Latest Updates from SWA & AMFA's Contract Negotiations

AMFAinMIAMI

Veteran
Jun 22, 2012
Miami, Fl.
Swa Maintenance and Related​
 ​
I check here every once in a while so that I can see just how the contract Negotiations are going, and I see very little as to how things are going and if any progress is being made or any information as to what you are asking and what the company is countering with?​
 ​
Over on the AA site we see several SWA mechanics posting but not much here was wondering why?​
 ​
Any information from someone who has sat in on any of the negotiation sessions or info from your Area Reps, will be appreciated.​

AMFAinMIAMI said:

Swa Maintenance and Related​
 ​
I check here every once in a while so that I can see just how the contract Negotiations are going, and I see very little as to how things are going and if any progress is being made or any information as to what you are asking and what the company is countering with?​
 ​
Over on the AA site we see several SWA mechanics posting but not much here was wondering why?​
 ​
Any information from someone who has sat in on any of the negotiation sessions or info from your Area Reps, will be appreciated.​

AIM,  Nego's has been slow.  Mainly being dragged by the company side with the company telling their uppers that the union is dragging out the talks.  The only thing I can direct you to is the AMFA11 website for recent updates as well as AMFA National for the video updates.  I hate to offer you this part as most the time the company says they will produce or move forward on something in the next session of nego's they always have gone backwards, but, I will tell you about it.  The company is suppose to be presenting what they call a "comprehensive package" to the unions nego team at the next meetings set for Oct 15th and 16th.  This "comprehensive package" is suppose to include the economics as well as other factors.  We are being told the company needs to do this in order to be able to move forward, close on other articles that are reflected by the economic package, and to have a contract to vote on and agreed to by the end of this year (company wants this done by end of year, at least as they have said---I do not believe them, and neither does anybody else).  They have backed off some stuff, and demands since the very beginning, but I will not get into any of those details out here in internet land as they could very well revert right back to them if they want to.  AIM, I will promise to give you an update after the 15 and 16th as I think we will have a much better idea once these nego's are done, mind you we very well might go backwards sir.  I know you guys are watching us, and I know you guys are hoping we get done soon.  Things actually are going better now than they did in the very beginning, progress is being made but it is slow.  BTW, our pilots were offered their economic package and it is very different from the companies original position when they first started as well.  Looks like things are starting to move forward as the company NOW wants contracts to be done.  Just to give you an idea, the company only made 2 days per month available for us mechanics, when they were giving th pilots minimum 4 days and most the time 4 days per week and every week.  Big difference.  My personal opinion?  If they want our contract to be voted on by the end of this year, then the company better come to the table very prepared and honest and up front, but I don't see this happening, they will low ball drastically to try to get the feel of the membership as usual.  If they do this they WILL NOT have a contract by the end of the year.  Long and drug out AIM, but now you have a better picture.  Stay tuned I will update after we get the next update from our nego cmte after the 15th and 16th sessions.  Carry on brother, your doing a fantastic job in all you do. Stay focussed, stay strong and I truely hope you guys get AMFA in at AA, Dell will love for that to happen...

swamt said:
AIM,  Nego's has been slow.  Mainly being dragged by the company side with the company telling their uppers that the union is dragging out the talks.  The only thing I can direct you to is the AMFA11 website for recent updates as well as AMFA National for the video updates.  I hate to offer you this part as most the time the company says they will produce or move forward on something in the next session of nego's they always have gone backwards, but, I will tell you about it.  The company is suppose to be presenting what they call a "comprehensive package" to the unions nego team at the next meetings set for Oct 15th and 16th.  This "comprehensive package" is suppose to include the economics as well as other factors.  We are being told the company needs to do this in order to be able to move forward, close on other articles that are reflected by the economic package, and to have a contract to vote on and agreed to by the end of this year (company wants this done by end of year, at least as they have said---I do not believe them, and neither does anybody else).  They have backed off some stuff, and demands since the very beginning, but I will not get into any of those details out here in internet land as they could very well revert right back to them if they want to.  AIM, I will promise to give you an update after the 15 and 16th as I think we will have a much better idea once these nego's are done, mind you we very well might go backwards sir.  I know you guys are watching us, and I know you guys are hoping we get done soon.  Things actually are going better now than they did in the very beginning, progress is being made but it is slow.  BTW, our pilots were offered their economic package and it is very different from the companies original position when they first started as well.  Looks like things are starting to move forward as the company NOW wants contracts to be done.  Just to give you an idea, the company only made 2 days per month available for us mechanics, when they were giving th pilots minimum 4 days and most the time 4 days per week and every week.  Big difference.  My personal opinion?  If they want our contract to be voted on by the end of this year, then the company better come to the table very prepared and honest and up front, but I don't see this happening, they will low ball drastically to try to get the feel of the membership as usual.  If they do this they WILL NOT have a contract by the end of the year.  Long and drug out AIM, but now you have a better picture.  Stay tuned I will update after we get the next update from our nego cmte after the 15th and 16th sessions.  Carry on brother, your doing a fantastic job in all you do. Stay focussed, stay strong and I truely hope you guys get AMFA in at AA, Dell will love for that to happen...

SWAmt

Any news from your negtiations?

AMFAinMIAMI said:

SWAmt

Any news from your negtiations?
Not really.  Company side was suppose to pass a comprehensive package that was to also have economics involved with it.  From what I have heard the company was too embarrassed to pas the offer across saying tey did not want to disrespect us with such a low-ball offer.  So as usual for more stall tactics they did not pass the offer.  Some articles have been TA'd, but that don't mean nothing as the co tends to reopen at next meeting.  The reason you guys are not really hearing anything is because we as a group are in no hurry.  All updates written and video are provided at AMFA 11 and AMFA National web sites. I will add that we now have a new VP involved and he wants something by the end of this year.  Our side does not see this happening as the co keeps stalling and pulling back offers.  Maybe, just maybe we might have something by our 3rd year after amendment date of contract which is 8-16-15.
To give you a little more info, pilots we offered raises, but the majority of the raises were tied to performance bonuses which were all but 1% not attainable.  Another group that has just recently TA'd and will vote soon has been offered 1.5% per year for 3 years then a 2% at end with other performance type bonuses also tied to it and to the top out scale workers instead of hard raises.  All their offers are viewed at the IAM 142 local web site.  Which they are claiming to be the first group to TA'd at SWA, but in reality it was the Sym-Techs.  Not sure how our customer service group will vote on it but it must have been what the membership wanted because the union agreed to it and are proud of the TA so I guess we will see.  I for one have no clue how they feel about it as I have not talked to a single person, however, thus far, I have not heard of any rumblings.  My personal feelings on all this still lies with the company wanting to not give any raises and endure any contract costs prior to hitting the 15-17% ROIC for 14 and 15.  Once they know they have achieved this then I think you will start to see better progress from the companies side of things.
AIM, I know you guys would LUV for us to come to an agreement before you guys have a vote to get AMFA in, but I do not foresee that happening.  Union is comparing all airlines including cargo. As we should be paid more for flying humans not packages.  Millions and millions of packages are a write-off, millions and millions of human lives are not--PERIOD...

AMFAinMIAMI,
   Update long awaited.  The union got fed up with waiting for the co to pass their "comprehensive package".  Therefore after getting nothing from the company in Oct of last as promised by the co, or at least "pulled back" in order not to disrespect us, the union started right away to work on their own "comprehensive package".   This package was passed to the company this week to the companies shock and surprise.  It is a full blown package including everything and it is now in the co's hands as we await their response.  Meetings are planned for this week and next week for the membership to be brought up on all the details.  Plus, I believe we have our monthly union meeting next week as well which I am sure it will be packed with lots and lots of questions and details being released.  I have no idea if our communication officers will put this out on the web sites.  Be sure to check them over the next couple of weeks to see if they do.  I guess we will all see how all this pans out for both sides soon.  By no means am I suggesting this will go thru, pretty sure the co is going to want to drag this out even further but as of now, the contract offer is in the companies hands as we speak, what they decide to do with it is totally up to them.  I still say we end up in mediation along with the pilots.  Sorry for no details as of yet but wanted to put this info out to you as I promised I would.  Maybe things will finally get moving for a change...

you do realize that mediation is the worst scenario that WN labor could be in? what are you going to compare yourself to but lower paid employees at other airlines?

WN doesn't intend to maintain the huge pay gap that currently exists between WN employees and those at other airlines and is going to drag the process out until other airlines slowly come up to WN's levels.

You are wrong and dont understand Section 6 and Mediation.

Mediation from the NMB is getting a mediator who facilitates negotiations and controls the negotiation schedule.
They dont negotiate nor tell either party what to propose and not propose.

Mediation under Section 6 and the RLA is more a facilitation.

You are wrong once again World Fraudster.

And neither side the company nor the union is under any obligation to accept the proffer of arbitration, and no union in the airlines will.

NMB Mediation Process
The purpose of mediation under the Railway Labor Act is to foster the prompt and orderly resolution of collective bargaining disputes in the railroad and airline industries. These disputes, referred to as “major” disputes, involve the establishment or revision of rates of pay, rules, or working conditions.
 ​
The Railway Labor Act imposes a duty on the parties “to make and maintain agreements … and to settle all disputes … to avoid any interruption to commerce or to the operation of any carrier …”. The parties should attempt to resolve collective bargaining disputes through direct negotiations. Failing that, either party may involve the Board’s services or the Board may involve itself on its own initiative.

The Board will employ a variety of methods, including but not limited to, traditional mediation, interest-based problem solving, or facilitation to peacefully conclude collective bargaining. If, in the Board’s expert assessment, mediation will be unsuccessful, the Board will “induce the parties to submit their [dispute] to arbitration.” No changes to the status quo may be made until the Board has taken a final action.

If, in the judgement of the Board, the unresolved dispute will threaten to interrupt interstate commerce “to a degree such as to deprive any section of the country of essential transportation service”, the President may create an emergency board to “investigate and report” on the dispute.

For a flow chart of the Collective Bargaining process under the Railway Labor Act, click here.

http://www.nmb.gov/services/mediation/mediation-process/

Go to AMFA11 for a very good update and a very well explanation.  We will get the details during the meetings.  Stay tuned for more details...

I absolutely do understand the difference.

and it still doesn't mean that WN employees have any prayer of getting any outside help to force WN to give pay raises when WN employees are at the top of the industry.

WN doesn't care about dragging the process out because there employees have virtually no power to force pay increases.

Why would they need outside help?

They are AMFA members and have their own negotiators.

Back