Kudos To Pit Gate Agents

I just would like to commend the agents working US 872 PIT-PHL today at Gate B32. The flight was checked in full, but there were several people on standby. I was one of them. The agents noticed that there were several pax connecting to BOS in PHL. They found that there were seats available on a PIT-BOS nonstop. They asked those pax if they'd like the nonstop instead. Not surprisingly, they said yes. Those pax were happy because they got a nonstop, and the standby pax were happy because they got on the flight. A nice innovative solution that they sure didn't have to do.

Just one question. I never remember how the standby list is cleared. Time of check in? Fare basis? Preferred status?

Just one question. I never remember how the standby list is cleared. Time of check in? Fare basis? Preferred status?

It goes by time of checkin within the Preferred status. A US1 (CHPR) checking in at 10am will go ahead of a US2 Gold, who might have checked in at 930 for example. In the individual categories though, it should go strictly by check in time, unless something has changed that I'm unaware of.

Web check in starts the clock. If I have not cleared the que, I check in at the 24 hour mark when I can. I have jumped over as many as 8 CP's to the top of the list because of it. Doesn't matter at that point when I check in at the airport.

longing4piedmont said:
Web check in starts the clock. .... Doesn't matter at that point when I check in at the airport.
I noticed that the other day when I was putting a volunteer on the list. We had someone on the list already and this person went on the list ahead of them. Couldnt figure out why until we looked at the history and saw that the second person to get put "on the list" actually had checked in for the flight earlier than the first person who was put on the list. I guess that would be another good incentive for early check ins. If you want to volunteer/upgrade use the web check in and then check in at the airport as usual.

:D I also would like to thank the gate agents in PHL. While traveling to my son's wedding in TPA I had to switch from HP to US. Got there really early in the am since I took an overnight flt from PHX. Sat drinking coffee till I saw someone at the gates--now let me tell you I was wheelchair bound, had my small dog with me and wasn't feeling good from the overnight. Ran into someone that used to be in RNO and had a very nice reunion. Got to the gate, checked in, got my seat assignment and flt took off on time. FA's on the flight were wonderful and I actually tried the meal offered for $7.00. Was pleased and had a wonderful flight. Thanks PHL for even getting my bags there. FA's were wonderful, smooth flight from the captain, and kind friendly but professional personal on all levels. Proud to be retired from US.

Indeed, position on waitlists (within preferred status level, of course) is decided by the time of check-in, not when you are put on the list.

Back when I used to have to fly Friday evenings to the West Coast from PIT and back on Sunday, I'd often check-in 24 hours prior online. That way, I was basically assured of being 1st on the waitlist (as a CP). The only way to get beat out doing this is by somebody who checks in online 24 hours prior with a connecting flight into one of the hubs.