Labor unions saved Ford in our 'darkest' hour: Bill Ford

700UW

Corn Field
Nov 11, 2003
NC
Though they are sometimes blamed for the financial woes at other car companies, labor unions actually helped "save" Ford Motor as competitors such as General Motors went bankrupt, Bill Ford told CNBC on Thursday.

Ford, the executive chairman of the Detroit automaker, said in an interview on CNBC's "Squawk Box" that former UAW President Ron Gettelfinger doesn't get enough credit for helping to shore up the books during Ford's "darkest hour."

http://www.cnbc.com/id/101529786

So...what I take from above is the union stepped up at Ford and saved the day, while the union at GM , said "pound sand, we'll take the government bailout!"

Reactions: 1 person
southwind said:
So...what I take from above is the union stepped up at Ford and saved the day, while the union at GM , said "pound sand, we'll take the government bailout!"

At the end of the day you can thank the people who ran GM for the mess they found themselves in.

777 fixer said:

At the end of the day you can thank the people who ran GM for the mess they found themselves in.
Not saying your wrong on this one but, if Union peeps want credit when a company is successful, why don't they take credit when said company fails?

delldude said:

I'm sure they are totally guilty of all charges.

Wonder why Mercedes Benz hasn't had the trouble GM has had?  The unions there have benefits and power those in the UAW can only dream of.  Probably has to do with be more well run and having a product people want.

777 fixer said:

Wonder why Mercedes Benz hasn't had the trouble GM has had?  The unions there have benefits and power those in the UAW can only dream of.  Probably has to do with be more well run and having a product people want.

That's because the members get off their assses and fight for their rights.

Reactions: 2 people
delldude said:

That's because the members get off their assses and fight for their rights.

I'll agree with that statement.  And having more labor friendly laws helps too.