Kiosk Check In for exit row seat

phlus2

Senior
Apr 11, 2007
Unfortunately, I have to fly on US tomorrow because I need to go to Boston and the only way to get there is US as Air Tran times didn't work for me.

So anyway, I booked on the web site, and selected an exit row aisle. The web site said I would not be able to check in at the kiosk because of having an exit row seat, and that I would have to see an agent to get my boarding pass because the kiosk would not print it.

But, tonight I checked in online and printed my boarding pass at home no problem.

Who came up with this stupid rule? They have really got to be kidding on this one.

If I am reading your post correctly you're upset that the EXIT ROW was not released prior to check in. It's always been my understanding that the agent is to visually inspect the occupants of the exit row to ensure they speak English and are not disabled. They must be able to operate the exit since those seats are not for leg room, it's there to egress an aircraft in an emergency. The company would take that out in a heartbeat if the FAA would let them. I hope for one they continue to withhold those seats until they have spoken to and assessed the occupant. Honestly, a Pilot or deadheading crew member or other airline employee should be assigned the seat first as they are intimately familiar with the operation. Maybe a priority list for that row? If no airline people are on the flight I say assign them to our FF. Flame away!

If I am reading your post correctly you're upset that the EXIT ROW was not released prior to check in. It's always been my understanding that the agent is to visually inspect the occupants of the exit row to ensure they speak English and are not disabled. They must be able to operate the exit since those seats are not for leg room, it's there to egress an aircraft in an emergency. The company would take that out in a heartbeat if the FAA would let them. I hope for one they continue to withhold those seats until they have spoken to and assessed the occupant. Honestly, a Pilot or deadheading crew member or other airline employee should be assigned the seat first as they are intimately familiar with the operation. Maybe a priority list for that row? If no airline people are on the flight I say assign them to our FF. Flame away!

No - you aren't reading my post correctly.

I WAS able to reserve the exit row when I booked my ticket on the web site. BUT - the web site told me that I wouldn't be able to check in at a kiosk at the airport for the reason you stated - that an agent had to verify that exit row occupants able to assist in an emergency. Makes sense to me actually.

However - I was allowed to check in online and print my boarding pass at home without a problem for my exit row seat. Last time I checked there was no US Agent in my house making sure I would be able to assist in an emergency if seated in the exit row.

I WAS able to reserve the exit row when I booked my ticket on the web site. BUT - the web site told me that I wouldn't be able to check in at a kiosk at the airport for the reason you stated - that an agent had to verify that exit row occupants able to assist in an emergency. Makes sense to me actually.

sky high states: And, here I thought those seats were reserved for Airport issue only. Interesting. Now, I'm wondering, what row and seat did you get? And, what aircraft?

only stating opinions

sky high states: And, here I thought those seats were reserved for Airport issue only. Interesting. Now, I'm wondering, what row and seat did you get? And, what aircraft?
only stating opinions

I reserve them on the website in advance all the time. My company website will not allow me to book them, so I pick another seat, then head over to usairways.com and move to the exit row. That was one good feature when they switched systems, you could change seats online.

Unfortunately, I have to fly on US tomorrow because I need to go to Boston and the only way to get there is US as Air Tran times didn't work for me.

So anyway, I booked on the web site, and selected an exit row aisle. The web site said I would not be able to check in at the kiosk because of having an exit row seat, and that I would have to see an agent to get my boarding pass because the kiosk would not print it.

But, tonight I checked in online and printed my boarding pass at home no problem.

Who came up with this stupid rule? They have really got to be kidding on this one.

Exit row seats should NOT be given via kiosk or home computer!!!

The agent should have to physically see you in order to award the exit row.

Too many times pax have to be removed because they don't meet the criteria or are too fraile.

This is right on in my eyes...... :up: :up: :up:

No - you aren't reading my post correctly.

However - I was allowed to check in online and print my boarding pass at home without a problem for my exit row seat. Last time I checked there was no US Agent in my house making sure I would be able to assist in an emergency if seated in the exit row.

This explains why I keep getting all these pax in the exit row that are clearly NOT exit row qualified. Once again, some
one in Tempe is NOT doing their job. Somehow this doesn't surprise me.

This explains why I keep getting all these pax in the exit row that are clearly NOT exit row qualified. Once again, some
one in Tempe is NOT doing their job. Somehow this doesn't surprise me.

The only time Tempe understands rules is when fines come down for breaking them.

Not being an IT person or an agent I can't speak definitively but from observation on the plane the exit rows seem to be reserved for for the FF.

Don't know if this is true but after looking at these people for several decades it sure seems that way.

I like how people make it sound like the gate agent is the last line of defense against ineligible people sitting in the exit row. :rolleyes: How do you think Southwest handles this? Hint -- why are flight attendants on the plane when people are boarding?

The bottom line is the system is flawed. The res system and kiosks are pieces of junk. The exit row seats should be given by the agent at the gate. They make the decision to give you the seat. Based on what the flight attendants are taught regarding FAA rules will you THEN be permitted to sit there. Hell with this system 3 year olds are assigned to the exit row or a mother and a car seat. So THAT sums up what a flight attendant is there for. Well that and to watch from the back galley as ya try your hardest to make the overhead bigger by pushing and pushing the bag in. :lol: I also love watching folks circle around like a dog looking for a good spot to rest. It's quite comical actually after you watch it a million times it just gets funnier. Anyway, someone PLEASE let IT know that their elaborate res system envied by all other carriers is allowing exit rows to be selected at kiosks for crying out loud. :rolleyes:

I like how people make it sound like the gate agent is the last line of defense against ineligible people sitting in the exit row. :rolleyes: How do you think Southwest handles this? Hint -- why are flight attendants on the plane when people are boarding?

Really!!!!! cause I love wasting my time reseating people during boarding because there is a family of 5 with 3 small children assigned to these seats. But I have to wait for people to show up because if I tell the family to sit in the row behind more kids show up. 20 minutes out of the 30 for boarding WASTED rearranging because the people don't speak english and no one wants to switch. I much better be at the door smiling and greeting people instead of harrassing people to move cause somehow these people received exit seats!!!

Upon web check-in, there is a pop screen that advises that customer that it's an exit seat and it visually shows the criteria. My understanding that this is only available if you are an elite traveler, under the assumption that elite travelers are aware of exit seating criteria, but it's not fool proof. This has not resulted in a massive problem, however it's been looked at from the marketing and IT side and there is a change coming, thanks to feedback from FA's on the focus group.

Upon web check-in, there is a pop screen that advises that customer that it's an exit seat and it visually shows the criteria. My understanding that this is only available if you are an elite traveler, under the assumption that elite travelers are aware of exit seating criteria, but it's not fool proof. This has not resulted in a massive problem, however it's been looked at from the marketing and IT side and there is a change coming, thanks to feedback from FA's on the focus group.
On board I have rarely found a problem w/ eligiblity? for being seated in these seats except when there is an equipment swap.

It usually seems to me to be whoever has been left out of the front or their families. The families can cause issues sometimes when they are traveling on mileage( under age etc...).

Okay, so Tempe garners tax rebates because they employ mentally challenged like you.

Blaming the customer is suicide. You are supposed to configure your interface so that the clients problems are minimized. The onus is on you. Blaming the customer is to cull your clientele to trailer park status, those that know no better.