Jetblue To Reduce San Schedule

ISP

Senior
Apr 3, 2003
Effective September, JetBlue will only be operating 2X daily JFK-SAN. The midday flights will be cut in both directions.

Since launching SAN service, JetBlue has regarded this Blue City as a failure. Typically, JFK-SAN runs at a 65% load factor.

Well actually ... when SAN started, all the flights were full. But, that midday one was always light. I think American (or DL) is also cutting a flight from JFK-SAN.

David Neeleman said in a meeting that he's cutting a SAN, an OAK, and a LGB-IAD to free up some aircraft for the extensive JFK-LGA-Florida flying we'll be doing this winter. We dont regard SAN as a failure, we using the aircraft elsewhere. The two other JFK-SAN's are doing really well.

:D You can't win them all. Just hang in there and keep on plugging. Some routes won't be all that successfull, but you have to fly them to keep market share.

I don't think jetblue would fly a route just to keep market share. I think they will fly each route to be profitable. A 65% load factor just doesn't cut it when you have cities around the country begging you to serve them...many of which could easily fill more than 65% of those fine 320 seats.

Both AA and DL are extremely aggressive against jetblue...their JFKSAN definitely made it hard for B6 to compete.

mp863 said:
I don't think jetblue would fly a route just to keep market share. I think they will fly each route to be profitable. A 65% load factor just doesn't cut it when you have cities around the country begging you to serve them...many of which could easily fill more than 65% of those fine 320 seats.

Both AA and DL are extremely aggressive against jetblue...their JFKSAN definitely made it hard for B6 to compete.
Have been keeping my eye out and the loads this week have been great, though its true that middle flight doesnt fill up as much.

DN wants to focus on NYC-Florda this winter (obviously) and this will definitly free up much needed aircraft for that. Im sure youll see that 3rd SAN back in no time.

I hope SEA, ONT, and BQN get a day flight ... those are always packed!

If Jetblue was not making money on the flight and they feel they can make more money somewhere else, good for them. Jetblue is in somewhat of a battle for the NY-Florida market, so frequency can be a determining factor on someones airline choice. With only 3 flights a day, it is not like Jetblue was a huge presence in SAN. So far we really can't question the moves Jetblue has made, as they continue to make profits and expand. Just my thoughts......

Actually the loads on all three flights have been solid (about 90%)--despite a tripling of service by other carriers from NYC-SAN since we started. I suspect that we really wanted to use that airplane in the middle of the day for markets that were even more lucrative.