Kiosk Upgrades!

tadjr

Veteran
Aug 19, 2002
TPA
www.airlineforums.com
The Kiosks are going to be more user friendly. Customers no longer need a CC/Debit/AAA/FF card to access their reservation. You can now TYPE in the info. Last name/First/Flt number and it searches for the reservation. Tried it many times today and it works. :up:
Non revs can now use the kiosk WITHOUT having to have a travel card. As long as the listing is done correctly (via the nonrev list line or at the airport) and it contains the employee info required, you can TYPE in your name, etc and it will work. We played with this tonight and it also worked for a furloughed nonrev. Listings MUST be in Y though for it to work. Also companions traveling will be able to use the kiosk. There were a bunch of restrictions for them, but cant remember them all. It also said it would print the companion ticket upon checkin if it hadnt already been done.
Also, customers with a paper ticket may check in at the kiosk to get a boarding pass and check bags as long as there is a ticket number in the record. (I believe this was correct, but did not have the chance to try it out tonight.)

This should make things a lot easier. I had a couple of people tonight try to use their credit cards to check in and the computer couldnt find them. Bad strip on card or the name not exactly as on the ticket were two reasons checkin failed. Each time I had them try again by typing in the info and it found them.

The kiosk still will not check in people who have had a reservation change. It still cant figure out which eticket to use. Maybe this will be the next fix. In the meantime, it will make it easier for everyone else to use (especially since thats about all there is left for people to check in without waiting in the long ticketing line).

tadjr said:
The Kiosks are going to be more user friendly. Customers no longer need a CC/Debit/AAA/FF card to access their reservation. You can now TYPE in the info.

I sure hope the contract ID/Document checkers in most cities do a better job than the ones in a certain city that I know of! Another thought, what about PNR confidentiality? It seem that anyone could start typing names into the kiosk until the come up with a "hit". I'm just gainsaying, in the true spirit of this board!

Dont call me Shirley said:
I sure hope the contract ID/Document checkers in most cities do a better job than the ones in a certain city that I know of! Another thought, what about PNR confidentiality? It seem that anyone could start typing names into the kiosk until the come up with a "hit". I'm just gainsaying, in the true spirit of this board!
[post="171043"][/post]​

Even if they were able to type in names until they hit a match, they would need corresponding ID to get through security.

US1YFARE said:
Even if they were able to type in names until they hit a match, they would need corresponding ID to get through security.
[post="171044"][/post]​

Err...That's what I am saying. Without a check-in agent verifying and matching the ID,it's up to the "document checker" just before the TSA checkpoint to check the ID. They don't always do a very good job.

tadjr said:
The Kiosks are going to be more user friendly. Customers no longer need a CC/Debit/AAA/FF card to access their reservation. You can now TYPE in the info. Last name/First/Flt number and it searches for the reservation. Tried it many times today and it works. :up:

[post="171039"][/post]​

Hallelujah! The kiosks have never been able to check me in because my credit card lists my middle initial and the reservation is first and last name only.

One small step for man....

AtlanticBeach said:
Hallelujah! The kiosks have never been able to check me in because my credit card lists my middle initial and the reservation is first and last name only.

One small step for man....
[post="171066"][/post]​

The kiosk software was changed some time ago so that the abscence/presence of an MI should not keep you from checking in. Have you tried using your DM card?

There were still a lot of people not being able to check in because of something wrong on their card. Either bad magnetic strip, security code in the strip that the kiosk couldnt read or other. Many of the Bank Of America credit cards never worked. I reported the problem a long time ago, but never heard back as to the exact problem. Every time I saw someone trying to use one, I just got ready to check them in myself. Now this wont be a problem.

USA320Pilot said:
Another TP improvement.

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot
[post="171068"][/post]​

Boarding pass-readers at the gates, kiosks that can check everyone in. Most likely Res. moving to MOB, AL. WOW times are changing. How much will the company save. Will the company give the CWA credit for it's losses. Do they still need a 30% wage reduction for the few remaining. Looks like our staff will soon consist of CSS's, SAR's and Sky Caps!

gso-crew said:
Boarding pass-readers at the gates, kiosks that can check everyone in. Most likely Res. moving to MOB, AL. WOW times are changing. How much will the company save. Will the company give the CWA credit for it's losses. Do they still need a 30% wage reduction for the few remaining. Looks like our staff will soon consist of CSS's, SAR's and Sky Caps!
[post="171113"][/post]​

Would it be possible to operate the airline with no Reservation Agents?

Dont call me Shirley said:
The kiosk software was changed some time ago so that the abscence/presence of an MI should not keep you from checking in. Have you tried using your DM card?
[post="171087"][/post]​

Yes, I have. Nothing ever seemed to work at the kiosks in BOS. Fortunately, all the agents at Logan are great at their jobs. This years' DM card card may have "Don't give this guy a seat" encoded on the magnetic strip. ;) I have not had any success with it in about 10 attempts.

On-line check-in has definitely been the way to go, whenever possible.

ALCARLOS said:
Would it be possible to operate the airline with no Reservation Agents?
[post="171114"][/post]​

No. You have some people in this world who still dont have computers so you need another way to get them. You also have various other situations that require a human to assist in some manner. I have people come to the airport all the time who already know what flight they want from looking it up online, but they dont want to book it or cant (cash/vouchers). I'm sure there are also lots of people who look flights up online and then call rez.

I'm still fond of the idea, from a customer perspective, of not negotiating with CWA for pay reductions... .. just simplify fares, automate and relocate. So that when I actually NEED a human (rarely) I get a very experienced, relatively well-paid person. Sorry about the obvious consequences, but that's why I think U puts out rediculous offers to CWA, anything less isn't more appealing to management than the alternative of simplify, automate and relocate, with maybe a minor early out enhancement.

This is already in the contract in many instances and they have used some of it, but not all. This is another reason people are so upset. Use the givebacks already given to see the bottom line enhance BEFORE coming back for more.
In the past year we have lost at least 10-12 agents with no major change in flight schedule and there have been no replacements allowed. This is about a 12-15% reduction in head count in one station alone.

tadjr said:
This is another reason people are so upset. Use the givebacks already given to see the bottom line enhance BEFORE coming back for more.
In the past year we have lost at least 10-12 agents with no major change in flight
[post="171228"][/post]​

Another example is cross utilizing inside and outside agents in smaller stations.
Already in both the IAM and CWA contracts. Not used by the company anywhere, AFAIK.