Junior CSS''s and Senior Furloughs

Seatacus

Veteran
Aug 19, 2002
Puget Sound
www.usaviation.com
Is it all over the system that junior CSS''s remain in a protected classification when it commes to furloughs? In SEA our most senior furloughee had 31 years seniority and most junior CSS quite a bit less. And what are your CSS/Agent ratios after furlough are finished? SEA has [STRONG]FIVE[/STRONG] CSS''s with only SEVEN full-time agents and sixteen part-time agents. In SEA we are currently operating with five total flights , four on morning shift and one red-eye.

i think it is system wide..we lost over 50% flts since 9/11..had 39 now have 17. lost about 35% work force..had 11 sups with 39 flt have 10 with 17 and as you say some are junior to folks on the street..also, if i am not mistaken a supervisor can bump down if there senoirity carries it but agts cant bump up..your ratio is way out of wack..you might just get your own personnel supervisor (wouldn`t that be cozy). this seems to be a very hot topic in most stations..the cwa did not want to get involved with this in the original contract and station manager seems to control who fills the jobs. YOU ARE NOT ALONE...GL..

CSS is a protected classification at U. The manager, not seniority dictates who gets the job. A CSS cannot be bumped out of class by a senior agent. All 3 CSS's in my station are way junior to furloughed full time agents.

Your ratio is whack, but I'm guessing the company has discretion over that. Have your steward run it up the union flagpole, but I wouldn't expect much.

The CWA erred in this one. Why afford some quasi-management jagoff union protection?

hope...it has nothing to do with pay...the airline industry as a whole has 1 constant..seniority..we are the only group where employees in the same function..customer service(you are under same contract),allow junior agts to maintain positions and are not effected by seniority.

DIOGENES....i had it run up the flagpole...about 2 months ago
went to the top...basically the response was we know, its not right, css can perform agt function and we have no control over it. in reality you could end up with only css left. YES , YOU CAN THANK THE CWA FOR THIS ONE.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 12/6/2002 10:25:21 PM diogenes wrote:

CSS is a protected classification at U. The manager, not seniority dictates who gets the job. A CSS cannot be bumped out of class by a senior agent. All 3 CSS's in my station are way junior to furloughed full time agents.

Your ratio is whack, but I'm guessing the company has discretion over that. Have your steward run it up the union flagpole, but I wouldn't expect much.

The CWA erred in this one. Why afford some quasi-management jagoff union protection?
----------------
[/blockquote]
But oh my friend it not a mistake, look at the make up of the original negotiating committee.

This was very deliberate!!

[blockquote]
----------------
On 12/6/2002 10:55:38 PM hopethingswillbeok wrote:

sorry folks, i know this may upset you, but the css is only paid, a few cents now per hour than a csa,,,,,,everyone has a chance to apply for the job, you can't win if you don't enter.....i'm sure you enjoy when the passenger is screaming at you, just call the css,also do you know all of the paper work and crap a css puts up with.....you must know or you would have became a css many years ago....sorry if this upsets you, but when times get tough, everyone decides they should have looked at other options......
----------------
[/blockquote]
------------------------------------------------------------

Wrong! Everyone could apply, but the manager decided who got the job. And who'd he pick? Mostly, the malleable types. At least in fleet, the manager had zero discretion; it's strictly a seniority play.

You MAY get a lead that sucks via seniority, but at U, I'd take my chances with that as opposed to management 'discretion.'

sorry folks, i know this may upset you, but the css is only paid, a few cents now per hour than a csa,,,,,,everyone has a chance to apply for the job, you can't win if you don't enter.....i'm sure you enjoy when the passenger is screaming at you, just call the css,also do you know all of the paper work and crap a css puts up with.....you must know or you would have became a css many years ago....sorry if this upsets you, but when times get tough, everyone decides they should have looked at other options......

[P]
[BLOCKQUOTE][BR]----------------[BR]On 12/6/2002 10:55:38 PM hopethingswillbeok wrote:
[P]i'm sure you enjoy when the passenger is screaming at you, just call the css,also do you know all of the paper work and crap a css puts up with.....you must know or you would have became a css many years ago....[/P]--------------[BR]I sure do call them now. Before I used to try to handle things myself, but I'm too busy now doing my job to take care of theirs. Also in certain cities, the supvr are carried by the agents. Had to do an invol reissue tonight for a supvr who couldnt figure it out while I was checking in the line for my flight at the same time. Good thing I keep up with things or I'd be in lots of trouble. Not all supvr are this way, but there are enough of them out there....[/BLOCKQUOTE]

[blockquote]
----------------
On 12/7/2002 12:40:56 AM tadjr wrote:

[BLOCKQUOTE]
----------------
On 12/6/2002 10:55:38 PM hopethingswillbeok wrote:

i'm sure you enjoy when the passenger is screaming at you, just call the css,also do you know all of the paper work and crap a css puts up with.....you must know or you would have became a css many years ago....[/P]--------------
I sure do call them now. Before I used to try to handle things myself, but I'm too busy now doing my job to take care of theirs. Also in certain cities, the supvr are carried by the agents. Had to do an invol reissue tonight for a supvr who couldnt figure it out while I was checking in the line for my flight at the same time. Good thing I keep up with things or I'd be in lots of trouble. Not all supvr are this way, but there are enough of them out there....[/BLOCKQUOTE]

You're not suggesting that unqualified people are promoted...i.e...don't even know the job functions....not in TPA!

It's not going to matter in the very near future.

You know what I mean. You know what I mean. You know what I mean. You know what I mean. That's about all my CSS knows how to say. You know what I mean.

Yes, I do know what you mean. Now turn out the lights as we all leave.