Lakefield Urges Employees To Look Forward,

USA320Pilot

Veteran
May 18, 2003
www.usaviation.com
Lakefield urges employees to look forward, not back

ARLINGTON (US Airways Update) – New president and chief executive officer Bruce Lakefield has called on employees to “put the past behind and look ahead as we continue to build a new US Airways.â€

In a letter and telephone hotline message, his first communications to the employee group since he was named president of CEO on April 19, Lakefield said US Airways must continue efforts to reduce costs to competitive levels to meet the threat posed by low-cost airlines. “in your hear of hearts, we believe that most of you know this,†he wrote.

Lakefield said he recognized that the task ahead will be difficult. “Fundamental changes in the way we do business are necessary and, yes, participation again by our employees must be part of the answer. But you have my pledge that I am committed to finding the solutions, to working collegially with our labor leadership in tha search and to continuing to communicate with you,†he said.

In his phone message, Lakefield said he has strong first impressions about US Airways. “I am impressed by the passion that those of you whom I have met have about the company and your work. This is a dedicated, professional group, and earning your respect and trust is at the top of my list of priorities. You deserve no less,†he said. He added that US Airways has a “terrific East Coast franchise. That’s where the people and the money are, and we’re going to take more advantage of our positions.â€

The board, with the support of its labor representatives, endorsed a new business plan at its April meeting. Lakefield said the plan addresses US Airways’ need to reach competitive costs and also incorporates a platform for growth. However, before details can be shared, he said he will continue to work with the union representatives on the board to prepare for discussions with their labor groups as quickly as possible.

Chairman David Bronner called Lakefield an experienced and seasoned executive “who will work tirelessly for the airline and its customers, business partners and financial backers, employees and shareholders.â€

The Board of Directors named Lakefield to the president and CEO post following Dave Siegel’s resignation. Siegel said his decision to exercise his contractual rights to resign reflects a “belief that my leaving is in the best interests of the company.†He said he hoped his announcement is “the first step in a healing process that will enable the company to complete its restructuring.â€

Bronner said the board accepted Siegel’s resignation with regret, but that it shared his view that “this should be the start of healing process for labor and management.â€

Lakefield, 60, was appointed to the US Airways Board of Directors when it emerged from Chapter 11 in 2003, and he chaired its Strategy and Finance and Human Resources committees. Previously he was chairman and CEO of Lehman Brothers International from 1995 to 1999, when he retired. He has served as a senior advisor to the Investment Policy Committee of HGK Asset Management since 2000, and also serves as a non-executive director of Constellation Corp., PLC.

A native of New Jersey, Lakefield graduated from the U.S. Naval Academy in Annapolis in 1967, and spent four years in the Navy, serving as a kieutenant aboard the nuclear submarine USS Patrick Henry.

when he said labor, i hope he doesnt mean those who are still left at the disgusting mainline express because we're the ones that have been hit pretty hard and sen tdown the river without the life preservers. anymore paycuts from those of us in the expressed mainline citys and we'll have to get a full time job at a walmart or something

Am I to forget what all has happened here? Yeah right. I don't think so. You can give USA320Pilot if you want to. No way am I dealing with these thieves that we are still in Airbus outsourcing arbitration with. If they wanted the Mechanics to support their plan they should have not forced the arbitration issue. You can end it all before the Mechanics give a dime.

If the IAM blows the arbitration look for a class action lawsuit against them.

Bob, well said. It seems the posters here on several of the threads are preparing themselves for their own destiny. I don't know if they step back and look at what they are saying but it seems that way to me. All the threads go back to the same old points and no sense of light in the tunnel. Your analogy about Jesus is absolutely correct.

Funny thing is, we heard for us to forget the past from Siegel in March of 2002, when he first came on board. Funny thing again, Siegel said for us to forget the past in November of 2002 for the winter concessions, and that is was important for us to move forward.

Now its become hestarically rediculous "line", that Lakefield would say, "forget the past". Having amnesia is always good for employees, when Corporate Execs don't want to talk about "screw ups". Somehow, management was able to fulfil contracts for two execs to the tune of over $7 million, and these two Execs get to keep their stock that will be worth more millions if labor concedes again. We open our contracts in order to fulfill these Corporate execs contracts.

IMO, the past IS important to remember so that "history doesn't repeat itself".

Funny thing again, we have NEW POSTERS, but we know they are the same old posters with new names, for the new concession.

There is nothing anybody can do about the past and the past does not equal the future.

It's all about the questions a person asks them self.

Is the glass half full or half empty?

Most of the activity on this board is the silent majority, whereas the minority are the vocal posters.

Day in and day out I see US Airways workers, in all work groups, working hard providing outstanding results. These dedicated professionals understand the economic realities of the marketplace, both the secular and cyclical fundamental changes, which are dramatically shaping our careers.

Cyclical changes include September 11, rising oil prices, SARS, and Iraqi War, which all effected profitability.

However, the problem is the permanent reduction in yield associated with internet booking and relentless LCC expansion.

There is no escaping the facts above and it seems that it is effecting the ATSB. Just look at Monday's USA Today article (click here for the story) where there are hints United Airlines may not receive its loan guarantee. Do you think the ATSB understands the reality of the marketplace?

Network airlines must dramatically lower unit costs, across-the-board, to survive and I believe, as does chief executive officer Bruce Lakefield, when he said, "in your hear of hearts, we believe that most of you know this.â€￾

Today management will provide the Labor Advisory Council with details of the new business plan and labors expected participation, which is an opportunity for the majority of the employees to look forward. Why? Because as chairman David Bronner said the restructuring will go ahead "with or without employees."

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot

PITBull:

My glass is never half-empty and it's all about attitude. You, every other employee, and I are the only people who is in charge of how we feel. You and nobody else determine how you feel and how you look at life.

I have traveled throughout the world conducting military operations where I have seen people in miserable conditions that have better attitudes than some of the people on this board.

MedEvac operations out of Sarajevo, the war in Haiti, people in South America living in despicable conditions, and ya know what, they all had good attitudes.

Thus, for those who believe the glass is half-empty, than why stay at the company? Why keep yourself in a miserable situation and why not seek other employment?

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot

Forget the Past? We have been like kicked dogs since Colodny, there is too much past to forget, and zero reason why any of us should.

Mr. Lakefield,
You have acquired a company full of abused dogs and it is going to take a lot of persistence on your part to get past our past of abuse. Try soft words and gentle strokes, you might get nipped at first but keep stroking. You will have a better chance of being trusted if you don't display any of the prior owners behavior. By all means don't pull the bed out from under your newly acquired abused dogs and kick them after promising them a great big bowl of dog food...that was just done in TPA.

LOA 91 will pass by a fairly wide margin. The voting closes at 10:00 a.m., Monday, May 10, with the results announced shortly thereafter.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

I AM LOOKING FOWARD!!!

I'm looking forward to working for a company that is more interested in selling at a profit, than selling at a loss.

I'm looking forward to working for a company that when I meet someone new, and they ask me where I work, and I tell them, that I'm not ashamed and have to make apologies for past injuries.

I'm looking forward to working for a company that looks for honest honorable ways to make money, instead of seeking to take it from their employees.

I'm looking forward to working for a company who understands that they are administrating a well oiled machine of dedicated professionals, instead of the administration being a gang of spoiled rich kids strutting about with hammers and an attitude.

Whether or not that company is US Airways, or my next employer, is up to Mr. Lakefield.

Is he capable of the task?

Does he even have the same goals as I do?

We shall see, won't we?

P.S.
greasemonkey-seeking-nirvana's analogy is dead on.

I just have to wonder why management is so reluctant to negotiate any sort of profit sharing with the labor groups in order to balance concessions? If their true goal is to fix this company and not just rape the employees this should be something the company is more than willing to look at. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be the case. Also, as far as the outsourcing issue is concerned, I saw that AMR (in a statement made by their CEO) is actually looking at hiring more cleaners and utility folks, as he says it's cheaper than contracting out. Is UAIR a day late again?

oldiebutgoody said:
I just have to wonder why management is so reluctant to negotiate any sort of profit sharing with the labor groups in order to balance concessions? If their true goal is to fix this company and not just rape the employees this should be something the company is more than willing to look at. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be the case. Also, as far as the outsourcing issue is concerned, I saw that AMR (in a statement made by their CEO) is actually looking at hiring more cleaners and utility folks, as he says it's cheaper than contracting out. Is UAIR a day late again?
How do you know they are reluctant to negotiate profit sharing if the negotiations haven't even begun yet?