Jim Little

Bob Owens

Veteran
Sep 9, 2002
Bob,
I do not disagree in principle, and you raise a good point of adding the self help. Then on the opposite side we need to add PEB. Especially, under this darn administration. Growing up in the UK in a Union household you already know my position on AFL-CIO action or lack of. Bob, where I disagree is that we are playing by our rules. The APA is negotiating and the APFA may be negotiating, but we are NOT. I am also not spreading doom and gloom as you put it. I believe we need to prepare and educate our members. It is not a matter of if the company will file it is when and the timeline is rather short. What I can assure you is that this ATD administration does not take the task at hand lightly, and preservation of our members working rights is our Goal.I cannot speak for all of the Presidents. I will also not agree to any permanent changes, as you know we have been there and done that. I remember when I took over as AA System Coordinator and meeting with the Company to discuss a wage reopener during the time when AA was at the prime earnings. I was told sorry we have an agreement in place! I have no disagreement that we can just say No that is easy, but it is not leading. When we feel strongly about something, we will lead, we will act, even if others are not prepared to join us.
As Always,
Fraternally,
Jim

Apparently Jim felt only strongly about protecting his Company paid UB. Thats one of the very few things that was not given up.

That is the TWU full of lies that we wll love to hate and need to replace.

Will I be getting to vote Jim Little out of soon?

YES, the Natioanal Mediation Board representation manual is going to give me a chance to do something the TWU Constitution will never allow.

This E-mail was in reply to one that I sent to Little calling for Nationwide pickets against Delta for firing an organizer. Please note Jims closing comment.

Bob,
You have consistently take on these prolific issues, and I mostly agree with
your position. I should have been clearer in my return E-mail. Sonny is
President of the TTD, as Locals are autonomous so are Internationals and Associations. I do believe you are correct we need to rock the boat. George
Roberts is handling the issue with the Mechanic, and I will follow up with
him Monday. I agree that we need to get out in front especially when an
Organizer is terminated. It is a fact that our members just do not see what
goes on behind the scenes. Quite frankly some of them couldn't care less.
Fraternally,
Jim

Such a comment about the membersis very revealing, and troubling. This is typical TWU International to officers. The strategy is to distance officers from their members and to make them put the International first.

When I attended the George Meany School for Treasurers training Sonny Hall came by and gave a speach that started off by telling us "What a thankless job" we had taken on. Again, this type of thinking being promoted from the top reveals how they really think about the people they claim to represent.

There is no doubt that being a representative can be challenging, fustrating and difficult but to call it thankless? What an insult that is to the people who put you there! How could you claim that the job is "thankless" when the majority of your peers said "I want and trust you to represent me"?

Being elected to represent people should never be called "thankless", it is probably one of the highest honors that could be given to another person.

This organization does not feel that we are deserving. Thats why they do not allow us to choose who runs the union. We have appointed officials who in private reveal their true feelings about those they work for. Perhaps the reason why they feel this way is because they know that if it was up to the members they would not be there.

Notes added in blue italics.

Brother Little,

One of my members sent me the following links to an APA, APFA unity march against AMR.
http://www.alliedpilots.org/Public/General...ymarchpics1.jpg
http://www.alliedpilots.org/Public/General...ymarchpics1.jpg
http://www.alliedpilots.org/Public/General...ymarchpics2.jpg
http://www.alliedpilots.org/Public/General...ymarchpics2.jpg

Can I ask why we were not a part of this march? Were we not invited? If not, does the ATD plan on speaking to it's counterparts at the APA and APFA about why we were not invited? It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that if all our groups were together, that would show AMR it's workers are truly a united front.

It seems to me that the TWU should start to take a good look at the history of unions, and at Craft Unions of today such as the electricians, iron workers and truck drivers. These unions support one another and communicate with one another to gain strength by each others support. You will never find an electrician cross an iron workers picket line. These unions are respected and feared by the companies that employ them. A company would think twice before trying to screw with their members for fear of how the unions would react (notice I said UNIONS not UNION). It's leaders would laugh at judges trying to intimidate them with legal recourse.

Why is the TWU always left out? When will we start trying to bring back strength to our union instead of diluting it's credibility? To be honest, this union receives close to zero respect from any of it's members, be it workers at AA, transit workers or workers for organizations like Keyspan. The reason, this union has no strength, not one company is intimidated or fears the TWU. That needs to change! My question is, what does the TWU plan to do to change it's members opinions and that of the companies that our members work for?

Jim, the international will spend millions of dollars trying to organize new members, but why doesn't the union take the following piece of advice. If we had something to offer, the members will come. Simply put, if the TWU was a powerhouse union that gets great contracts and is respected by it's members and the companies who employ it's members, others will knock down our doors trying to get in. The international should spend money fixing it's own problems; the biggest being it's image. When our members see a unity march against AMR and the TWU is missing, it doesn't send a good message about our strength or unity. It makes our members feel that other unions laugh at us or are embarrassed by us. We all know that AA gets a very harty laugh at us. I can picture the board of directors sitting back with their cigars and cognac laughing at a unity march against AA when the union that represents the largest amount of AA's employees is not even present. It sure makes me feel like a jackass! How does it make
Please give me answers to my questions Jim. Make me feel that I have not wasted the last three years of my life trying to change this union for the better. So many people have put so much into trying to make this union work, don't make their blood, sweat and tears be a waste of time.

Fraternally,
Joe Villano
Executive Board Member
Local 562

Brother Joe,
It is obvious by the tone of your E-mail that you feel we are either not militant enough, or concerned about concerted activity at AA, or for that matter other carriers we represent. I chose our battles wisely if at all possible, and will not risk jeopardizing the future of my members to flex muscle for no apparent reason. Rather that me have to devote the time to answer questions that I had previously discussed with the Presidents at our March 19-20-21 Council meeting. You could have called me, or checked with Bobby Gless.
I explained at the Council meeting that we received a letter from ALPA chairman at American Eagle asking for us to participate on a March against AMR. I asked John Orlando what he knew about it he said nothing. I asked him to call the Pilot rep and find out what it is about. John advised me that it was based on the company's refusing to issue additional flying to the Eagles, and their refusal to negotiate with them (bad faith bargaining) however as you know, ALPA has a 10 year contract with Eagles. Bottom line John contacted the eagle Presidents in the DFW area and the consensus was that since they are going into negotiations this summer it would not be in our interest to participate. We do not have an adverse relationship at Eagle with the company. I told John I would send a letter back and acknowledge our position.

You relate to a great deal of motherhood and Apple pie concepts as all the unions honor one and other. That does not happen within the craft unions. Lets look at it one step closer. During the Last round of negotiations I received numerous E-mail from Union brothers saying that they would cross a fleet service picket line. In fact, I even have had Local officers tell me the same thing yet they call themselfs union. It is easy to let

I have regular discussions with John Darrah of the APA and occasionally with John Ward of the APFA. We have assisted each one of those organizations each time they asked for our assistance even to the extend that John Ward asked me to call Don Carty on their behalf when they stale mated in mediation. I could go on, but for what!

Joe, you make some profound statements against the Organization that you are telling me you support. I do not disagree that we are better served working in unity and I practice that each time I am asked to assist other groups. For your info less that 100 employees participated in the March, and yes, some of the APFA and APA supported the solidarity March. My Idea of a solidarity March would be system wide, and with a major participation by the Pilots and Flight Attendants at American. So I guess my question would be what would we be Marching for more flying at Eagle? It is certainly not bad faith bargaining.

You stated that the International should spend more money fixing it's own problems; the biggest is image. Part of the problems regarding the Internationals image is caused by misinformation to the members or using the TWU International as a scapegoat. We also experience the Locals inciting controversy within the members over rumors and innuendoes. It is easy to use muscle or jump on every issue that is politically motivated. You mentioned a couple of times what is the TWU going to do about this. I think you are as much of the TWU as I am. What are you doing to correct the perceptions? You talk in the third party.

Joe, I am sorry you feel like a Jack Ass! I do not feel that way. I hope you defended us when the brother sent you the E-mail that there must be a good reason why we did not participate in the March. I do appreciate all the Blood Sweat and Tears you have devoted to our union. I do not believe it was a waste of time. We constantly have room for improvement.

Fraternally,

Jim

In a message dated 5/24/2002 10:14:57 AM Central Standard Time, RGless99 writes:

Jim,
I have to admit that I do not remember discussing any thing about a solidarity march between unions on the property at the presidents council (nor do several other presidents I have asked).
The march at the shareholders meeting was a solidarity march, for the shareholders, not a statement by Eagle about contract talks
.(Direct contradiction to what Little claimed occurred)The perception is that there is solidarity among the other unions on the property except for the largest, they are out for them self.

During our negotiations Local 562 picketed with the Flight attendants and on our Informational picket they walked with us. Joe Villano was a picket captain, his devotion has never been in question. I still see the APFA reps and am greeted with a warm welcome.
Solidarity is an issue that is always needed and never questioned.
we should have been part of the march.

Why when an officer asks for help supporting the organization, or gives the leadership advise, his answer attacks and questions his unionism?

Robert Gless
President
Local 562

Bob, (Gless)
What E-mail are you referring? I have written back and forth to Joe a few times, but did not copy the entire Board.
I did not attach Joe's unionism and if that is the perception I apologize. I was giving him the facts. Apparently caught in a lie Little feins ignorance. Note how Jim contradicts himself. First he says "What E-mail", and then goes on to explain what he wrote.)I appreciate your defense of a Local officer and respect it. I would be disappointed if you did not! Why did my e-mail get sent to the AMFA site and Mc Tiernan? Why was his E-mail harsh against the organization instead of asking the question? What purpose would that serve? Why would an officer chose to castigate the organization without the facts? Why did Joe refer to the TWU in the third person? I discussed the March in my report when I discussed Eagle and the upcoming negotiations and the letter I received from ALPA regarding the March. We reviewed the issue with the APA and their Legal council Bill James way before the March. As I stated to Joe in my E-mail (that I did not copy everyone in on) we have an excellent relationship with the APA and the APFA. (Little once told me that he has no use for the pilots as they are always trying to sell us out.)I discuss issues especially with the Presidents regularly. I have made it a point since I took office and signed a letter supporting each other that I s
It is amazing to me that this issue gets all blown up way out of proportion because a member asks a question to Joe. Did Joe call you and ask if you knew why? Could Joe have called me and discussed this issue and others without all the innuendoes? Bob I get calls all of the time from members and refer them to the Local, I also get questions from other Local officers. I normally do not get my response to what I thought was a legitimate question posted on the AMFA net. So, lets take a look and what transpired its amazing and you now start all over.
Joe, E-mails me and CC board members.
I write back to Joe CC board members. My email gets sent AMFA and Mctiernan (SAN). Who by the way has been Organizing for AMFA.
Mctiernan Writes to me in response to my E-mail to Joe, and plays spin Doctor
Then I receive a CC from Bob Owens
Then and answer from Joe
I write back to Joe No CC.
Joe writes to Me No CC.
It was obvious that Joe did not send the E-mail to Mctirnan (AMFA ORGANIZER).
I send Two E-mails one to Joe (detailed) No CC. and one to the Board.

Bob, that is not my style. If I have issues I deal with them up front and that is the way you and I have done business. I do not have time for petty BS or responding to internal issues on the AMFA site. I have communicated with Joe since he wrote to me, and I responded numerous times since the first e-mail. Joe and I have came to an understanding he apologized for his tone and I accepted. That does not mean that I think he is not a good union officer. Why would you Zero in on that when I never said he wasn't? In fact I took offense that he thought all of his "blood sweat and tears" where wasted. Bob, I think you know I have always supported Local 562 without hesitation and I am not afraid to take on issues or picket. I need to know the facts before I jeopardize my members or Locals. I do not like to be sabotaged. I do not conduct business that way and expect the same respect.

If you like, I can get a letter from APA to satisfy whoever? But I doubt if they will reduce to writing the reason they did not do a system approach or why the small turn out. There are a great deal of politics in their decisions.
Fraternally,
Jim

----- Original Message -----
To: Jim Little ; Alex Garcia ; Bobby Gless ; Chuck Schalk ; Curtis Gentry ; Don Videtich ; Duke Hingley ; Garry Drummond ; Gary G. Peterson ; Jack Maddish ; Jeff Ortegren ; Jim Brinker ; Joe Gordon ; John Conley ; John Orlando ; John Plowman ; Keno Carr ; Mark Rasco ; Mike Chiafolo ; Pat Noonan ; Paul Cassidy ; Paul McCormick ; Randy McDonald ; Rick Rodriquez ; Russ Bataglia ; Tim Gillespie ; Todd Woodward
Cc: Robert Gless ; John Conley ; Gary Yingst
Sent: Sunday, February 23, 2003 8:42 PM
Subject: Re: Overview of bankruptcy procedings.

Jim
With leadership comes with the responsibility of informing those you lead with all the possible outcomes, but it also comes with the responsibility of finding a way to win, leaders should give hope and direction.
If the President tried to impose a PEB, then we have to be returned to the conditions prior to the dispute, or status quo. If the status quo is not restored I would expect the Union to disregard the PEB upon moral principle since the PEB is based upon the RLA and all of the restrictions on self help are centered around the maintenance of the status quo. If the Bankruptcy Judge imposed changes-upon the companies request, then the judge by his ruling would have brought us straight to the self help step of the process. A PEB should be ignored if the self help is in response to court ordered concessions. Clearly a PEB issued in conjunction with court imposed concessions violates the intent of the RLA and to tolerate such a flagrant injustice by obedient submission just invites more abuse from the industry and the corporate controlled government.
Our members need to be lead. They need to be informed of what faces us and they need to be told to prepare to resist. We know that the government is clearly on the side of the corporations, this is not a new development. The government has been under such control for a long time however we have one thing in our favor, the corporate/government alliance hates disruptions. In fact, historically government reforms have only come when the threat of disruption becomes obvious and imminent.The old men in D.C. and 1700 Broadway will never lead any disruption. They are too old and have been beaten for so long that to them a stalemate is considered a great victory. Technically you work for 1700 Broadway and your ability or authority to lead us is limited. You will need a mandate from the locals that they will not recognize any replacement that the old men should send should you lead us to resist PEBs or injunctions. After the spectacle I saw this last December where Local 100 was fighting for such basic rights such as disciplinary hearings done on company time and the way Sonny failed to put political differences aside and abandoned these members I am convinced that no matter how bad things get the old men will never lead us in battle. We will be told to "live to fight another day, when in reality it is "live to surrender another day". In closing I will quote from a memorial to a man who I'm sure you are familiar with " The great appear great because we are on our knees. Let us rise!

Mourn not the dead that in the cool earth lie-
Dust unto dust-
The calm, sweet earth that mothers all who die
As all men must...
But rather mourn the apathetic throng-
The cowed and the meek-
Who see the world's great anguish and its wrong
And dare not speak!
Ralph Chaplin

Bob,
I do agree we should take a stand and I am not shy in that arena.Where I am disappointed is the lack of involvement by the AFL on an industry impact.You are so wrong about Local 100. We TWU International offered assistance a number of times, We have correspondence to that fact. It was under the Locals request that Sonny did not intervene. I believe we should have! We can debate the perception, but the facts are there. One cannot believe everything that is written in the newspapers. I believe they try to sensationalize.

Cheer up! The worst is yet to come!"
~ Mark Twain

Later!
Jim

Take note of Jim Littles quote "Cheer up, the worst is yet to come! Its nice to see how Jim thought it was a big joke how we lost 17.5% of our pay and most of our benifits to preserve the Internationals company checks!

Received from Bob Owen: RE United Airlines
Sent: Thursday, March 13, 2003 4:10 PM
Subject: Re:

When the first contract is voided we should all walk out.

Bob,
I received your E-mail regarding UA and 11-13. As a Union Officers you are placing our membership in jeopardy by your suggested walk out. We (Presidents and Negotiating Committee, Consultants and Legal Team) are doing all possible to protect our members "quality of life" we do not need to end up in court!

As you know, labor is being attacked on all fronts. The UA issue needs to be handled within the court. W should get however get the AFL & TTD involved.
It would be in our members best interest for you to retract your statement. As we discussed at the Council meeting all Local communications should be handled with care with the advance of bankruptcy on the radar screen.
Thanks,
Fraternally,
Jim

To: Jim Little
Cc: Bobby Gless ; Chuck Schalk ; Cindy Winslow ; Curtis Gentry ; Don Videtich ; Duke Hingley ; Garry Drummond ; Gary G. Peterson ; Jack Maddish ; James C. Little ; Jeff Ortegren ; Jim Brinker ; Joe Gordon ; John Conley ; John Orlando ; John Plowman ; Keno Carr ; Mark Rasco ; Mike Chiafolo ; Pat Noonan ; Paul Cassidy ; Paul McCormick ; Randy McDonald ; Rick Rodriquez ; Tim Gillespie ; Todd Woodward
Sent: Saturday, March 15, 2003 3:34 PM
Subject: Re: E-mail

Jim;
You must be joking!
What would Mike Quill say?
Would he join in the retreat or would he say the same as I?
STRIKE is not a four letter word! Our labor leaders need to use it now and then. I agree that labor is being attacked on all fronts, I also see that while they are using all the weapons at their disposal we do not use what we have. One of their best weapons is the courtroom. We are playing by their rules and losing. The UA issue needs to be brought to the streets where we should help them, not sit back and do nothing except figure how AA will be able to swell TWU ranks when UAL folds! Instead of fighting back with weak words we should start using a few strong ones. I agree we should ask the AFL-CIO and the TTD for help. We should make our plea loud and clear that we are under attack and we need their help and then shut the whole thing down. If they chose to turn their backs on us like they did to PATCO , well at least we know where we stand and the true value of the organization.
Twenty years ago PATCO warned the other unions that they too would get picked off one by one if they failed to stand up to Reagan, they were right. As the graph I sent you on mechanics salaries shows our top paid mechanics lost $150,000 thanks to the weakness of the labor movement. In the 80s the unions failed to unite and rise to the challenge, all working people have paid the price ever since. The TWU claims that Bush is worse than Reagan (COPE Conference) but what have we learned except to shout a few words of indignation as we empty our pockets into theirs once again. Its sad but true when people say that history repeats itself.
Jim, I do not work for you, I work for the people who elected me and it is in our interests that we do not give concessions. Its in our interests that UAL workers are not forced into concessions. Its in our interests that the courts realize that unfair treatment in their courtrooms will result in disruptions to the economy outside their courtrooms. Its in our interests that those who are attacking us know that we will fight back even if our leaders are afraid to even utter the word strike. Being that by and large the Union leaders of the 80s, who in a few short years managed to lead their people into losing much of what had been gained since FDR, hand picked their successors its likely that these hand picked successors will follow in their predecessors missteps.
I retract nothing.

When the first contract is voided we should all walk out.

Fraternally;
Bob Owens

Bob,
I think you know better than that...Those are the E-mails that caused the APA $48M in the infamous sick out. I have no problem striking if the time was right, and in fact I will lead the charge. I know you would be there also. I do appreciate your zeal! When was the last time a bank robber notified the police he was going to rob a bank? As I stated, those type of E-mails are irresponsible. I believe we all have the members best interest at hand.
Later!
Jim
Ps. I think Mike would say: lets use our BIG Heads instead of our little ones.

To: "Bob Owens" <[email protected]>; "Little, Jim" <[email protected]>
Sent: Sunday, March 16, 2003 12:15 AM
Subject: Re: Fw: E-mail

> Jim,
>
> I agree wholehearted with Bobby Owens. The IAM's struggle is our's as
> well. It was a sad chapter in Labor history when Unions turned their
> backs as Lorenzo voided contracts @ CAL. If UAL void their contracts
> with workers we can either make amends for our past negligence or once
> again participate in the dismantling of Labor with inaction.
>
> Gary
>
>
>

Gary,
Bob knows we share the same views. I grew up in the UK in an all Union
family and walked many a national picket line. As you know, we are being
attacked on all fronts, and need the AFL-CIO to take a major role. If we sit
back all of our maintenance will be in CHINA! When will the AFL wake up and
take the lead role?
I attended the Senate hearing on "Binding Arbitration"
in which ALPA testified on behalf of the TTD. Even if the AFL-CIO was not
testifying ALL of the national officers and national unions top leaders
should have been in the audience. That would have made a powerful statement.

We would also have received national press. I have made my position known! A
call for only AA or a specific Local to walk out plays right into the
company and the administrations hands. When will everyone in labour wake up
and realize if we do not role back the labour of old to the 40s, and take a
more militant position there will be no labour.

Do not misinterpret my position as not in agreement with Bob. I am just
protecting our members from another court battle. I am in full agreement
that when UA files 11-13 all bets are off and AFL-CIO needs to come out in
full force across this country not just the aviation side. Gary both you and
Bob are prolific and as I told Bob I wish we had others with his zeal! Let's
work together and plan an all out blitz. Maybe, we should have a conference
call?
Thanks,
In solidarity,
Jim

March 17, 2003

VIA FACSIMILE & U.S. MAIL

Mr. John J. Sweeney
President, AFL-CIO
815 16th Street NW
Washington, DC 20006

Dear President Sweeny:
On behalf of our working men and women in the aviation industry, I urge you to take a strong stand against the plans of various bankrupt carriers to abrogate their collective bargaining agreement (CBA) and, in particular, the Scope clauses. This will have a major impact on the entire Aerospace community, based on the fragile state of the Legacy carriers.
Our major concern is that the absence of a CBA will provide the opportunity to have major maintenance performed outside U.S. soil. We will see denigration to our current aviation safety and the security of high skill high wage U.S. jobs. As an example, the cost of Maintenance repair in China is $48-60 dollars per hour less than similar work performed in the U.S.
In 1997, when we mounted an aggressive fight on HR145, it was shown that most foreign repair stations performing maintenance on U.S. aircraft do not meet the same regulatory, and safety standards abroad as have to be met in the U.S. Currently, in too many cases, foreign repair stations working on U.S. aircraft do not meet the same high standards required in our country and has become far too easy for foreign repair stations in countries like Mexico, Costa Rica, and China to receive certification to perform major maintenance on U.S. aircraft. We cannot allow corporate America, our legislators, or our Labor leaders to allow our Aircraft maintenance to be performed overseas. We, within the AFL-CIO, need to
March 17, 2003
Page 2
do all possible to make sure the traveling public is educated on the fact that our highly skilled personnel working on aircraft in the U.S. have a high level of safety and regulatory standards, and all U.S. aircraft are maintained by a standard set of regulations.
Given the opportunity and the current state of the legacy carriers, corporations will no doubt try to cut corners on aircraft maintenance by flying them to foreign countries. This will not only threaten high-wage U.S. aviation jobs, but also compromise the safety of the flying public. The use of uncertified or "bogus" parts also is a growing problem throughout the world.
As our leader, I urge your consideration in mounting a media campaign and a nationwide demonstration on this matter.

Sincerely and fraternally,

James C. Little
Director Air Transport Division
Intl. Administrative Vice President.

JCL:cjw opeiu-153 afl-cio
C: Sonny Hall, President TTD
Ed Wytkind, TTD, AFL-CIO
TWU-ATD staff

Notice how Jim also likens our struggle to keep what we negotiated to a bank robber stealing from a bank. Is he saying that we did not deserve the raises we negotiated and should not announce to those who would take it away that we will defend ourselves?
I doubt that the letter to Sweeney was ever sent, as no reply was ever forwarded to us. To me it seems that the letter was written for Gary and I in order to show that Little was trying to get the AFL-CIO to move. I called the AFL-CIO and they said that they do not lead intiatives, the member unions lead them while the AFL-CIO coordinates them.

Either way, its interesting how in these letters Jim repeatedly tries to fault the AFL-CIO for his lack of action. He blasts the AFL-CIO repeatedly then tells us we should stay with the TWU because they are affiliated. Yet he repeatedly admits that the affiliation needs to "wake up", and then he brings back and signs into effect the most concessionary contract in the industry! Look at how he flipped floped from saying not to be militant because it puts our members in danger to saying that we must be more militant or there will be no labor movement. So whats the deal here? Could it be that Jim, the International and many of the Presidents were simply taking whatever means neccissary to preserve their check from AA?

Roland, Our committee on both the Joint and the M&R would not agree to outsourcing. The committee also tried to shrink the carrier in lieu of wage cuts, but AA would not agree.
Later!
Jim

So who "saved " jobs. Here Jim Little admits that the committee chose to shrink the company but it was THE COMPANY that would not agree. They wanted their concessions and as we know with the TWU; "What the company wants, the company gets".