Job Fair In Baltimore Tuesday, January 18th

Jan 16, 2003
www.usaviation.com
Hi Everyone,

I need help. I am applying again for a ramp agent position in Baltimore on Tuesday, January 18th. I was rejected last year after making it to the second interview. I am 43 years old and presently employed as a supervisor for a well known grocery chain.

My life long dream has been to work for an airline. I would like it to be Southwest.
I am willing to relocate to any city.

I would appreciate any help or suggestions anyone has to help me do better this time.

I was frankly unprepared for the interview. It consisted of 10 questions all in regards to my present job. I was planning on talking very little about my job other than to say it was the time to move on and fullfill a life long dream of working for Southwest Airlines. I answered all the questions but frankly had to be creative with some of my answers.

Does anyone know what they are looking for in the second interview? Should I expect the same questions if I get another chance?

My friends all think I am to old for the job. But my age was on the application. With all the layoffs in the airline industry do I have any chance coming from outside the market.

Any help would be greatly appreicated.

Thank you
Airplaneguy1999

You have to remember, we only hire the cream of the crop. You have to have something special to offer the company. We get so many applications that we only hire about 1 person out of 1,000. Just be yourself, and hope that it is enough.

Airplaneguy,
Good luck. WNrforlife is correct inasmuch as WN is picky about hiring. I don't know that I'd say WN always gets the "cream of the crop" (I'm here, after all), but they do try very hard to get good people with good attitudes. It certainly is advantageous not to crisis hire and get a future "problem child" and I think this is why so few get the nod here.

If you are a supervisor with a major company, you will have to convince the interviewer that you really know what you are getting yourself into... Ramp work is very tough physically and has to be performed in all types of weather 365 days a year. A couple weeks working in LAS in August or MHT in January and the old Safeway might start to sound pretty good. When you're young and in college or just starting out, working the ramp might be fun. When you're our age, it's a lot like hard work. Convince the interviewer that ramping is where you want to be and that might help. Since you've done the interview before, you should know what to expect. Show the interviewer what YOU can bring to the party (in terms of previous experience) and that should help as well. Above all, be yourself.

Have you thought of applying for any other positions?

Good luck.

Thank you both for the advice. I will let you know how I make out on Tuesday.

For the past year pretty much the only entry level jobs offered have been on the ramp.

Airplaneguy1999