John Tague Ual/ata

C54Capt

Senior
Dec 28, 2002
Big Sky
Visit site
Just some food for thought. John Tague, the former CEO of ATA and Vanguard Airlines was hired by United during reorganization to fix their model. A 20/20 look back shows the fruits of his labor at his previous airlines. Vanguard is Chapter 7, and ATA is Chapter 11 with a distinct possibility of going Capter 7. The sad part about ATA is that before Tague changed their model, they were a very successful airline. Since Tilton has no airline experience, do you think he surrounded himself with the best folks to cure UAL's ills? No flame here, just interested in what you think and I'm interested in a constructive debate.

I feel that the BOD of UAL couldn't find a capable airline experienced exec to take on the job at United. We are stuck with Tilton and his advisers who have no success in running a profitable airline.

That is my opinion.

Gatemech is correct. Tilton was the umpteenth choice, and he arrived handcuffed (i.e. Jake Brace) but Tilton was a CEO-level candidate.

The UA Board should've reached further into the minor leagues of airline exec talent and elevated a hungry dark horse talent.

Kinda like when Pope John Paul II came out of nowhere.

An interesting question for this board would be: who is the real wizard-behind-the-curtains at UA? Where is the power centered?

Tilton was always just another guy treading water. Too bad for UA.

whatkindoffreshhell said:
who is the real wizard-behind-the-curtains at UA? 
[post="200100"][/post]​
You gotta be kidding, right. There is none.

2 years and counting and these yahoos can't come up with a business plan? 2 fukking years of doing not a g0d damn thing but reacting to the marketplace and finally they come up with a 'plan' to gut labor.

This airline sucks, the people who manage it suck, the BOD sucks...every last one of them all together have failed to create a viable airline. A bunch of loser executives. There ain't a wizard here. It's Alice in Wonderland.

They've had 2 fukking years...and now it's labor's a$$ that's going to save this airline. Now that's initiative, that's enterprising, that's resourcefulness. An oil man? Give me a break!

NOTHING at this airline is changed. Not a g0d damn thing!

spacewaitress said:

They've had 2 fukking years...and now it's labor's a$$ that's going to save this airline. Now that's initiative, that's enterprising, that's resourcefulness. An oil man? Give me a break!

[post="200105"][/post]​

Ah come on SpaceWaitress, stopping sugar-coating it. Tell us what you really feel!

Cheers,
Z B)

spacewaitress said:

2 years and counting and these yahoos can't come up with a business plan? 2 fukking years of doing not a g0d damn thing but reacting to the marketplace and finally they come up with a 'plan' to gut labor.

This airline sucks, the people who manage it suck, the BOD sucks...every last one of them all together have failed to create a viable airline. A bunch of loser executives. There ain't a wizard here. It's Alice in Wonderland.

[post="200105"][/post]​

You need a drink.
I got one.

My opinion is that UAL should have courted a CEO that was willing to clean house at UniTED. That's what it finally took after two BK'S at Continental; they finally got rid of most of the upper management and had better folks in place when GORDO got there.

UniTED management is a poisoned den of thieves that thrives on not who you know but who you BLOW. Not who you are, but who's family you belong to, or who you might be married to. It's had the same management/employee culture for decades. Why would it change? Unless UniTED fires the top 200 folks and starts over it will NEVER CHANGE. Look at EFLOP; give the employees more say in the day-to-day operation right up until the point of contract negotiations. Then it's back to good old intimidation tactics once again. The only way the employees at UniTED will see their company a great airline again is to hope that they get a trustee appointed to guide them out of BK.

Because, I agree with SW that after two years in BK and look where they are today :shock: ??? The same place they were two years ago, but with an ever dwindling balance sheet. And look what the employees have to show for it MORE CONSSESIONS, ROBBED OF THEIR ESOP, MORE MEDICAL EXPENSE, and THE LOSS OF THIER RETIRMENT. I still can't for the life of me understand why Goodwin, Dutta, McDonald, and Brace haven't faced an SEC investigation as to what they have done to UniTED Airlines and the loss of the 8B in profits they made off the employees ESOP