Jumpseat (pilots)

StatioRat

Feb 28, 2004
Can someone tell me why Jumpseat riders (Pilots) have the privilege to fly any airline they want while the rest of us have to buy ID90. I never had a problem with this when they only got on if an actual Jumpseat was available. Now that they ride in the cabin we sometimes get 5 or 6 to a flight. If a crew member chooses to live in a city other than their base, they should nonrev like everyone else. This practice needs to stop. We spend so my time booking other airline crews while we could be helping our own passengers. I just think if the crews are allowed to fly other airlines free, others in the industry should have the same right.

Because it was negotiated? All airlines do the same thing... This is not just a US deal.

Statio,

Not an expert. However, I think it was the best solution going after 911
to deal with the majority of pilots who commute for many varied reasons,
some beyond their contol or desire. Recall that prior 911 the TSA did not have their current policies against airline jumpseats. Changing rules midstream is always a challenge.

That being said, I hate jumpseating and seldom if ever do it. That feeling is common and not to be considered a perk in getting to work situations by me.

FA

StatioRat said:
Can someone tell me why Jumpseat riders (Pilots) have the privilege to fly any airline they want while the rest of us have to buy ID90.  I never had a problem with this when they only got on if an actual Jumpseat was available.  Now that they ride in the cabin we sometimes get 5 or 6 to a flight.  If a crew member chooses to live in a city other than their base, they should nonrev like everyone else.  This practice needs to stop.  We spend so my time booking other airline crews while we could be helping our own passengers.  I just think if the crews are allowed to fly other airlines free, others in the industry should have the same right.
[post="297632"][/post]​

The privilege was negotiated. It is rare when there are more than two jumpseaters on a flight.

Additionally, post 911 rules restrict the actual cockpit jumpseat to an airline's own pilots (including wholly owned and code share). Others may only ride if there is a seat available in the cabin. This will change when all airlines are on board the CASS system. A special database that will once again permit OA pilots in the cockpit.

You shouldn't have a problem with this at all.You don't spend that much time processing a jumpseater over a regular pass rider. Same number of keystrokes.
Perhaps you should negotiate your own deal with the company. But it might cost you something else to get it.

Once again, it's not a right, it's a privilege we earned and I'm glad to extend the courtesy to a brother/sister pilot who needs a ride. It has been a professional courtesy since the early days of airline flying ,although airlines like Delta and American were late in offering the courtesy. We always gave them a ride, even knowing they could not reciprocate due to company policy.

I believe HP is now online w/CASS.

StaioRat, if your agents spend too much time booking jumpseats, perhaps a switch to the HP method is in order.
First come, first served at the podium, of course w/preference given to HP pilots. Fill out a simple form, don't waste anyone's time.
We put jumpseaters in FC, if available. (which is rarely these days)

jetblue f/a's can ride cockpit j/s. once a year as part of their observation program. but the pilots ask them " is this your first time riding up here" and they of course say " yes". so that means that they ride cockpit j/s all the time.

Rat:

There is not a jumpseater out there that would not love to bypass the entire gate operation and just go straight to the plane. Talk to your people, put a plan together and make it happen; we'll all be on board with you.

Thanks!

Pardon my ignorance, but regardless of where they sit, aren't the number of flight deck jump seaters limited to the number of jumpseats on the flight deck? That would normally be either 1 or 2.

isn't that correct?

jm

Justme said:
Pardon my ignorance, but regardless of where they sit, aren't the number of flight deck jump seaters limited to the number of jumpseats on the flight deck? That would normally be either 1 or 2.

isn't that correct?

jm
[post="297738"][/post]​

That depends on the airline. Some limit it to the number of jumpseats in the cockpit. Some will take any number, as long as there is an open seat on the plane. It's hard not to have to jumpseat when airlines change bases all the time! DH has only lived in base once--and that lasted only 9 months!

HR Diva

US Airways will be on CASS in early October. Was up amd ready but it was decided to link to AWA pilots database. That is being finished up now and will be tested throughout September and online in early October.

desertgal said:
I believe HP is now online w/CASS.

StaioRat, if your agents spend too much time booking jumpseats, perhaps a switch to the HP method is in order.
First come, first served at the podium, of course w/preference given to HP pilots. Fill out a simple form, don't waste anyone's time.
We put jumpseaters in FC, if available. (which is rarely these days)
[post="297682"][/post]​

Actually, agents do not book the jumpseat. USAirways pilots have the ability to make a jumpseat reservation 7 days in advance via a toll free telephone number.
USAirways pilots have had this additional privilege for many many years and it works very well. Hopefully, this will be retained post merger.

Most agents have no problem processing jumpseaters. Where they sit in the cabin is up to the Captain's discretion. USAirways permits as many jumpseaters as there are open seats in the cabin. Rarely are there more than one or two.