Layoffs

Hopeful

Veteran
Dec 21, 2002
March 6, 2009

To: Airport Services Employees Represented by the TWU

Dear Colleague,

Many of us have been impacted by the economic recession that is affecting nearly every industry and reaching every corner of the world. Whether family members have lost jobs or our own retirement savings have suffered with market swings, no one seems to be immune.

Within the airline industry, the recession has resulted in a serious dent in travel demand. At American, we’re experiencing the lowest advanced booking rates we’ve seen in a long time. Load factors are down by double digits year over year, affected by a decline in both business and leisure travelers. Recent economic forecasts indicate that these challenges will continue throughout the year.

As most responsible companies do, we closely monitor supply and demand. And, as conditions warrant, we make adjustments to find the right balance to support American’s long-term success. One of the areas of focus is always staffing – we need to ensure we have staffing levels that properly support our anticipated level of business. Unfortunately, the current market demand does not require the manning levels that are in place today in many locations. As a result, a Reduction in Force will be needed in some locations, effective May 2, 2009.

To minimize the number of involuntary furloughs, the “Stand-in-Stead†(SIS) option will continue to be available for TWU-represented employees. As a reminder, to be offered a SIS, TWU-represented employees must be in the same classification and status as those positions deemed surplus. The deadline to place your name on the list to be considered for a SIS in time for the upcoming reduction is March 25. Employees can add/delete their name up until this “freeze†date. Once the freeze is effective, there can be no additions or deletions to the list.

To learn more about this option, log onto Jetnet. From the home page, click on the “Policies and Procedures†tab located on the menu bar at the top of the page, and then select “People Reduction Information†from the left side menu. Next, click on “TWU Represented Employees†and then select “Stand-in-Stead.†As a reminder, your manager has the right to limit or deny employee elections based on operational necessity.

Please remember that timelines are extremely critical when applying for SIS. It is important to remove your name from the list in the event you no longer wish to apply for this option.

Note that the Voluntary Bridge to Retirement Program is no longer being offered and no additional VBRs will be granted.

We realize that selecting this option is an important decision. Take the time to make sure you are fully informed before making your decision. When reviewing information, please note that Jetnet contains the most accurate information regarding the voluntary programs. If you believe there are differences between information contained in this letter and on Jetnet, please rely on the Jetnet content.

If you have questions about the programs after reading the information on Jetnet, please call Talent Services at (800) 447-2000 or speak to your manager.

Sincerely,

The same letter was issued for airport agents

This letter really contradicts whats on aacareers.com, I'm not sure what is really going on right now with AA. How could they be hiring and then what give these poor new hires the boot, this is unbelievable.

During Contract negotiations, AA will use all the tools at their disposal to maximize their position. Including using a little psychology. Just the "suggestion" of future lay-offs, in their mind, can go a long way!

I hope your correct i really don't want to go through another layoff again this is getting old.

<_< ------AA767, Hang in there guy! And if it happens, deal with it. ------- But don't look for trouble! I keep telling my Son that "there's more to life than Airplanes!" But his answer to that is: "Dad, I'm an Aircraft Mechanic, that's what I do!"------- Oh well, what can you say to that? But! He doesn't work for American! I have mixed emotions on that one! :unsure:

You can say, "Son, look elsewhere, it is a dead end career".

Tell him to get into the power distribution/building maintenance field. It is nearly recession proof and the pay is higher than what an A&P makes now with better benefits...

I am an aircraft mechanic that does not work on airplanes any longer. I have been withholding my A&P/FCC services since NWA and the rest decided that we were not worth the pay any longer.

My organization is trying to hire 4 guys right now and will be hiring many more in the future.

Thanks for your confident words MCI transplant, I guess where going to have to wait and see what goes on in the next couple of months.
Summer is not to far off so maybe the PAX counts will go up and the heat will be turned off on all this layoff stuff, we could only watch wait and see.

You can say, "Son, look elsewhere, it is a dead end career".

Tell him to get into the power distribution/building maintenance field. It is nearly recession proof and the pay is higher than what an A&P makes now with better benefits...

I am an aircraft mechanic that does not work on airplanes any longer. I have been withholding my A&P/FCC services since NWA and the rest decided that we were not worth the pay any longer.

My organization is trying to hire 4 guys right now and will be hiring many more in the future.
<_< ------ Good advice! My Dad was a "Stationary Engineer" for the Dept. of Airports for one of our Major Cities. Was Supervisor and had the responsibility for Maintaining the Utilities for said Airport for over twenty years.

<_< ----- We also had quit a few of our better AMT's go to work for "Kansas City Power and Light". Pay, and benefits, equal to ,or better than AA! And job security!------ I doubt that AA will ever see them again!

Has anybody heard of what title groups will be affected this time around?
I know that LGA Fleet Service said EWR freight and mail.

From someone who did say enough is enough. There is life outside of the airlines, and it is good.

Some questions to think about.

If you are in constant fear of being laid off, its time to find something else.

If you are in fear of buying some big ticket item, for fear of losing your income, its time to find something else.

If you are tired of all the whining and complaining, its time to find something else.

You don't have to be sarcastic FA Mikey Its only because i love what i do and I'd like to know what is going on if anyone knows whats going on, and since this is a gathering place for talk of this subject then what better place.
If you don't like what is mentioned here then move on. I think your the one whining and complaining not me!!

Not that FA Mikey needs any defense, but I personally do not see his post as sarcastic. I see it as a suggestion to you or anyone worried about losing your job. It's admirable you like what you do, but our field has been steadily declining in terms of earning power and even necessity considering the outsourcing craze. With so many mechanics on the street, any increase in compensation probably will not happen until ALL airline mechanics demonstrate how important they are.

Latest posts