be funny to see how many people request to be seated in the back of the bus now!!

----------------​
A questioin....while this is like E+, Jetblue doesn''t have any "elite" program to distribute these seats to "preferred" passengers. How do they plan to assign the seats - or is it first come, first served?

theyll probably be reserved the in same fashion that they are reserved now.

----------------
On 7/3/2003 1:52:50 PM KCFlyer wrote:

----------------
On 7/3/2003 12:39:11 PM trvlr64 wrote:

OH MY GOD!!  It''s E+ but in reverse.  It will be funny to see how many people request to be seated in the back of the bus now!!

----------------​
A questioin....while this is like E+, Jetblue doesn''t have any "elite" program to distribute these seats to "preferred" passengers.  How do they plan to assign the seats - or is it first come, first served? 

----------------​

E+ is a big deal because UA has a First Class cabin, and the extra space was put fore of the wing. The resulting few coach rows that got all the benefit made for a large increase in seat pitch in those rows.

Putting the same space in the back across three times as many rows makes for a much smaller difference of only two inches. So, there''s no need to have surcharges or lotteries to see who gets to sit in the back.

Besides, what kind of lottery pays out to 2/3 of the players?

----------------
On 7/3/2003 2:55:59 PM JS wrote:

Putting the same space in the back across three times as many rows makes for a much smaller difference of only two inches. So, there''s no need to have surcharges or lotteries to see who gets to sit in the back.

----------------​
So, on a JFK-LGB flight, you wouldn''t mind knowing that the guy in the row behind you has more legroom?

Actually, the removal of seats in the B6 configuration sounds familiar -- it was a topic of conversation on the old boards awhile back. It had something to do with extra clearance needed for legal reasons in the back of the 'bus -- not for marketing or competitive reasons. I had been subsequently wondering all this time when this was actually going to take place.

Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Now if it WAS for competitive reasons, I guess they thought it better to have most seats with a 34" pitch than all with 33" and be the same as Song...

----------------
On 7/3/2003 4:40:09 PM runway4 wrote:

Actually, the removal of seats in the B6 configuration sounds familiar -- it was a topic of conversation on the old boards awhile back. It had something to do with extra clearance needed for legal reasons in the back of the ''bus -- not for marketing or competitive reasons (otherwise, I assume they would just take the extra time and spend the extra money to reconfigure the whole aircraft and tout a "more legroom" program ala AA). I had been subsequently wondering all this time when this was actually going to take place.

Does this sound familiar to anyone?

----------------​
Take this for what it''s worth.....I found it on the Yahoo boards, posted by a person using the name b6busdriver:

"The real reason for this is the new weights for passengers. The FAA has increased the weight of the average pax and bags. Another reason is because of the ridiculous law requiring air carriers to carry a wheelchair onboard if so requested. These two rules/laws have rendered these six seats useless. "

KCFlyer - I dont think so no, not if you book your ticket in advance (and book your seat online) or when you check in for you flight (and ask a CSA about available seats). What about people in the exit row or bulkhead? Same thing, just more chances of you getting better leg room.

----------------
So, on a JFK-LGB flight, you wouldn''t mind knowing that the guy in the row behind you has more legroom?

----------------

While the onboard w/c is a topic, the thought of removing seats and increasing legroom, was actually conceived prior to this. It has made a few trips around the halls, but alas, has not been implemented untill now, well in a few months.

It sets jetBlue further apart and offers more civility in air travel, something jetBlue set out to offer in the first place. Secondly, there goes Song claim of offering the most room:)

Anyone, who flew on AA, should have appreciated the extra legroom, I know I certainly did, now you get a great fare and more room. Perhaps it will be known as GEMS, Great Enviroment More Service

----------------
On 7/3/2003 3:18:46 PM KCFlyer wrote:

----------------
On 7/3/2003 2:55:59 PM JS wrote:

Putting the same space in the back across three times as many rows makes for a much smaller difference of only two inches. So, there's no need to have surcharges or lotteries to see who gets to sit in the back.

----------------​
So, on a JFK-LGB flight, you wouldn't mind knowing that the guy in the row behind you has more legroom?

----------------​

Not a bit. Two extra inches -- big deal!

Actually, if the guy behind me is in the first row of expanded legroom, it means I'm in an exit row, so I'm even happier.
1.gif

This is all hypothetical, seeing as how I don't like TV that much anyway, and I have no interest in being on a plane full of TV sets.

----------------
On 7/10/2003 10:04:11 PM JS wrote:

Not a bit. Two extra inches -- big deal!

----------------​

Exactly - it is a big deal to those of us who are tall. That 2 inches can make the difference between coach being literally painful and it being tolerable. If JetBlue can expand to the point where its a reasonable option for me, I''ll start using them now... but when you live in the center of the country that JetBlue has shown no interest in so far, that extra room is only something nice to think about (I could care less about the TVs, but give me the room!)

I am also tall (6''3"), and two inches does not make any difference to me. Double that to four inches ala E+ and then we''ll talk.

Lownslow,
Jetblue has shown particular interest in the midwest from what I hear. Chicago has not offered a very attractive package so far (from what I heard, the gates offered were spread all over the place). When the airport offers us something that will allow us to operate the way we need to, we''ll be there. Unlike some other operations, we will not come in with a half-a$$ed effort. I hope it will be soon.