Last for Takeoff: Philadelphia

Improvements on their way for PHL too.

Improving environment for passengers and employees

By Tom Belden
Inquirer Staff Writer

Those who are running the new, merged US Airways - largely the management of the former America West Airlines - have tallied what is needed to improve service at Philadelphia International Airport:

About $20 million.

The airline needed 400 more customer-service and baggage handlers, for a total of almost 2,000. It had to upgrade the dilapidated facilities it had inherited, from gate areas with holes in walls to vast spaces that passengers never see.

At Philadelphia International, each airline is responsible for the upkeep of its departure lounges and employee break rooms. The city-owned airport maintains common areas such as corridors and restrooms.

The employee lounges, or break rooms, used by US Airways' workers "are in terrible shape, and that shows no respect for employees," said Anthony V. Mulé, US Airways' senior vice president of customer service. "And the departure lounges have been as neglected as the break rooms."

Besides the new hires, the company bought dozens of new vehicles that move bag carts and push back planes, and added baggage-sorting equipment, belt loaders and catering trucks.

During a recent tour of US Airways' Terminals B and C gates, Mulé could only shake his head and grimace as he noted dirty and torn carpeting, holes gouged in walls, and seats with little or no padding and cracked vinyl. All of that is scheduled to be refurbished by the end of the year, he said.

"We'll have 20 percent more seats in each gate area," Mulé said. Pointing into a nearly empty corner of one gate area, he added: "We're pulling out all those pay phones. No one uses them anymore."

The 22 break rooms, where 2,000 baggage handlers and customer-service agents rest and eat meals, need even more attention than the passenger lounges. There, battered, decades-old metal lockers and tables are placed atop filthy floor tiles. Water leaking through ceiling tiles has left them spotted and dirty, while faucets in some sinks do not work.

All the break rooms will get a complete overhaul, with new refrigerators, microwaves and toaster ovens, Mulé said. Today, "the rooms are functional, but it's not right," he said.

Mulé defended the quality of US Airways' 5,000 Philadelphia employees (including pilots and flight attendants based here), saying that many service complaints here can be traced to poor management and a lack of good equipment.

"I don't think we've done a really good job of training our people," he said. "There is nothing at all where some good leadership and some encouragement won't make a big difference."

You don't suppose this has anything to do with the fact that US Airways continues to insist on funneling every single passenger from the northeast bound for Florida and the Carribean through PHL, do you?

Example: US ran a daily flight from BOS to SJU. It was full almost every day, especially in coach. The flight was discontinued on weekdays last week.

Customers now have a choice of riding an oversold US narrow-body from BOS to PHL, then trekking all the way to Terminal A West to board an equally full flight to SJU; or, flying non-stop from BOS to SJU on one of American's four daily 757's.

In terms of cost of fuel burned, aircraft cycles, employee time, and number of employees required to handle one passenger flying between BOS and SJU, which airline probably had the lower CSM getting that customer from BOS to SJU?

The previous managements simply did not get it. One holds out hope that the new management, eventually, will.

PA18 -

It is all a part of the normal transition of airplanes for North-South flying to East-West. Without reduction in flying such as BOS-SJU we would not be able to increase service to SAN, SFO, LAX and SEA. Obviously our market research says that we earn more flying East-West this time of year then we would flying BOS-SJU.

You don't suppose this has anything to do with the fact that US Airways continues to insist on funneling every single passenger from the northeast bound for Florida and the Carribean through PHL, do you?

Example: US ran a daily flight from BOS to SJU. It was full almost every day, especially in coach. The flight was discontinued on weekdays last week.

Customers now have a choice of riding an oversold US narrow-body from BOS to PHL, then trekking all the way to Terminal A West to board an equally full flight to SJU; or, flying non-stop from BOS to SJU on one of American's four daily 757's.

In terms of cost of fuel burned, aircraft cycles, employee time, and number of employees required to handle one passenger flying between BOS and SJU, which airline probably had the lower CSM getting that customer from BOS to SJU?

The previous managements simply did not get it. One holds out hope that the new management, eventually, will.

Just ask all of the people including our new management, and they all think PHL is the greatest thing in the world.

They put out all of this crap about how much it's improving and this and that, what a joke.

Many of us, includind our EX-CUSTOMERS know the truth and who are they trying to kid anyway.

Once again Jimmy.....I am still waiting for you to provide examples of how things are WORSE in PHL then they were before. So far you haven't given us one fact to support your conclusion.

We have been #1 in on time performance (among our peer group) for the last 6 months.

Baggage PAWOB's have been reduced by nearly 40%.

If PHL were getting worse, then the changes in these numbers would not be possible. PHL is what it is and steps are being made to fix what can be fixed. Years of neglect by previous Executives is slowly being addressed to the tune of a 20 million dollar investment in PHL.

So.....please tell me where it is getting worse....

Just ask all of the people including our new management, and they all think PHL is the greatest thing in the world.

They put out all of this crap about how much it's improving and this and that, what a joke.

Many of us, includind our EX-CUSTOMERS know the truth and who are they trying to kid anyway.
Now Jimmy, like the article says, it's going to improve.....IN 10 YEARS (2 years for the study alone). That would assume anyone is going to wait that long....I doubt that will happen.

PA18 -

It is all a part of the normal transition of airplanes for North-South flying to East-West. Without reduction in flying such as BOS-SJU we would not be able to increase service to SAN, SFO, LAX and SEA. Obviously our market research says that we earn more flying East-West this time of year then we would flying BOS-SJU.

MMY,

Thank you, as always, for the reasoned response.

I'm pleased to see that some thought is being given to the use of assets. That's not something the previous regimes were very good at.

Mind you, I would be pleased to see more non-stop flying between the northeast and SAN, SFO, LAX, and SEA. Because those passengers still have to connect in PHL, which contributes to the problem.

I'll give you a mulligan on the seasonal factor (although there are certain warm weather destinations whose flights are full every day, all year -- like MCO, and SJU). I realize that when the new management took over in September, the winter schedule had pretty much already been cast in stone.

My hope is that we'll see more non-stop flights from the northeast to the south and to the west by next winter, instead of chasing all that business away to American, Southwest, and jetBlue.

Wow...US employees need to start to understand exactly how much revenue PHL generates for this company... I am of the belief that we should be positively promoting this place, not trashing it constantly in a public forum.... Even though I did not choose to end up in PHL, it happened.... Now let's stop all the blah blah blah about all the negatives, and make it work!! :eek:

First, in February 2005, US Airways tried to create a "rolling hub," spacing flights more evenly throughout the day rather than in six or seven clusters around peak travel times, as most airlines do at their hubs. In the fall, the new managers switched dozens of flights a day from larger jets to smaller US Airways Express airplanes and cut back on flights.

In December, Philadelphia finished in 16th place for departures and 11th place for arrivals among the big airports.

But the improved performance came at a price: a decline in revenue for US Airways in Philadelphia. Over the winter, the airline moved its schedule back to the standard way hubs work.

I was actually surprised by this. Going back to what Bob said, if our focus is supposed to be on O & D traffic, then the rolling hub had the right effect. Supporting local traffic with some connecting opportunities and pushing the connects thru hubs like CLT with less O & D. I know operationally, when a flight did run late, we didn't misconnect the entire flight by missing the bank.

Obviously there has to be some merit to what they say. At least they tried it.

PA18 -

You never know what the next winter schedule will be. With the addition of the E190, you may see some additional Airbus or Boeing jets free'd up for new missions. I believe the E190/170 are the perfect airplanes for off peak shuttle flying. This would free up several airplanes to fly other missions. Who know what you could see by next winter. Hopefully we will restore some of the flights we used to have in BOS. It is ashame to see someone like B6 being able to waltz in and pull market share is such an important airport.

ok since were on topic, cledcacle disc dec 05..good loads/in out,,full full full..
B737/Airbus CleClt DOwnsized TO an RJ!
Gotta Love it!

Effective 5/7..today..full,,and this is just the start
of the summer travel.
Take the jet and reposition it elsewhere..

We shall see how many oversales we take!

a collegue of mine talked how we will voice this ridiclous
move to Doug Parker-not sure it will improve things-
as a sugestion, keep the mainline in the morning.

A few things here... If the company claims that the transcon flights are money losers why pull them off the claimed money making carribean flights do to transcon? THAT makes no sense. 2. If Philly O&D numbers are so high then why oh why do we need to subject other passengers to that nightmare of an airport? Some of the bigger cities could have their own n/s flights instead. As for the 20million dollars that US is gonna put into the airport. Does anyone honestly think its gonna help when the a/c can't back out due to alley crowding or can't get into the gate either? How about taking off on time. Hardly gonna happen. You could redo the crew rooms and gate area and add a starbucks every other gate. Does not fix the airport in any way. If we had 3000 baggage handlers in PHL that would be great. Then the plane could be boarded up and sit on the tarmac longer waiting for that takeoff clearance when there is 1 drop of rain in a 30 mile radius. The airport would work better if there was not so much traffic being FORCED through it UNNECESSARILY! That is not rocket science. Connecting flights through there a few hours before all of the international departures is clearly justified. None of the other connections going on there are needed. The airport CAN'T HANDLE IT. Break it down with number the best anyone can...still doesn't make a pleasant experience for passengers and leaves a bad taste in many a mouth after their travels.

Hey,

I'm a writer from Philadelphia Magazine. I can post a story I did when Southwest first came to Philly. I'm doing a new package on what's wrong with the airport and I need your help.

Travelpro hones in on the big mystery of PHL in my view. I can't tell you how many times, back when Orbitz had a 100 mile radius for some flights, I would try to see where my best deal was and find, say, an LAX-DCA flight with a CONNECTION in PHL would be, say, $1200 cheaper than the same LAX-PHL nonstop without the DCA leg. This crap still happens with EWR and LGA flights, and it makes no sense. Why do so many flights connect through Philly? It is so frustrating that the travel time is about two hours less on average if I, a Philly resident, fly through BWI, FORGETTING the hundreds of saved dollars, because so much tarmac/delay time is built into Philadelphia. Obviously the runways need to be reconfigured. Obviously a massive overhaul of the airfield is in order. But in the meantime, how does it make economic sense for the city of philadelphia to allow our airport to continue to operate as a hub to SUCH a detriment to the O&D traffic that is the lifeblood of our business community? PLEASE, if you can, illuminate.

Rant aside, I'm looking for anyone's stories, gripes, and favorite things about the PHL airport.

Personally, I love the airport rail.

I hate the concessions mostly, except those in the international terminal. The burger kings with the Studio 54 lines are my favorite.

Everyone seems to loathe the parking situation, the baggage situation, the taxi queues.

Anyone have anything else they like or hate?

post here or email me at [email protected]

And I'm going to be talking to Charlie Isdell on Friday. If anyone has any ideas for questions I ought to ask, email me or post here.

Thanks!

hmmmmm..... interesting screename for an objective reporter.

good grief. Why would you think that an airport owner could prevent its facilities from being used by an airline in a hub operation? I'd say that the city of Philly has done about as much as possible to discourage it, legally, that is.

Local governments, with few exceptions, cannot tell air carriers when and to where to fly.