Latest Mec Chairman's Message

us10

Advanced
Sep 11, 2002
MEC Chairman web cast script

September 8, 2004

I’m Bill Pollock, your MEC chairman, with a web cast update for Wednesday, September 8th. In this web cast, I want to talk about the discussions and actions that were taken earlier this week when the MEC met in Arlington, Virginia, and what happens next with the US Airways pilot group.

Following three months of negotiations between ALPA and management on the Transformation Plan, and after a 12-day period of on-and-off MEC meetings and many negotiating sessions, on the evening of Monday, September 6th, a motion was proffered to send the latest Company proposal out to the membership for ratification. This motion was defeated on a roll call vote by three members of the MEC, with one of those three members holding the proxy for another MEC member. These three MEC members voted against letting the membership determine if the proposal was acceptable. While the roll call vote is authorized under our Constitution and By-Laws, I am growing weary of its incessant use. The bottom line is that three members, elected by less than 10% of our pilots, were able to keep you from making your own decision on your future. And you should know, at this time, negotiations between ALPA and management are in recess, and we do not know whether or when talks will resume.

I believe that this final Company proposal, as objectionable as it was, should have been sent to the membership for a vote this past Monday. There were several good reasons to do this.

First, our own Negotiating Committee and advisors told us that only minor changes in this latest proposal could have been exchanged between different components, and that those changes wouldn’t have altered the economics of the proposal that was before the MEC. And, with the Company stating that they may have to consider bankruptcy if agreements with labor groups are not reached, I believe that the proposal contained protections that may not be available should a bankruptcy filing take place without an agreement. For the Company, the deal would help provide the momentum that it would need to reach agreements with other labor groups.

I want to make clear that even if we would have ratified an agreement with the Company, it would have not been any guarantee that we would have avoided a Chapter 11 bankruptcy filing. However, if the Company chooses to restructure through bankruptcy court, a deal with their most powerful union would have provided an important stabilizing effect during court proceedings and would have shown the financial community and the government that they had a plan that could succeed. Without an agreement, we may be at the mercy of the court and third parties who may take a dim view of our inability to close a cost savings agreement with management when we had the chance.

I’ve been telling you for months that I would do everything that I could to ensure that you would have a vote on this so that you, the pilot group, could cast a ballot and determine your future. Your sacrifices in previous restructuring efforts have more than earned you the ability to determine your own fate and that of your airline. I find it unacceptable that a few individuals believe they know what’s best for you, completely disregarding the counsel of our advisors. You have resoundingly told us that you want to vote on issues affecting your pay and working conditions. And after providing you with an unprecedented amount of information on these negotiations, in my view, it is simply wrong for MEC members to keep you out of this process at this stage of the game.

Now, I’d like to address a few questions about the proposals that pilots have had been asking me.

Some pilots have been hearing a lot about management’s “quote-moving target-unquote†that was in their proposals. During the last few weeks of negotiations, ALPA and the Company exchanged several proposals that had different approaches to pay, benefits and work rules built into each proposal. This was done to satisfy the MEC’s requirements on these matters. Different proposals contained a changing mix of work rules, pension calculations and pay calculations, and this also changed the accounting results for pension calculations. But in the end, the costing of the different provisions was not going to change the economics of the target. The Company also made it clear that they were not going to back down from their 295 million dollar target number. The pay cuts became larger because some members of the MEC told the Negotiating Committee to proceed that way. Simply put, we got what we asked for.

This would have been a difficult negotiation regardless of our current situation. If a final proposal or TA would have been sent to the pilot group, it would have been a difficult decision for you, but you would have had the facts on which to base your decision. I am truly sorry that you were denied that right.

I know that the uncertainty of this situation concerns all of you, and I know that you deserve all the information we can give you. I’ll soon send out a comprehensive Chairman’s letter that offers a full outline on the events of the past week, and what steps we’ll be taking in the future. I’ll also be recording a chairman’s message to the pilots shortly. Please continue to use the code a phone, website and chairman’s message to keep updated on news about the status of Transformation Plan negotiations.

Thanks for watching.

I guess that nips the rumor of the company "moving the target" in the bud....

However, if the Company chooses to restructure through bankruptcy court, a deal with their most powerful union would have provided an important stabilizing effect during court proceedings and would have shown the financial community and the government that they had a plan that could succeed.
looks like a very divided union to the public and the company.

This man is a disgrace to our profession and our union.

The PIT and PHL reps are backed by 1852 pilots of this airline. The vast majority of pilots still flying. They were elected by the bylaws of ALPA abd they are playing within the rules of our bylaws and constitution. Yet this cretin does not accept that fact. He is disgraceful.

This man is enamored with Lakefield without understanding who is really pulling the strings. He is blinded by his loyalty to a fellow naval officer and has discarded his loyalty to this pilot group. I am utterly amazed how he cannot see what is being attempted by this management team. He is willing to sell out his pilot group.

Be that as it may this union will not capitulate to an alter ego plan without forcing a judge to be the final arbiter. Whether that succeeds or fails will depend on many factors but it will not be because the majority of this pilot group gave in to the wholesale land grab of this management. Regardless of what a disgraceful MEC Chairman thinks.

mr

mwereplanes,

Although I respect your right to your point of view (less the personal attacks on Pollack) If/When the judge becomes the final arbiter I believe we'll look back nostalgically to the company's last proposal.

us10 said:
mwereplanes,
Although I respect your right to your point of view (less the personal attacks on Pollack) If/When the judge becomes the final arbiter I believe we'll look back nostalgically to the company's last proposal.
[post="177522"][/post]​

What was personal? He does blindly favor Lakefield because they both wear a Canoe U ring--that's obvious, especially to outside observers of such things.

"For the Company, the deal would help provide the momentum that it would need to reach agreements with other labor groups."

:angry: How so? For several other groups, there is not enough momentum in the world to pass what the Company is trying to shove down their throats.

"However, if the Company chooses to restructure through bankruptcy court, a deal with their most powerful union would have provided an important stabilizing effect during court proceedings and would have shown the financial community and the government that they had a plan that could succeed."

:rant: Excuse me, but I thought the Company was supposed to have a plan that could succeed last time through BK Court.:oops:

"Your sacrifices in previous restructuring efforts have more than earned you the ability to determine your own fate and that of your airline. "

:angry2: Those sacrifices also earned every employee the right to vote NO this time. And wake up please, the pilot group has no more contol over their fate with the company than any other group.

"The Company also made it clear that they were not going to back down from their 295 million dollar target number. "

Correct me if I am wrong, but the employees are making it CRYSTAL clear that they are not going to back down from voting NO! :up:

us10 said:
mwereplanes,
[post="177522"][/post]​

Not if you can do something other than fly jets for a living.

Nostalgic? Friend if you think you are worth what the company is offering or what the judge will determine you have no sense of the value of this career. For me, it is not worth what is being offered. I'll not be a party to the wholesale rape of this profession so that I can continue to "fly". You may be willing to do that.
The majority of pilots here are not.

Good luck in the future but the fact remains that this pilot group will not allow a management to land grab our profession. If a judge decides to do it you will see retirements in droves and work ethics gone down the tubes. The airline will implode starting with the pilot group. No leadership and pathetic work rules will spell the demise of this airline.

mr

us10 said:
mwereplanes,
[post="177522"][/post]​

US10, it has been pointed out on these boards on several occasions that the BK judge will NOT be the "final arbiter" of the concessionary contract between ALPA and US Airways.

In BK, the judge's only responsibility by law is protection of the creditors' interests. His involvement in the contracts will be to either grant the company's motion to abrogate (wipe out/nullify/flush down the toilet) the current contract between US Airways and ALPA OR to deny said motion. Looking at precedent, it is likely that the motion will be granted.

If granted, you have no contract with US Airways. The company is then free to institute whatever pay and work rules they choose. ALPA then has the right to avail itself of self-help if those new conditions are too onerous.

Be aware, if ALPA goes into BK with an agreement from the company--BK appears to be the likely destination whether or not any agreements are reached with any of the unions--ALPA loses the right to avail itself of self-help. If another union--say, IAM--elects self-help, would you be willing to cross their picket line?

1) Just as Pollock did with the Defined Benefit Pension Plan for Pilots, He wants to change the spirit and intent, let alone, the literal -black and white- rules for Membership Ratification. Only Tentative Agreements will be sent to the Membership for Ratification.

2) If the MEC has not accepted the last offer from the Company, as worthy of the title, "Agreement" by any definition, then the MEC is communicating to the Membership that the Company proposal does not meet the even the minimum standards of acceptability. (As a matter of record, it is unanimous, within the MEC, that the substance of this proposal is unacceptable) And he wants those of lesser talent, ability and informedness to pass judgment of such an offer! Mr Pollock is abrogating responsibility to the Membership for the tough judgments, he was elected to make. However, in his letter, he conveys an impression of acceptability without the courage to personally endorse the Company proposal. Can you say "deniability". One question... Would you have your President of this United States, who sits at the nerve center of responsibility and intelligence, defer the tough but obvious decisions to the citizens of this country every time he fears for the popular or legal accountability of such decisions?

3) The moving target. You decide if the Chairman is Mathematically challenged. Yes, everyone in life is willing to strike a balance in satisfying their personal needs. If you build a home, you might elect to paint the walls instead of hanging wallpaper --This, just so your wife (or husband) might get the marble counter tops she's (he's) always wanted. You might elect to leave the attic space framed but unfinished, so as to give her/him the hardwood floors. etc, etc, etc... You get the picture. However you strive to achieve a constant overall total value of affordability. So if you agree with the Chairman and the Company the following numbers make sense...

First session with builder: 50 + 50 = 90

Second session with builder: 25 + 25 + 50 = 80

Third session with builder: 10 + 30 + 40 + 20 = 60

Is this how you would shelter your family? Each time you visit your builder to discuss various options to shelter your family, he lowers the total value you receive but demands the full price for constructing the home. With respect to the offer presented by the Company, --Even those advisors, referenced by the ALPA Chairman, have gone on record as stating that the valuation is grossly inaccurate. But let's send it to the Membership for Ratification despite the Chairman’s inability to accept responsibility of Accountability for a mere proposal rather than a legitimate agreement.

4) To date we have had two final offers from the Company. Each time, the PHL and PIT reps have chosen to follow the Mandate of the majority of USAirways Pilots. These Representatives have made the tough decisions they were elected to make. These Representatives have insisted that the Company, appropriately, negotiate with the Negotiating Committee rather than the Membership directly. These Representatives are following those rules designed to strengthen the Membership and provide the necessary support of the Pilots Negotiating Committee. Each time the Company has returned to the table. The company is again desiring to fly their proposals before the Membership. In despiration, the MEC Chairman has now resorted to a public campaign to force the Membership to Negotiate with the Company rather than the elected Representatives of the Association.

5) The MEC Chairman, by his actions, has removed the leverage and representative status of the Negotiating Committee. He has eroded the strength and Unity of the Membership. He has destroyed the credibility of the USAirways Pilots by allowing the launch of a public campaign of coercive and self-destructive discourse through formal ALPA communication channels. He has squandered precious Association financial resources with idle, inactive, unproductive, on-going MEC sessions.

6) The Chairman’s actions have harmed (and will harm) the Pilots of USAirways as we most certainly will enter Chapter11 negotiations before an arbitrator of the Court. The past is done (an in accordance with the rules), however the Chairman is engaging in a campaign of specific arguments and debate (without personally, as an elected representative, going on record endorsing the company’s offer) for why we should have had you, the Member, assume his responsibility for accepting this offer as your agreement. This most certainly will be inappropriately used as a powerful weapon against the interest of the Membership before the Court. While the official position of the MEC, the Chairman and the Advisors are that the Company’s proposal is unacceptable; The Chairman has eroded the strength and unity of the Association by airing what should have never been a publicly aired debate.

7) As a matter of record, the Chairman has denied the Membership a vote on it’s Defined Benefit Pension in March of 2003. To achieve this, the Chairman had to evade the spirit, intent and literal print of established rules which govern actions of the Association. In consistent actions, the Chairman is again evading the tough responsibilities of office. He is once again attempting to evade the spirit, intent and literal printed wording of established “reformâ€￾ rules, which have since been specifically designed, to bring unity and strength to the Membership of USAirways Pilots.

mwereplanes said:
Not if you can do something other than fly jets for a living.

Nostalgic? Friend if you think you are worth what the company is offering or what the judge will determine you have no sense of the value of this career. For me, it is not worth what is being offered. I'll not be a party to the wholesale rape of this profession so that I can continue to "fly". You may be willing to do that.
The majority of pilots here are not.

Good luck in the future but the fact remains that this pilot group will not allow a management to land grab our profession. If a judge decides to do it you will see retirements in droves and work ethics gone down the tubes. The airline will implode starting with the pilot group. No leadership and pathetic work rules will spell the demise of this airline.

mr
[post="177529"][/post]​

mr

We will never know what the majority of pilots would be willing to do! I can accept the results of a vote on the companys last proposal why can't you?I can't honestly say how I would vote but I do know I want a choice.

us10 said:
MEC Chairman web cast script

September 8, 2004

I’m Bill Pollock, your MEC chairman, with a web cast update for Wednesday, September 8th. In this web cast, I want to talk about the discussions and actions that were taken earlier this week when the MEC met in Arlington, Virginia, and what happens next with the US Airways pilot group.

Following three months of negotiations between ALPA and management on the Transformation Plan, and after a 12-day period of on-and-off MEC meetings and many negotiating sessions, on the evening of Monday, September 6th, a motion was proffered to send the latest Company proposal out to the membership for ratification. This motion was defeated on a roll call vote by three members of the MEC, with one of those three members holding the proxy for another MEC member. These three MEC members voted against letting the membership determine if the proposal was acceptable. While the roll call vote is authorized under our Constitution and By-Laws, I am growing weary of its incessant use. The bottom line is that three members, elected by less than 10% of our pilots, were able to keep you from making your own decision on your future. And you should know, at this time, negotiations between ALPA and management are in recess, and we do not know whether or when talks will resume.

[post="177495"][/post]​

The MEC President either needs to resign or be recalled and let the chips fall where they should.

mwereplanes said:
This man is a disgrace to our profession and our union.

The PIT and PHL reps are backed by 1852 pilots of this airline. The vast majority of pilots still flying. They were elected by the bylaws of ALPA abd they are playing within the rules of our bylaws and constitution. Yet this cretin does not accept that fact. He is disgraceful.

This man is enamored with Lakefield without understanding who is really pulling the strings. He is blinded by his loyalty to a fellow naval officer and has discarded his loyalty to this pilot group. I am utterly amazed how he cannot see what is being attempted by this management team. He is willing to sell out his pilot group.

Be that as it may this union will not capitulate to an alter ego plan without forcing a judge to be the final arbiter. Whether that succeeds or fails will depend on many factors but it will not be because the majority of this pilot group gave in to the wholesale land grab of this management. Regardless of what a disgraceful MEC Chairman thinks.

mr
[post="177510"][/post]​

I couldn't agree more. This is a shame.

These are the types of actions by MEC Officers that creates grounds for "recall".

jimntx said:
US10, it has been pointed out on these boards on several occasions that the BK judge will NOT be the "final arbiter" of the concessionary contract between ALPA and US Airways.

If granted, you have no contract with US Airways. The company is then free to institute whatever pay and work rules they choose. ALPA then has the right to avail itself of self-help if those new conditions are too onerous.

Be aware, if ALPA goes into BK with an agreement from the company--BK appears to be the likely destination whether or not any agreements are reached with any of the unions--ALPA loses the right to avail itself of self-help. If another union--say, IAM--elects self-help, would you be willing to cross their picket line?
[post="177530"][/post]​

If the judge aborgates agreements, as mrplanes implied, the work groups would not be productive enough to turn the company around to profit... we would implode.

If abrogation is implemented, then there will certainly be more than two or three groups that will strike.

The end to this "bad boy".

or maybe an end to labor unions representing employees in the corporate entity
that replaces and/or morphs into the new usairways....

good luck to all

Latest posts