Kindness helps us heal

FenixFlyer3

Advanced
Mar 9, 2007
http://www.azfamily.com/news/specialreport...k.b0be0efe.html

It's been six weeks since that terrible crash. We lost two of our colleagues, Scott Bowerbank and Jim Cox.

It's been a difficult time for all of us, but one thing that's gotten us through -- the support from all of you, the 3TV community.

Your kindness never ceases to amaze us. And we received a special surprise here at the station that reduced all of us to tears.

It was during our morning meeting that we got an unexpected knock on the door. Four US Airways employees were there with a very special gift -- a sculpture made from an out-of-service Boeing 757 aircraft -- a memorial to Scott and Jim.

"Some of the employees had gotten together," said US Airways welder, Russ Lasewicz. "They wanted to do something."

They weren't looking for any publicity, and reluctant to appear on camera, these men came out of the kindness of their hearts.

And as luck would have it, Jim 's parents just happened to be in town this weekend.

Jim's mom, like the rest of us, was overcome with emotion.

"That's lovely, very lovely, very kind," she said as she admired the sculpture with Scott and Jim's name etched forever in titanium.

Lasewicz spent hours of his own free time working on the memorial for two men he didn't even know.

"When I heard what had happened, I was saddened and I felt this was a good gesture," he said.

"Aviators have a very tight-knit community," said US Airways manager Steve Bobzin. "It's just something that's very broad."

Thanks to the kindness of four strangers, the memories of Jim and Scott will live on, forever etched in titanium, and in our hearts.