Jetblue To Lga

DHG750R

Aug 23, 2002
Nuu Yawk
www.atlasair.com
:shock: JetBlue requests 10 slots for LaGuardia Airport
Reuters, 01.21.04, 5:26 PM ET

NEW YORK, Jan 21 (Reuters) - JetBlue Airways Corp. (nasdaq: JBLU - news - people) has filed with the U.S. Department of Transportation for 10 slots to begin service from New York's LaGuardia Airport in spring 2004, the low-fare carrier said on Wednesday.

The four-year-old carrier, which already operates from New York's John F. Kennedy International Airport, said it expects to announce cities and schedules served from LaGuardia later this winter.

Copyright 2004, Reuters News Service

DHG750R said:
:shock: JetBlue requests 10 slots for LaGuardia Airport
Reuters, 01.21.04, 5:26 PM ET

NEW YORK, Jan 21 (Reuters) - JetBlue Airways Corp. (nasdaq: JBLU - news - people) has filed with the U.S. Department of Transportation for 10 slots to begin service from New York's LaGuardia Airport in spring 2004, the low-fare carrier said on Wednesday.

The four-year-old carrier, which already operates from New York's John F. Kennedy International Airport, said it expects to announce cities and schedules served from LaGuardia later this winter.

Copyright 2004, Reuters News Service
I hope they don't get it.. but we all know the DOT loves new competition (grrr at allowing AirTran and Sprit at DCA.. why can't US get a break or get red carpet preference at their home airport?). The LGA main terminal is already full of carriers, and well.. they already base out of JFK.. i don't get what they are trying to do, and I hope they don't have any connecting customers because it could be a pain if their system comes up with routes that arrive at LGA but connect at JFK. They can't put a choke on US.. they don't provide enough mainsteam route service out of LGA. Instead of playing smart like US is supposed to do like provide LGA-MCO, we have to provide LGA-PIT-MCO.

US could win in LGA easily if they have costs under control, they got a nice terminal, a load of slots, and the shuttle. I don't see why US cannot be the dominant carrier at LGA. I don't think it'll happen as long as PIT is in the picture.

Last, JB will end up fighting AirTran and Sprit.

All this does is further illustrate that no airport is going to be immune from LCC competition. It would appear management may FINALLY have realized this and so is now coming up with a plan to deal with it.

Usair used to depart 56 flights daily LGA to fla, then metrojet changed that, so UAIR used to do it they gave it up

This is horrible news for US Air, these LCC's smell blood. First Philly and now Laguardia, this does not bode well for US Air at all.

This may be a smart move, but it could also produce less-than-spectacular results. JetBlue customers are not likely to care too much about saving 15-20 minutes to get to their flight since they are still largely cost-driven. JetBlue could end up stealing passengers from itself.

As for US, yes they have dropped the ball to some degree at LGA. They do have a beautiful terminal there and clearly aren't making the best use of it. There's no reason not to have as many non-stops from LGA as possible - and not just on Dash-8s to smaller cities in the northeast. NYC is still the biggest, best market going and LGA is the preferred airport for most who would fit the US customer profile. It looks like CCY is starting to break away from its hub-only insanity and may well choose to beef up its non-stop presence from profitable "focus cities" like LGA, BOS and DCA.

i think jblu may be growing too fast. it might bite them in the ass in the long run.
remember they have an order for a second type of a/c . shying away from your typical llc ways of doing bussines with one a/c type. they have inflight entertainment which increases their cost. soon they will have to make payments on a/c. another cost issue. there training cost will go up when they get the new embraers. and going into lga one of the most prone to delays a/p in the us. that will increase cost as well. i think neelman is getting to cocky. he needs to be careful. they have a good thing right now. don't mess it up by wanting more. i mean its ok to want more but take it easy. i hope they know what they are doing.

Just wondering if the Port will give them a break on Landing Fees for a while. The Landing Fees alone on an A320 are over $1200. US pay over $1000 on a A319. Very expensive airport to operate at and that does not include rent on the Terminal.

I overheard from a reliable source that the Port Authority would actually be paying jetBlue to land their airplanes at LGA. They figured that if jetBlue wasn't paying rent on their planes, and had free maintenance for life, that it just made sense to give them another freebie. Besides the Port Authority hates lime green airplanes and would love to see more of those cute blue ones filling the ramps at NYC's finest airports. :D

Just a thought...

Maybe it's not US Airways that JetBlue is going after in this move to LGA. Maybe it's AA or CO. I know that from Dallas and Houston, business travelers to NYC would not be caught dead flying into JFK, and to some, EWR is used only if the LGA flights are full.

Rumors have been rampant for some time in Dallas and Houston that JetBlue was going to start service. After all Houston is the 4th largest city in the U.S. and Dallas is like 8th.

10 flights a day by JetBlue wouldn't destroy AA or CO, but it sure would cut into the fares charged.

Flying Titan said:
This may be a smart move, but it could also produce less-than-spectacular results. JetBlue customers are not likely to care too much about saving 15-20 minutes to get to their flight since they are still largely cost-driven. JetBlue could end up stealing passengers from itself.
Titan:

I thought the same thing initially. But I have to assume that they will use LGA slots to enhance service to markets like FLL, where it would seem that they have "unlimited" demand. IIRC, at one point they had 16 daily trips to FLL... If, for example, they feel there is still even more demand for FLL, they could have 21 by running 5 LGA-FLL and 16 JFK-FLL (instead of 21 JFK-FLL).

My guess is that the 5 new trips (if awarded) would be 2 FLL, 2 MCO, 1 TPA.

I think this is directly aimed at Song which serves all 3 major NYC airports. If my assumption is correct, EWR cannot be far behind.

Im trying to figure out why this post was moved from the US board to JBLu's?
It was :angry: It was posted in the U fourm because it directly affects U's employees and operation. What gives?

JetBlue requests 10 slots for LaGuardia Airport

Because Jetblue has a board of its own and the title is JETBLUE REQUESTS......
As you can see from the responses to the original thread, it doesnt just affect US, but AA/CO/DL as well and should be discussed on the board its MOST relevant to which is Jetblue. You can add your US comparisons here if you like as others have done with regard to AA/CO/DL.

jimntx said:
10 flights a day by JetBlue wouldn't destroy AA or CO, but it sure would cut into the fares charged.
Keep in mind that B6 fares are not always the lowest. Granted they start fares low but over time they have been raising fares in markets that they dominate. ie JFK-FLL. Fares on the majors at times are lower than B6

etops1 said:
soon they will have to make payments on a/c.
Make it stop!!! Make it stop!!!!! Not this again. Please!!!! Once and for all, NOBODY get's free airplanes! Not even JetBlue. If this were true, then EVERYONE would be making money. Either that or FIRE the person that negotiated the deal at your airline (fill in the blank) that did NOT include FREE AIRPLANES!!! Come on now get real...think about it!

V1