Kiosk International Check-in

Aug 20, 2002
www.usaviation.com
Yes, we all know that the check-in kiosks are the answer most, if not all, of UAIR's problems. But there are those who question the wisdom of DIY check-in for international flights. Especially since even kiosks that do not have passport scanners will allow int'l check-in. (Just type in your passport number. Or Sam's Club number. The kiosk won't know the difference.) But don't forget, the kiosk never takes a coffee break. Or need health insurance.

But don't worry, it will be the gate agent's responsibility to make sure that the passport info is correct and matches the right passenger.

(I'd hate to be the person at HDQ who has to answer immigration violations)

FYI - Some of the kiosks do have passport scanners. Last one I used in DCA had one.

USFlyer said:
FYI - Some of the kiosks do have passport scanners. Last one I used in DCA had one.
True, some do. At least the information scanned will be accurate. Hopefully, it will for the right person. (The kiosks have been know to check-in the wrong person. So have human agents. But at least (most) human agents can use visual clues to help ensure thay have the right person) More worrysome are the kiosks with no scanners.