Labor Relations....root cause to AA's problem!

strikeforce

Veteran
Jan 18, 2011
I can honestly say that labor relations between AA and TWU, at least on a local level, is at an all-time low, and most likely the root cause for the stall tactics by management in negotiations. It was horrible before, but it's down right pathetic. Absolutely no respect of the AMT's on the floor and management keeps pushing for a fight.

I can honestly say that labor relations between AA and TWU, at least on a local level, is at an all-time low, and most likely the root cause for the stall tactics by management in negotiations. It was horrible before, but it's down right pathetic. Absolutely no respect of the AMT's on the floor and management keeps pushing for a fight.
Well if your not happy with the twu, and nobody is willing to lead us into battle, the easiest thing to do is sign an AMP card and try to fix what is broken. The other option is stick with the twu and let them turn your career into a job, similar to the other non-skilled labor they collect dues from.

Well if your not happy with the twu, and nobody is willing to lead us into battle, the easiest thing to do is sign an AMP card and try to fix what is broken. The other option is stick with the twu and let them turn your career into a job, similar to the other non-skilled labor they collect dues from.
give us some ideas on how AMP would change labor-management issues?

I signed an AMP card, and waiting on AMP to hold an election.

I still consider my job a career because I do my job with integrity, and responsibility. Unlike others that have diminished the value of our profession, like TWU, IAM & Teamsters, and any other industrial union that preaches "one for all and all for one". You can add in there some of own mechanics that scab, and undercut our profession by working across the ramp for non-union MRO's like Flight Check.
Remember my definition of SCAB.....a person that intentionally crosses a picket line, and one that undercuts and shortchanges a profession by working for cheaper wages and no benefits.

Remember my definition of SCAB.....a person that intentionally crosses a picket line, and one that undercuts and shortchanges a profession by working for cheaper wages and no benefits.
I guess, according to your deffinition, the twu considers AA mechanics as scabs, look at the last TA, we were shortchanged and raped.

Yeah, I don't think it's right for guys to be working for those contractors who ended up taking the contracts from the airlines. It's the same thing as working overtime while you got guys getting laid off.

I guess, according to your deffinition, the twu considers AA mechanics as scabs, look at the last TA, we were shortchanged and raped.
No, I consider the negotiator the scab because he accepted AA's proposal of less wages and less benefits, and then recommended to the membership to accept this because BK would be worse. Also, throw in there a union negotiator that proposes to accept less, like our union BROTHER in Local 512 that proposed to AA that sick time be paid at 1/2 half pay. Now that's a scab!

Reactions: 2 people
I've said it before -- keep expanding "your" definition of scab and the term will be marginalized to the point it won't mean anything in a few years except to describe someone who doesn't agree with the union.

Reactions: 1 person
I've said it before -- keep expanding "your" definition of scab and the term will be marginalized to the point it won't mean anything in a few years except to describe someone who doesn't agree with the union.

Eric....Mirriam-Webster defines a scab this way...
I'm not sure "strikeforce" expanded his definition..

1scab noun \ˈskab\
Definition of SCAB
1: scabies of domestic animals
2: a crust of hardened blood and serum over a wound
3a : a contemptible person b (1) : a worker who refuses to join a labor union (2) : a union member who refuses to strike or returns to work before a strike has ended (3) : a worker who accepts employment or replaces a union worker during a strike (4) : one who works for less than union wages or on nonunion terms
4: any of various bacterial or fungus diseases of plants characterized by crustaceous spots; also : one of the spots
See scab defined for English-language learners

It's sad, but obvious that people like you hate unions, but you can't dispute the fact that unions have come to the aid of the middle class workers in this country, and provided decent wages and benefits, unlike our corrupt politicians that preach on behalf of the little guy, take his money, and then favor corporations. Are these the type of people you trust and think they're working on your behalf? Let me expand my definition of a SCAB to include ALL politicians, executives of corporations that moved their manufacturing operations overseas, and sell their products here, and any person associated with and a member of a labor organization that bashed the public employees in Wisconsin, in favor of a real turncoat Scott Walker! To me YOU are a SCAB!

Reactions: 1 person
Wiki: A strikebreaker (sometimes derogatorily called a scab) is a person who works despite an ongoing strike. Strikebreakers are usually individuals who are not employed by the company prior to the trade union dispute, but rather hired prior to or during the strike to keep production or services going. "Strikebreakers" may also refer to workers (union members or not) who cross picket lines to work.

It's sad, but obvious that people like you hate unions,

No, I don't hate unions. Just the greedy ineffective ones who don't represent the long term interests of their membership. I even carried a union card in my much younger days as a stagehand and theater electrician.

any person associated with and a member of a labor organization that bashed the public employees in Wisconsin, in favor of a real turncoat Scott Walker! To me YOU are a SCAB!

Oh, please. A turncoat would be someone who changed their views after getting into office. There was no doubt whatsoever about where Walker stood on the issue before his election...

As I said, keep over-using the term, and it will have less stigma attached to it years from now.

Reactions: 2 people
No, I don't hate unions. Just the greedy ineffective ones who don't represent the long term interests of their membership. I even carried a union card in my much younger days as a stagehand and theater electrician.

Oh, please. A turncoat would be someone who changed their views after getting into office. There was no doubt whatsoever about where Walker stood on the issue before his election...

As I said, keep over-using the term, and it will have less stigma attached to it years from now.
Really....did Walker come out and campaign that he was busting the unions? Show me!

It already has. AMFA was a referred to by many industrial unions (AFL/CIO) as a scab union. Nonsensical but the 'label' was used. Childish and stupid, but so goes the 'union thug' label used to union supporters.
Oh Well, my employees are non-union but happy...
B) xUT

Incorrect.

While Walker vigorously campaigned on a platform of budget reform, *not once* did he mention dissolving collective bargaining rights.

Incorrect.

While Walker vigorously campaigned on a platform of budget reform, *not once* did he mention dissolving collective bargaining rights.

You're right -- he didn't campaign on it, but look at who his supporters were, Kev.... Did you really expect the Koch lobby not to go after this?...

And Wisconsin was hardly the first to pull this trigger. There are 20 states who prohibit collective bargaining by state employees, and another 9 or 10 said to be considering it...