Just a "Little" Lie

TWU-GOTTA-GO

Advanced
Nov 22, 2006
http://startelegram.typepad.com/sky_talk/2...a.html#comments

April 04, 2008
TWU's Little: AA talks 'going nowhere'
Jim Little, international president of the Transport Workers Union, told the Wall Street Journal that talks with American Airlines are "going nowhere." He said the company is looking for more cuts at the bargaining table.

"The first thing they wanted to do is take away the retiree medical," Little said. "I get tired of hearing about the impact of rising fuel costs on the carriers. Everybody we represent is facing the same thing."

Little's comments on high fuel costs are particularly interesting, given the recent flap over John Conley, the union official who pointed out that high jet fuel prices could have an impact on negotiations. Little placed Conley on administrative leave this week, after many union members complained about the comments.

One AAer suggested to me that Little's outlook is premature, given that the union just began negotiations in November. Airline labor talks often drag on for years before being resolved.

Still, when talks began Little told the Star-Telegram that he was hopeful a new contract could be signed by the date the current deal opens for changes. That looks highly unlikely at this point, given that the contract's amendable date is May 1.

UPDATE, 2:21 p.m.

Sue Gordon, a spokeswoman for American Airlines chimed in regarding Little's comments, and I thought I'd highlight her response here:

Trebor, although I rarely jump into blog conversations, I want to ensure AA’s comment in the WSJ article regarding retiree medical is also fairly reflected in the discussion. Retirement security is important to our employees and we need to set the record straight. We have not previously proposed nor do we have any proposals currently on the table that would eliminate retiree medical from our employees.

It would appear that Ms. Gordon has just caught former AA management Jim Little in a lie, as the twu continues to try and lower our expectations. Time to start a petition for the removal of Jim Little from his position, it's pretty sad when we got to get our info about the contract negotiations from the company. Who's spreading the fear this time Jimmy?

Sue's a straight shooter, and was my wife's boss up until the 2003 RIF's... Former flight attendant who worked in a bunch of different HDQ areas, so she's not just another talking head.

Sue's a straight shooter, and was my wife's boss up until the 2003 RIF's... Former flight attendant who worked in a bunch of different HDQ areas, so she's not just another talking head.
Kind of sad but I actually believe her over the previously known liar in Little. Can't put much credibility into someone like Little who bought a bachelors and masters degree from the diploma mill called Columbia State University, and then actually used them to bolster his resume within the union and on their website. :huh:

It's the pensions....

Not after the $2 billion plus that AA has shoveled into the pensions since 2002.

What probably happened is that Little asked AA how big a raise he could get the membership if AA canceled things like retiree medical. AA answered hypothetically, and now Little is lying to everyone about how AA wanted to cancel retiree medical.

It's a crime that these thieves get 24 hours worth of pay each year from AA's underpaid mechanics and ramp. :down:

This is the kind of BS that happens when you have ultra-secret negotiations and no membership observers in negotiations.

Why doesn't our union allow us to see both the Union Proposals to management and the Management Proposals to the Union?

If Little was so damn set on a contract by amendable date then he should have opened the negotiations using the early opener he obtained in the "without further ratification" deal after the Special Retirement Plan was discovered hidden. The TWU was allowed to use section 6 openers in 2006 and simply sat on their asses while kissing the company ass in the working together scheme.

These morons are still kissing the company ass daily, and were fools enough to believe that AA would compensate us nicely in negotiations for the after the fact huge dollar savings that has been allowed during the working together lovefest debacle since the 2003 industry leading concession agreement. The Company has played Jim Little, Dennis Burchette, and the rest of incompetent appointed gang for the idiots they are and now they want to use unconfirmed media hype to hide their failures.

My bet is there was offer to buy us out of our prefunding retirement medical and Little is twisting the truth but doesn't want to show us the factual proposal. This proposal was part of the earlier SECRET negotiations for a contract extention last fall.

I personally don't believe or trust the union or the company leadership anymore.

Gee,..........maybe if we could get the DFW/TUL membership to ..."Grow-a-Pair", then we could VOTE the Vile TW-Useless out altogether !!

I resent that remark!

We had enough cards to have a vote.

We were screwed over by the company, the company union, and the NMB.

I was there, put 5 plus years of time, money, and effort into that path of solution and got screwed,

What exactly did you have in mind to try now?

Gee,..........maybe if we could get the DFW/TUL membership to ..."Grow-a-Pair", then we could VOTE the Vile TW-Useless out altogether !!
With maintenance, DFW is never a problem. Title 2 are be the biggest twu supporters, followed by MCI percentage wise, and then Tulsa. Of course Tulsa does bring in the most cards as a whole, but in order for a drive to succeed we would need half of Tulsa to get on board, and based on what we see from the field-trippers, Tulsa is quite happy right now.

Looks like Little Jimmy Hitler has got caught with his pants down again!!! And we are all reminded why they call him Mr. Little..............yea thats right............giving it his best two minutes and leaving everyone else unsatisfied!!!!!!!! As always he is cumming up a little short of everyones expectations!! Hey Little Jimmy where is that full revote you promised us?? And why have I never recieved a ballot with your name on it or any of your yes men, punks, drunks and felons name on it?????????? What a Democratic union!!! The International will be the demise of the T.W.U. and that is just fine with me..........the sooner the better!!

I can tell you are running on perception and not the truth. DFW has always been over 90% for the last 20 years on card signing. TUL has been at 35% or better for the last 12 years. Title II has been at 1% or less for the last 20 years. TUL would have to be at 50% to off set Title II. I think you need to take another look at your figure pointing.

Kind of sad but I actually believe her over the previously known liar in Little. Can't put much credibility into someone like Little who bought a bachelors and masters degree from the diploma mill called Columbia State University, and then actually used them to bolster his resume within the union and on their website. :huh:
This situation is trully a cunundrum. On one hand we have a known liar in the person of Herr Little. On the other hand we have a corporate spokes person; who by definition is also a liar. Who do you believe? This calls for further detailed analysis.

With maintenance, DFW is never a problem. Title 2 are be the biggest twu supporters, followed by MCI percentage wise, and then Tulsa. Of course Tulsa does bring in the most cards as a whole, but in order for a drive to succeed we would need half of Tulsa to get on board, and based on what we see from the field-trippers, Tulsa is quite happy right now.

And go where? AMFA? AMFA is as dead as a doornail! The Teamsters already signed off with the TWU they will not raid them.

Why be aligned with an existing union at all? Create an independent union like APA and APFA did. That way, you're more or less guaranteed to have the level of democracy and accountability you've been craving for. If nothing else, APA and APFA are a lot more transparent because you don't have competing interests within the same union. Think back to when APA supposedly represented Eagle pilots. How in good faith could they be negotiating changes to a scope clause which benefit one group over the other? Oh wait, they did that. And the Eagle pilots bailed out for ALPA as quick as they could...

Why be aligned with an existing union at all? Create an independent union like APA and APFA did.
Might see that sooner than you think. <_<

But you got to appreciate the classic twu show going on here with Little. The first thing to be leaked out of negotiations is done by Little and it's bad news. Makes up this stuff about the retirement medical, knowing that it will scare all the oldtimers, just so Little the savior can come in later and say, "sure we didn't get anything, but we fought real hard to keep what was important--the retirement medical." I don't think Sue Gordon knows how much she just undermined the twu and their whole negotiation strategy. :up: :up: