Jfk Terminal

Hopeful

Veteran
Dec 21, 2002
JFK terminal has come to a screeching halt. There is absolutely no activity at all. AA has reached an agreement with the PA of NY&NJ to cease construction.
Let the Rusting Begin!

I hopr the RUSTING doesn't last very long. AA should at least finish the satelite building which last I saw was almost finished. The existing terminal is a relic of 707's and when AA flew 747's to San Juan. Even if AA doesn't use the whole facility to the level planned. The PA should finish it as designed for additional space. Given the from 1970 until terminal 1 opened in 1998 nothing got built at JFK, finishing this terminal should be priority ONE. JETBLUE is looking for better quarters, why not have it use Terminal 8, the new AA terminal.

What!!!!! To use these terminals has been a nightmare for passengers. One can't even get close to terminal 9 for drop off or pickup because of all the construction. There essentially are no signs providing directions, as new construction has restricted access.

Last week, I flew to the Caribbean from Terminal 8, but the car service dropped me off at the curb a distance from Terminal 9 because of the limited access. After checking in at terminal 9, we then had to detour around all the construction, going outside of the buildings, so that we could re-enter terminal 8.

It ashame the PA and AA have let this occur. JFK needs development, the terminal should be open to other users if AA can't finish it or use it fully. United at the BA terminal, since the late 1980's, would surely love a JFK terminal on the level of its ORD terminal. Even if AA goes BK, the "new" AA would have large JFK operations. Delta is also looking for a new home, let face it the old Pan AM (Delta's) terminal is well past its prime.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 3/3/2003 3:46:20 PM L1011Ret wrote:

Just joking...what about using terminal 5? You have to admit it is better than 8.
----------------
[/blockquote]

Keeping in mind of course that the jetbridges were all removed by the Port Authority about eight months ago.

5 better than 8? I don't know about that one Bill.

Say what you want about 8/9, there is more room and in terms of passenger amenities.

Pity our JFK terminal 8 inbound passenger,

1- they have to walk down a flight of stairs to the baggage claim area. The escalator has been out for months.

2- They can't find the elevator because of the poor signage.

3- They're harrassed by illegal gypsy cab drivers in the baggage area.

4- Entire area dimly lit, making it difficult to read baggage tags

5- Once outside they discover that they can't even fiqure out where the buses stop much less where do the buses go.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 3/2/2003 11:57:07 PM Hopeful wrote:

JFK terminal has come to a screeching halt. There is absolutely no activity at all. AA has reached an agreement with the PA of NY&NJ to cease construction.
Let the Rusting Begin!
----------------
[/blockquote]

This info is reminding me of an(almost) Crandall "End-around-play"

Stop spending money in JFK and MIA, start crying wolf, and get the respective cities to pick up the tab, to finish the job.

Does RDU/BNA come to mind ??

NH/BB's

Further proof AA really knows how to take care of its passengers!

While on the subject of JFK, I've just heard that Eagle is ending all JFK service except Washington National, Boston, Raleigh, and Montreal effective 1 May. Any truth to this? So far this summer they are discontinuing at least two routes (O'Hare-Burlington and Boston-Portland, ME), while replacing mainline on Cleveland-Dallas and replacing some mainline on Houston/IAH-Dallas, San Jose-Orange County, and Des Moines-Dallas.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 3/3/2003 3:12:01 PM Life_Platinum wrote:

What!!!!! To use these terminals has been a nightmare for passengers. One can't even get close to terminal 9 for drop off or pickup because of all the construction. There essentially are no signs providing directions, as new construction has restricted access.

Last week, I flew to the Caribbean from Terminal 8, but the car service dropped me off at the curb a distance from Terminal 9 because of the limited access. After checking in at terminal 9, we then had to detour around all the construction, going outside of the buildings, so that we could re-enter terminal 8.
----------------
[/blockquo

Depending on which side of JFK you are coming from, you might consider PHL! USAirways will have a brand new terminal open in spring with nonstops to the Carribean!!

Just trying to help[img src='http://www.usaviation.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif'] [img src='http://www.usaviation.com/idealbb/images/smilies/2.gif']

[blockquote]
----------------
On 3/3/2003 10:58:42 PM MAH4546 wrote:

While on the subject of JFK, I've just heard that Eagle is ending all JFK service except Washington National, Boston, Raleigh, and Montreal effective 1 May. Any truth to this? So far this summer they are discontinuing at least two routes (O'Hare-Burlington and Boston-Portland, ME), while replacing mainline on Cleveland-Dallas and replacing some mainline on Houston/IAH-Dallas, San Jose-Orange County, and Des Moines-Dallas.
----------------
[/blockquote]

Yes

Go figure! Wouldn't you say that Eagle is the poster child for a low cost carrier? I don't understand this move! Maybe it coincides with the halt of the the JFK Terminal.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 3/3/2003 11:50:04 PM NewHampshire Black Bears wrote:
This info is reminding me of an(almost) Crandall "End-around-play"

Stop spending money in JFK and MIA, start crying wolf, and get the respective cities to pick up the tab, to finish the job.

Does RDU/BNA come to mind ??

NH/BB's
----------------
[/blockquote]

What good would that do? You mention RDU/BNA, but are you implying that AA would abandon JFK if the PANYNJ doesn't pick up the tab? Unfortunately, AA's threats against RDU/BNA didn't do much to scare those airports. After AA left, other airlines filled...most importantly WN. The only thing AA got was a minimal presence in the Southeastern US, one of the fastest growing regions of the country.

As has been mentioned, MIA is already paying for most of the expansion there. PANYNJ will not pick up the tab for AA's expansion....they don't have the money.

What are all the Eagle flights that AA has at JFK? Are we talking the Saab flights to places like BWI/BDL/PVD,etc?