Latest Alpa News

USA320Pilot

Veteran
May 18, 2003
www.usaviation.com
The MEC has just called a 3-day Special MEC Meeting in Washington on Wednesday, August 25, 2004 at 2:30 p.m., Eastern. The meeting shall adjourn on Friday, August 27, 2004 at 5:00 p.m., or at the completion of business.

The agenda is to discuss negotiating strategy and to decide what to do with the company’s so called “last, bestâ€￾ offer. Management asked the NC to present the company’s latest proposal directly to the MEC for a vote, to decide whether or not the proposal will be sent to the membership to accept the proposal.

US Airways Talks With Pilots Union Break Down - Concessions Sought To Avert Bankruptcy

"Carrier's executives ask that their latest proposal be taken directly to the union's leadership for a vote."

Complete Story

US Airways rejects pilots proposal, Company, union still far apart on how to cut costs

"The pilots union, which has signaled it wants to make a deal, said it would meet Wednesday to review the company's latest offer."

Complete Story

US Airways in precarious spot after talks with pilots break off

Local airline analyst and investor Bill Lauer said he expects union leaders to send the offer out for a vote without endorsing it, asking 3,000 pilots to make the fateful decision. "If they conclude their jobs are really at stake, union politics be damned, they will probably ratify this thing," he said.

To some, the two events (FLL expansion & ALPA talks) looked like the last gasp of an airline that appears headed for a second trip through bankruptcy court and possible liquidation. "There is no plan," said Allegheny County Airport Authority Director Kent George. "There is no real direction."

Complete Story

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot

DellDude:

You're probably right, which means the company will simply go out of business.

Tic...Toc...Tic...Toc...

Best regards and good luck with your future.

Respectfully,

USA320pilot

This is ridiculous. Sometimes I wish I could attend the negotiating sessions and see what B.S. really is thrown across the table, from both sides.

Some posters on this board such as Mwereplanes and Walmartgreeter have disputed my comments. Specifically, ALPA financial advisors told the MEC and NC that they believed ALPA's proposal fell $80 to $100 million short of the company's pilot cost cut target of $295 million.

The biggest issue was undoubtedly the DC pension plan.

According to the New York Times, a respected newspaper, "People who have been briefed on each side's proposals said yesterday that the airline was refusing to budge from its $295 million target for cuts in pilots' pay and benefits, while the union had expressed willingness to accept cuts only in the range of $175 million to $180 million, along with some work-rule changes," the newspaer noted.

The Times also noted there are several options available to the union's master executive council, officials said. The council could endorse the airline's proposal and schedule a ratification vote by pilots; it could put the proposal before its members for a vote without making an endorsement; it could reject the proposal; or it could ask its bargainers to reopen talks and continue working.

See Story

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot

USA320Pilot said:
.... the airline was refusing to budge ....

[post="172272"][/post]​

A teenage daughter is smart enough not to budge when she finds out she can just whine to daddy and he will open his wallet. Mgt might have no clue on how to grow an airline, but if they have learned one thing...

the boogieman approach is always good for a little milage.

USA320Pilot said:
Some posters on this board such as Mwereplanes and Walmartgreeter have disputed my comments. ........USA320Pilot,I think there are a lot more people that dispute your comments.You just don't read all the posts .......I for one dispute a lot of your posts! Disrespectfully Yours, Jetlaagd

Speculation has it that Management's proposal will go out to the pilots without an endorsement so that they themselves can make the final decision. Anyone care to guess if this will result in a no or a yes?

networking said:
Speculation has it that Management's proposal will go out to the pilots without an endorsement so that they themselves can make the final decision. Anyone care to guess if this will result in a no or a yes?
[post="172701"][/post]​

I speculate that the management cram down will NOT go out for a vote. The policy is to allow a membership vote for any Tentative AGREEMENT. The operative word being AGREEMENT.

Since there is no AGREEMENT on the table, I suspect the company's cram down will never get voted on.