John Tague - Ua Employees And Customers Only

UnitedChicago

Veteran
Aug 27, 2002
www.usaviation.com
Looks who's back - back...back again...

Well I said adios because of Chip. However, I've learned that if the thread starter requests only UA employees and UA customers - that you know will not be allowed to post.

So...with this option - I'll post if it's just us UA employees and customers.

--

As a customer, I've been VERY impressed with how aggressive United has been with promotions. I just received an email that offers me a free upgrade if I buy a full fare coach or business class ticket.

I feel that John Tague has had a very positive influence on United. He seems to come up with an idea and launch it immediately rather than thinking about it for months.

Anyway...more on this topic later...off for the holiday.

Take care everyone and keep up the great work!

UC

When UAL's CH11 experience is a distant memory, I think that we will all look back and see John Tague as the best thing to happen to the company in a great while.

I've heard from one of our 777 CAP's (who witnessed this first-hand btw) that at unspecified times, depending on the load, UAL is offering upgrades to Business Class for $300-$400. He was told at one of our stations this spot promotion (unable to book to take advantage of it) raised close to $100,000 in July. This is another of Tague's idea's. (On his particular flight they had 6 or 7 takers.)

I agree, thus far Tague's been an aggressive sort. I'm sure that's something the competition is concerned about....an aggressive UAL for a change. Wow! What a concept.

Cheers,

Z B)

United Chicago:

Welcome back! :D

The upgrade promotion you are referring to is our latest Elite Upgrades. It is apparent that Mr. Tilton has given Mr. Teague the latitude to rapidly introduce his revenue-generating idea/promotions to the market. I'm sure he bounces his ideas off the appropriate people through company email. Email must be wizing back and forth these days, because he sure has been coming up with some great promotions, e.g. Buy Three, Fly Free or Buy a First or Business class ticket and get a bunch of frequent flyer miles in your account. The Mileage Plus Visa Card is offering 15000 miles with your first purchase just for signing up. Keep you eyes open, there's undoubtedly many more promotions to come. We've had to hire a bunch new reservations agents just to handle the call volume. With this being said, I hope that Mr. Teague initiates a program of working with the front line agents to teach them how to have fun doing their job by making it fun for them.

Welcome back United Chicago.

It does appear that John Teague is doing a great job in marketing UAL's product. I hope that UAL continues to meet your highest expectations of service.

Im sorry but I have to ask a question don't you as a FF get upgrades in the mail for flying so many miles etc...and if so why would you buy a Full fare to get a free upgrade. I know U gives all it's premire flyers free upgrades alot of them by the way.

Marketing for market share any thing to put tushes in the seats.

Yes it is a great idea :rolleyes:

Doc said:
Im sorry but I have to ask a question don't you as a FF get upgrades in the mail for flying so many miles etc...and if so why would you buy a Full fare to get a free upgrade. I know U gives all it's premire flyers free upgrades alot of them by the way.

Marketing for market share any thing to put tushes in the seats.

Yes it is a great idea :rolleyes:
Only certain fares are elgible for upgrades.

If you already fly 100k a year at UAL, these promotions aren't aimed at you. They are aimed at the 100K fliers at DAL, NWA, AMR, and ALK.

United today announced a new upgrade policy that seems to have Tague's fingerprints all over it. It looks like it will benefit United's Mileage Plus Premier members and above, and seems like a good move to attract new (and keep current) high-fare passengers.

Here's the press release to read about it.

It's beginning to appear that John Tague does not sleep. How does he do that ?

Certain posters have stated that UAL doesn't have a plan. I don't have any inside info, but I have heard it said within UAL that the long-term plan is to keep focusing on the business traveler. What John Tague is doing certainly reinforces this. CEO Tilton has turned Tague loose, and is winning back business customers with these innovative promotions. Latest MarkeTrak surveys of UAL Mileage Plus customers provide concrete proof that this approach is working.

sniff....I'm sure gonna miss commuting in first class from now on. I know this will be a great method of getting are passengers to book on United. Unfortunately, when they call early boarding for premiers, half the people stand up. Sooooo, of to coach I go! Great Plan though.

737nCH11:

737nCH11 said: “Certain posters have stated that UAL doesn't have a plan.â€￾

The New York Times reported on August 30, shifting course yet again, United Airlines said yesterday that it did not expect to emerge from Chapter 11 bankruptcy proceedings this year after all, blaming an uncertain economic outlook for prolonging its work on a restructuring plan.

The Chicago Daily Herald wrote on August 30, Bankrupt United Airlines gave more clues on its recovery strategy on Friday but critics claim its direction is still frustratingly unclear. "It's hard to ferret-out what is a blip and what is a recovery," said Nicolas Owens, airline analysts, Morningstar Inc., a Chicago-based investment research firm. "It's more likely that (recent operating profit) is a blip." United also seemed uncertain about its prospects.

Michael Boyd, founder of the Boyd Group, Evergreen, Colo., an airline consulting firm said, “This airline (United) is rudderless.â€￾

James Sprayregen, United's lead bankruptcy lawyer, said in court last Friday, "It remains to be seen whether the revenue recovery will be short or long-lived."

Chip comments: 737nCH11, it’s great to not have you respond, however, it appears other people including United and its bankruptcy counsel are now echoing comments I made a few months ago on this message board “that UAL doesn't have a plan.â€￾ If they did, they would have submitted it to the court. In addition, I believe United knows full well what the revenue forecast is, but the problem is the number will not provide a 7% profit margin within 7 years. Thus, the company does not qualify for a loan guarantee, which is a key component probably required to obtain exit financing, unless assets are sold.

Best regards,

Chip

Hmmmm.....I thought this had to do with John Tague. On that note, do we have any DEN CSRs or other employees who can report on Tague's recent alliance with the Denver Broncos. This promotion is targeted at Denver Mileage Plus customers only. It is obviously a shot across Frontier's bow. Shrewd, very shrewd. :up:

A "recent" Boyd Quote

"United's service is outstanding right now. It isn't good. It's outstanding," said Michael Boyd, president of the Boyd Group in Evergreen, Colo.

"Remember, they're in Chicago, and two concourses over, American is boarding millions of passengers. Why not go after them? They should tell their employees, `Feel sorry for American because we're going to put them out of business.'"

YOY capacity issues:

A better measure of United's downsizing is the 7.5 percent decrease in available seat miles flown during the first six months of the year. Although that may sound substantial, it is less than US Airways' 11.9

Latest posts