just election facts please

dfw gen

Veteran
Dec 1, 2011
in the case there is a representation election what are the rules on the vote COUNT? for example say there are 12,000 members eligible to vote. say only 8,000 members bother to vote.the ballot to my understanding should have 4 options
1) twu
2) ibt
3) write in option
4) no representation

if the results are:
1) twu 1000 votes
2) ibt 2500 votes
3) write in 3500 votes
4) no represenattion 1000 votes

who wins the election? is it won by the majority of the ballots cast ie. the write in option, or does no one win because there was not a 50% of the eligible votes received by any of the options.

please no speculation just the facts according to the nmb.

The bottom two vote get taken off the ballot and the top two have a run off.

That's the way I understand it as well. Using your examples above, #2 having 2500 votes, and #3 having 3500 votes would have a separate run-off election with new ballots only listing the "write in" union (AMFA) and the ibt since these two received the most votes out of the 4 options. Now if you get the 50% plus one to "write in" AMFA, then AMFA will be certified with no re-run, same goes for any of the options getting the 50% plus one votes.

All the answers are here. Very easy to read.

If there is not a clear majority winner 50% plus of casted votes, then a run off of the two top organizations will be conducted.

Please read the NMB manual. It is not a long manual and is very easy to read.
Forward the manual link to anyone who has questions. I hear people at work saying that if there is no clear winner and the vote is split the TWU wins by default. NOT TRUE. I wonder who could be spreading that rumor?

http://www.nmb.gov/representation/representation-manual.pdf

RUN-OFF ELECTIONS

When an election results in no option receiving a majority of the

valid ballots, or

in the event of a tie, the Board shall hold a run

-

off election between the two

options receiving the largest number of votes. The procedures for run

-

off

elections are set forth in the NMB Rules § 1206.1 (29 CFR § 1206.1).

In a run

-

off

election, the ballot will not include a space for “write

-

in” votes. The

option receiving the highest number of votes in the run

-

off is declared the

winner. (See 29 C.F.R. § 1206.1).

More and more fellow AMT's are being educated on the WRITE-IN option and they are interested on how it works. After explaining the process and letting them read the NMB rules it is clear that the WRITE-IN option will be used because many are just plain tired of the TWU and know that the Teamsters are no different than the TWU.

AMFA on the Write In is the best choice for all AMT's at AA.

Maybe after there is an announcement that an election will happen some road shows are in order to help spread the "write in" options. I know the manual is there to read, but we all know how lazy most are and will not seek out the information for themselves. Just a thought...

If there is not a clear majority winner 50% plus of casted votes, then a run off of the two top organizations will be conducted.

so then it is a clear majority of the CAST votes not the ELIGIBLE votes.

thank you for the clarification.

so then it is a clear majority of the CAST votes not the ELIGIBLE votes.

thank you for the clarification.

That is correct the top 2 ballot winner names would have a run-off if no one name gets a majority. It needs to be clarified that the #3 write-in option would be broken down and tallied separately for each name voted for within that option. In other words the write-in option isn't just tallied as one total it has to take into account all the different names within the write-ins

I SEE SO #2 having 2500 votes, and #3 having 3500 votes would have TO BE BROKEN DOWN LIKE 3000 FOR MICKEY MOUSE AND 500 FOR AMFA SO separate run-off election with new ballots only listing the "write in" union MICKEY MOUSE and the IBT since these two received the most votes out of the 4 options.
GOT IT!

GO IBT
VOTE IBT
IBT IN 2013

I SEE SO #2 having 2500 votes, and #3 having 3500 votes would have TO BE BROKEN DOWN LIKE 3000 FOR MICKEY MOUSE AND 500 FOR AMFA SO separate run-off election with new ballots only listing the "write in" union MICKEY MOUSE and the IBT since these two received the most votes out of the 4 options.
GOT IT!

GO IBT
VOTE IBT
IBT IN 2013
your doing a fine job travis you just lost an ibt vote.

Reactions: 2 people
GOT IT!

GO IBT
VOTE IBT
IBT IN 2013

I have more respect for Mickey Mouse than the IBT.

Reactions: 2 people

Latest posts