Latest news regarding DAL/NWA merger...

D

delta777

Delta and Northwest airlines appear close to a merger agreement that would give their pilots and European carrier Air France ownership stakes in what would be the world's biggest airline
The Air Line Pilots Association, the union representing 12,000 pilots at both carriers, is seeking a stake of at least 5% of the merged airline, and a seat on the board of directors, according to three sources briefed on the talks who can't speak publicly because the deal isn't final. Delta and Northwest declined to comment on the talks, as did the union and Air France.

In exchange for the stake in the combined airline, the pilot groups would help speed up the integration by agreeing in advance to contract terms, and by resolving issues related to job seniority at their current airlines. If these issues can be resolved quickly, the merger could be announced next week, the sources said.

Air France, which already has a marketing partnership with Delta and Northwest in Europe, would buy a stake in the new airline for nearly $1 billion in cash, the sources said. No payment would be made between the principal airlines. Air France's investment would give the merged carrier an operating cushion. The Air France stake would be within the limits on foreign ownership of U.S. airlines set by federal law.

A merger between Delta, the USA's No. 3 carrier, and No. 5 Northwest would create the world's largest carrier, eclipsing No. 1 American Airlines. (AMR) The "new" Delta would have headquarters in Atlanta, where Delta is based, the sources said. Delta CEO Richard Anderson, at one time Northwest's CEO, would be chief executive.

The deal would be closed through an exchange of stock, with shareholders of Delta and Northwest trading stock for shares in the new company.

No deal could go forward without approval of the U.S. Departments of Justice and Transportation, as well as both carriers' shareholders. The federal reviews would take several months at least.

Delta operates hubs in Atlanta, New York John F. Kennedy, Cincinnati and Salt Lake City. Northwest has hubs at Minneapolis, Detroit, Memphis and Tokyo Narita airport. Plans do not call for closing or significantly reducing any right away, the sources said. That would mean few if any near-term job losses for frontline airline or airport employees.

A Delta-Northwest deal would be the first merger among major U.S. carriers since America West acquired US Airways (LCC) out of Chapter 11 bankruptcy in 2005. Industry experts say a merger as large as Delta-Northwest would quickly prompt other major carriers such as American, United (UAUA) and Continental (CAL) to pursue mergers to stay competitive.

A securities filing Wednesday said Anderson has offered to give up any extra compensation he otherwise would receive after a merger.

Delta 777

In your opinion what would the new airline look like in terms of hubs?

Would the operations be consolidated in each city and how long would this take?

Example: What would happen at DCA. Currently Delta flies out of the new terminal (concourse B) and Northwest flies out of the unappealing and old A terminal. Would Northwest flights be moved to the Delta pier?

Thanks for your wisdom.

Delta 777, the 400 does look nice in the Delta colors.
My guess is that MEM will be gone as a base and CompASS/PCL will be the only ones flying out of there. MSP/DTW will survive. I also think that DFW will come back and HNL will be a player. HNL will be a good spot to make a gateway to the orient. The operations will be consolidated. Just my opinion but all ground ops (new hires) will be replaced with DAL hires with good attitudes.
Pilots seem to have a good handle on the merge and will make the seniority list work to MAKE the airline work. With that being said, "Both airlines see the profitability in the deal. DAL and NWA see the WIN/WIN and want to make this work." There will be very little looking down the nose on this one.
JMO

Delta 777

In your opinion what would the new airline look like in terms of hubs?

Would the operations be consolidated in each city and how long would this take?

Example: What would happen at DCA. Currently Delta flies out of the new terminal (concourse B) and Northwest flies out of the unappealing and old A terminal. Would Northwest flights be moved to the Delta pier?

Thanks for your wisdom.

YEAH,....nwa400......

I TOO would like a specific ANSWER to your "BS" reference about...........Ground Ops........................New hires,...........(and ESPECIALLY)....w/Good ATTITUDES !!!!!!!!!!!!

????????????????
WAIT A MINUTE GUYS!!!

Kev, NO WAY DUDE........I dont know ONE pilot who thinks that we are anything more than your employee brothers and sisters. I dont know where everyone gets the idea that the pilots believe they are anything more than employees the same as you. Just because I fly an airplane .....I am no better than my sister throwing a bag, turning a wrench, changing a light bulb. We are NWA. Employee brohters & sisters. This is how I feel and HONESTLY, I have NEVER heard a pilot say anything about knowing best for all employee groups. Alpa has a GREAT RESPECT (I think) for all employee groups. I.E. the airplanes do not move unless there is someone that does every aspect of work for NWA.

My mistake for not having two sentences. Here you go. 1) IMO that the new hires will be replaced.......wrongly....(I think that NWA is running with people hired for short term).....Delta will want its people in these positions. I think NWA has hired people for short term and not told them. (THIS IS NOT RIGHT) I went back and re-read my post......my appologies for not making it more understandable. I meant no disrespect to the new hires. 2) NO disrespect to the DAL folks either.......this sentence needed a bit of tweeking also. MY BAD........"will be replaced with DAL people with good attitudes"....should have been written..........will be replaced with Andersons folks from DAL who are known for loving the company and having good attitudes and will try to spread the DAL pride. I am not saying that there are not NWA folks that do not love the company or dont have company pride. I do think that there will be new hires let go after the merge. (sadly) I have heard that the pilots will be called to ATL to get a few days of DAL indoc.! To learn the DAL way.

There you have it. No disrespect meant to anyone. My sincere appologies to anyone that I might have offended. NOT MY STYLE!
Hoping for a good outcome,

Hey Delta you are not going to treat NWA the way you did with Pan Am and Western!!!!!!!!!!!http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/080220/delta_northwest.html?.v=9

Hey Delta you are not going to treat NWA the way you did with Pan Am and Western!!!!!!!!!!!http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/080220/delta_northwest.html?.v=9

Just a news story. Fact is that the pilot discussions have no bearing on whether or not the merger can be announced and pushed...they just have to do with how seamless the deal will be. There is no clause/rule/etc that allows for the pilots to veto this type of company decision. DL/NW are trying to do the right thing by allowing these groups to start discussions now and hammer out a resolution rather than have a US/HP debacle (i.e. poor planning).

Just a news story. Fact is that the pilot discussions have no bearing on whether or not the merger can be announced and pushed...they just have to do with how seamless the deal will be. There is no clause/rule/etc that allows for the pilots to veto this type of company decision. DL/NW are trying to do the right thing by allowing these groups to start discussions now and hammer out a resolution rather than have a US/HP debacle (i.e. poor planning).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yes...Ch. 12, on "paper", your legally correct.

But to underestimate the NW pilots, "of ALL pilots groups", would be very foolish.

These guys were known to STRIKE, if you looked "cross eyed" at them.

First off, if I was NW/ALPA, I'd HOLD OUT for EVERYTHING that they want...Meaning seniority(from what I'm hearing/reading, $$$$ doesn't seem to be the Issue)
IMHO, The NW pilots are holding MOST of the cards. FIRST off, NW Doesn't NEED the deal. If the dam* thing fails, and for NW's sake I HOPE it does, NW keeps there name, everything in MINNY stays the same, and then..DL, who PRETTY much needs a deal, can go "charm UA, or CO.
As MUCH as UA wants to deal, THEY are NOT giving up their name !!!!

For example, If I was a NW pilot, who Just got INTO the right seat of the A330, I would,nt be "conceeding" That................to a DL FO, who was "stuck" flying right seat on a 757, and had 1 day more seniority on me.

Why couldn't they make a list, of every pilot, say, (as of 1/1/08), who was flying A330's...767's..777's and 747's, that specified WIDE BODY Time, then Dove tail everyone else by DOH.
A 757 is a 757....................a 320 is a 737....a 319 is a MD-80...they're all Narrow bodys

From what I'm hearing, its the Junior pilots thats the hang up.
Junior Pilots = narrowbody flying.

????????

WAIT A MINUTE GUYS!!!

Kev, NO WAY DUDE........I dont know ONE pilot who thinks that we are anything more than your employee brothers and sisters. I dont know where everyone gets the idea that the pilots believe they are anything more than employees the same as you. Just because I fly an airplane .....I am no better than my sister throwing a bag, turning a wrench, changing a light bulb. We are NWA. Employee brohters & sisters. This is how I feel and HONESTLY, I have NEVER heard a pilot say anything about knowing best for all employee groups. Alpa has a GREAT RESPECT (I think) for all employee groups. I.E. the airplanes do not move unless there is someone that does every aspect of work for NWA.

This is a refreshing attitude, and I sincerely appreciate that you feel that way. However, the actions of the majority your colleagues say otherwise.

My mistake for not having two sentences. Here you go. 1) IMO that the new hires will be replaced.......wrongly....(I think that NWA is running with people hired for short term).....Delta will want its people in these positions. I think NWA has hired people for short term and not told them. (THIS IS NOT RIGHT) I went back and re-read my post......my appologies for not making it more understandable. I meant no disrespect to the new hires. 2) NO disrespect to the DAL folks either.......this sentence needed a bit of tweeking also. MY BAD........"will be replaced with DAL people with good attitudes"....should have been written..........will be replaced with Andersons folks from DAL who are known for loving the company and having good attitudes and will try to spread the DAL pride. I am not saying that there are not NWA folks that do not love the company or dont have company pride. I do think that there will be new hires let go after the merge. (sadly) I have heard that the pilots will be called to ATL to get a few days of DAL indoc.! To learn the DAL way.

Thanks for the clarifications. On the issue of new hires being "short term," I think you're dead-on (at least from the Ground Ops side of the house). It seems like a waste of time/resources to be constantly on the hunt for a "right now" candidate instead of the "right" person for the long term, but here we are. The attrition at my station is amazing, especially when compared to people hired even just a few short years ago.

There you have it. No disrespect meant to anyone. My sincere appologies to anyone that I might have offended. NOT MY STYLE!
Hoping for a good outcome,

No problem. Thanks again for the clarifiations and your stance of us all bringing something valuable to the table. :)

Does anyone Know if this is indeed a MERGER or a BUYOUT by Delta ?
Pilots at Delta are telling us that this is actually a Buyout....

Does anyone Know if this is indeed a MERGER or a BUYOUT by Delta ?
Pilots at Delta are telling us that this is actually a Buyout....
Wait a minute, the pilots have supposedly been in merger talks with each other yet a statement like this is circulating? Give me a break.

:blink: Where's the non-contract, non-union, non-pilots' industry standard pay? :blink:
....and Delta is in the middle of an anti-union campaign with the flight attendants, stating that a union can't help ya! :blink:

"A Delta pilot who was briefed on the talks told the AJC Tuesday that the pilot unions' negotiating committee have hammered out an agreement to give all pilots up to $100,000 stake in the new company.
Northwest pilots would also see pay raises of up to 15 percent to catch up with better-paid Delta pilots, who also would get a modest pay increase, the pilot said. The negotiating committee's agreement would be contingent on union leadership approval now, and ultimately to approval by members of both pilot unions. The membership would have to ratify any pact that merged their two units of the Air Line Pilots Association, the pilot said."

http://www.ajc.com/business/content/busine...age_tab_newstab

Latest posts