John Deere?

Crzipilot

Veteran
Mar 23, 2004
Just curious, I noticed one or two last month, and now it seems all of B con in CLT, has at least 1 bright green John Deere tractor at each gate. How or why did these end up there?? Just curious, as they have the typical tractor tires on them, would think they'd wear down pretty quick on the concrete. Or is it bring your tractor to work day or something??? Or someone get a nice kickback or what?

I was wondering the same thing, why are they using AG tires instead of turf tires....unless their leasing them as is..

When I used to fly into Roanoke I notice they had a tractor to pull bag carts, but it was painted grey and had a US decal on it. Can't remember if it was John Deere or Massey Ferguson.

I've often wondered why the industry didn't just use the so-called compact tractors that run about 30 HP and have to be cheaper than the airline-only models that everyone has.

Old old old Paul Harvey story...

There was this farmer who wanted to put signs on everything... so he put a sign "DOG" on his dog, "COW" on his cow, and "DEER" on his John Deere tractor. Next morning he saw someone shot a hole in it.

The old PSA bought small Koboda 4-wheel drive tractors for the smaller stations. The tires were loaded with lead shot and could drag just about anything, even pushed a BAE-146 at one station. Not bad for 34hp and really low gears. 15 mph tops. It seems that PSA could buy 4 Kobodas for 1 airline tug.

You think that's weird, I was in charlotte about 3 months ago and saw an ambulance with suitcases on a stretcher. I even mentioned it here, what in the H*ll was that about. Maybe they were practicing or something. It had it's emergency lights on and was accompanied by 1 other police/security type car with emergency flashers. Wished I'd grabbed a cell phone pic. I asked 2 employees 'what was that about' and they both said 'hell if I know."

You think that's weird, I was in charlotte about 3 months ago and saw an ambulance with suitcases on a stretcher. I even mentioned it here, what in the H*ll was that about. Maybe they were practicing or something. It had it's emergency lights on and was accompanied by 1 other police/security type car with emergency flashers. Wished I'd grabbed a cell phone pic. I asked 2 employees 'what was that about' and they both said 'hell if I know."

Organ Transplant parts transfer. :up:

I asked my pushback crew in CLT if somebody's brother-in-law had a John Deere distributorship. He laughed and said he hears that a lot. Then proceeded to tell me that the tractors are temporary replacements until the REAL tugs can be delivered. US is paying $1300/month/tractor to have these gems on the ramp. I don't know the price of one of those things if bought outright, but I suspect that by the time we get the REAL tractors, we probably will have been able to buy those John Deeres outright several times over.