Labor, skeptics ground US'' business partner UA''s low-cost carrier

USA320Pilot

Veteran
May 18, 2003
www.usaviation.com

Labor, skeptics ground United low-cost carrier

Analyst: You've got to deal from your strength, not from your weakness. US Airways has done a better job of dealing from its strength (than United)

DENVER (Post) - In a matter of months, United Airlines has pulled the curtain over its plan to launch a low-cost carrier to compete with discounters like Southwest Airlines.
Complete Story: http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0%2C1413...82667%2C00.html

I think I see a trend developing. Trunk carriers are focusing on small cities, small airplanes and small pay checks for employees.

Usairways has shifted flights away from some routes (high volume were larger aircraft work well) where it competes directly with discounters while beefing up its regional-jet fleet to reach smaller destinations the low-cost airlines can't.

That may be where United is heading. Tilton said last week that mainline flying will continue to be transferred to the Express operation as United evaluates which routes can't be profitably flown with larger aircraft and higher-paid crews.

At the same time AirTran Airways announced Tuesday that it ordered 100 Boeing 737s and 10 Boeing 717s in a deal that could be worth $6 billion to Boeing. AirTran already uses the 717 for many of its routes and expects to double its fleet size by 2008 with this order.

It appears in the future trunks will be 75% express. Most of the larger jet flying will go to the discounters.

See....I told you it was Groundhog Day. A week later and the UAL thread gets reincarnated.

Bottom line is this: U IS DOING A BETTER JOB THAN UAL BLAH BLAH. So what! If we keep shifting our flying to RJs we are still gonna tank.
8.gif

Also, Lark is right. The article was talking about all majors- AMR, DAL, UAL... Chip, your skewing is becoming pretty obvious.

Ummm.....Lark''s post seems to have vanished. I don''t believe there was anything offensive in it. Man, this board is turning into some kind of police state.

Because Chip can't stop the cut and paste project (which IS his entire existence) I think we, as a group, need to find him something more to do with his time off. His wife and kids can't pry him away from the keyboard (note the time of his last UAL slam), so we need to pull together and find this man a hobby.

Here are my suggestions, feel free to add to my list. It is our obligation to help our fellow airline employee:

He could get a book: How about......."Smart Choices: A Practical Guide to Making Better Life Decisions"? Imagine all this could have done for him if he had read it earlier in his career.

or a hobby: How about........Model Airplanes? He could build an airline empire with him as the model CEO.....he knows everything about running an airline anyway (he could even make the Evil Empire Model Airline (aka-United) and sell all their profitable routes and really BIG airplanes to his.

DELETED

Well, those are just a few of my ideas......feel free to add to the list. We need to rebuild the complete human and get him outside again.

Best Regards,

Me
3.gif

----------------
On 7/2/2003 7:52:47 AM 737nCH11 wrote:

Also, Lark is right. The article was talking about all majors- AMR, DAL, UAL... Chip, your skewing is becoming pretty obvious.
---------

The article mentions United 17 times in this story. I don't call that skewing the facts. The analyst comments are very interesting in this article.

----------------
On 7/2/2003 7:52:47 AM 737nCH11 wrote:

----------------​

Uhm.... only the last 4 or 5 paragraphs present information on other carriers'' experiences (or lack of) with LCC''s as background to the STORY about UNITED in the DENVER POST. The TOPIC of the article is about United''s changing strategy, in my firm opinion, based on my understanding of composition.

Yes we can debate whether US Airways is doing a better job of managing it''s flying, but this is largely an employee website, and the bottom line for employees is at the end of the day UAL will have laid-off a much smaller percentage of it''s employees than US Airways, will have a far larger and more succesful mainline operation than US Airways, and will in all probability survive long after US Airways is parted out or liquidated.

Pacemaker & 737nCh11:

Pace, there is strong reason to believe your comments are inaccurate. 737, in regard to skewing, I did not post any personnal comment(s) and I simply reported what was in the article, which I believe would be of interest to US employees.

Best regards,

Chip