Kudos to the Pilots on PHL-MAD

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerseyfinn

Senior
Mar 19, 2006
NJ USA
Visit site
We were on US 740 PHL-MAD, departing 3 July, arriving MAD 4 July. It's a smooth flight and we're on approach for an on-time landing when our pilots tell us that the wing flaps won't extend properly so we're going to land with more speed and a higher angle of descent. Not the usual way of doing things, but that's why these guys are sitting in the cockpit.

We circle a while before coming in for a landing. Wife and I are in Envoy on the port side so we can watch the plane's shadow in the sunrise as we approach the runway at Barajas. We can detect the slightly faster descent as the ground comes up a bit faster than usual, and the whole time I'm watching that shadow get closer and closer. Touchdown is pretty soft all things considered. The nose stays up as we stick to terra firma and we lose some speed while the nose finally drops and the pilot applies the brakes.

Once again, that's what the job is all about. I'm not a pilot, but I undestand the physics of what's going on and the adjusments necessary. Our cockpit crew does an extraordinary job that morning with a really pinpoint touchdown. Hats off to you guys, whoever you were.

Barry

I've always said that I felt safe flying with US East pilots. A great group indeed.

I've always said that I felt safe flying with US East pilots. A great group indeed.

When you finally get an opportunity to fly with the West pilots, I think you will find them just as professional and enjoyable to fly with.

That has been my experience since the merger, and notwithstanding the ALPA/USAPA/AWAPPA toxicity, you will find by and large, we are all cut from the same bolt of fabric.

We will all be together as one great group at some point in the not too distant future and good things will happen.

So what are you saying here? That you've never flown with a West crew? Or that you've felt unsafe with a West crew? This East/West bigotry really needs to stop. I can certianly come up with a few East pilots that I wouldn't feel safe flying with. I could find some West ones too. But by and large any airline in the United States can be flown on and you can have the fullest faith and confidence in the flight crew, FAs included.

So what are you saying here? That you've never flown with a West crew? Or that you've felt unsafe with a West crew? This East/West bigotry really needs to stop. I can certianly come up with a few East pilots that I wouldn't feel safe flying with. I could find some West ones too. But by and large any airline in the United States can be flown on and you can have the fullest faith and confidence in the flight crew, FAs included.
What????

Another post that is unbelievable. No pilot that I know goes to work with the attitude of being a bad pilot. I feel comfortable flying with any US pilot.

great job to that crew who made a no flaps landing. What causes the flap not to extend downwards? also it dont matter what crew is what, they are all trained to take off, fly, and land safely no matter what

Once again, that's what the job is all about. I'm not a pilot, but I undestand the physics of what's going on and the adjusments necessary. Our cockpit crew does an extraordinary job that morning with a really pinpoint touchdown. Hats off to you guys, whoever you were.

Barry

Barry: Very kind of you to post that sir. :up: I'm sure that the crew involved will appreciate it when they read or hear of it. Too few get any "good job" thanks these days, and such are especially gratifying from passengers that were satisfied, rather than made distressed by the work done, during any abnormal event. The few fine things yet left in this profession are the amazing and wonderful people one gets to fly/work with, the view out the window..and the occasional knowledge that one's actually done something truly useful for other human beings. Again; I'm sure that those that crewed that flight will apprecaite your posting sir.

US1 and Piney..Thanks for your kind thoughts as well.

Dude , step back take a breath... complimenting an "east" crew on a job well done does not constitute bigotry toward a "west" crew. :shock:

Take a gander at the very complimentry words a fellow poster N924PS wrote....

. . . I'm sure that those that crewed that flight will apprecaite your posting sir.

Thanks, as that was my intention, to acknowledge a supurb job.

We're presently at our timeshare resort near Estepona Spain. A couple of other owners here are ex-Air Force fighter pilots ( actually heros as one was shot down over Nam & escapes to tell about it ). I ask one of them to explain the real cockpit situation and his eyes lit up ( I understood the physics of lift, descent angle, and speed, while he fleshed out the details of what the cockpit faces second by second ).

When the Air Force pilot describes the situation facing any pilot coming in with no or limited flaps, I knew instantly what a great job the US crew did as it was still a soft touchdown despite coming in hot & heavy. The Air Force pilot smiles & says that this is one of those times the crew had to turn off the auto pilot and fly the plane knowing that 200 plus people depend upon their skill and knowledge. . . . he also points to the professionalism and satisfaction that goes with the job. Everything the Air Force pilot describes as procedure, I could see and sense out the window, and it was done to perfection. "You had a good pilot", he tells us.

This of course is what one wants from every pilot. The paradox is that everyone starts out wet behind the ears and the thing they need most is the opportunity to fly and a stolid mentor who shares their wisdom with them in the hope that it actually sinks in.

I'm gonna hope that this ALPA acrimony slowly fades away as the job is about the cockpit and the people in the back don't often know or appreciate when you've made the right decision. It's all about being a skillful pilot ( with a little luck thrown in ). But I say this as an anesthetist who only has to take off and land with one "passenger" at a time.

Barry

Status
Not open for further replies.