Left with no choice...

mplscenter

Nov 27, 2005
The nwa executive team kindly requests that you bend over and assume the position...

"Northwest mechanics to vote on deal that would end strike

JOSHUA FREED

Associated Press

MINNEAPOLIS - Striking Northwest Airlines Corp. mechanics will vote on a deal to end the walkout, their union said Monday. The terms looked like a total victory for the airline.

If union members approve, strikers would be laid off and placed in line for jobs behind the permanent replacements Northwest hired during the strike. Strikers would collect four weeks of layoff pay and Northwest agreed not to fight their claims for unemployment benefits.

"That's not what I struck for," Local 33 strike coordinator Mike Klemm said. He said he would vote against it.

The 115-day strike began Aug. 20 when more than 4,000 mechanics, cleaners and custodians walked out rather than accept deep layoffs and pay cuts. Northwest kept flying, eventually hiring 880 permanent replacements and giving the rest of AMFA's work to outside vendors.

Northwest has said the permanent replacements included 280 strikers and 200 laid-off union members.

Those replacements will keep their jobs, and strikers on a recall list would have a right to new openings, the union said.

The Aircraft Mechanics Fraternal Association said the vote would be conducted electronically. A timetable had not been set. Members who had crossed the picket line would not be allowed to vote.

AMFA has not allowed members to vote on earlier Northwest offers, including one that would have brought 2,750 mechanics back to work.

This vote is "a way to give our membership a say-so in their future," said AMFA contract coordinator Jeff Mathews. He said the union would not recommend that members vote one way or the other, in keeping with its practice on all contract votes.

In Minnesota, laid-off strikers would be eligible for government unemployment benefits as soon as they apply, said Department of Employment and Economic Development spokeswoman Kit Borgman.

"We are pleased that the AMFA leadership has announced a ratification vote on the latest contract proposal," Northwest spokesman Kurt Ebenhoch said. "A ratified agreement would end the mechanics strike and allow both parties to move forward."

University of Minnesota labor professor John Remington said putting this out to a vote was the responsible thing for AMFA to do.

"If it passes, it puts the people on strike in an infinitely better position," he said. "Right now they've got a strike that really isn't going anywhere.""

Is management required to offer anything at this point?

Why can't they just walk away, suspend negotiations indefinitely and tell everyone to go home and forget about it all?

What a generous gift.

"Thank you sir, may I have another?"

Happy holidays to you too. :angry2:
Doesn't any blame lie at AMFA's feet? Their members could have had 2,750 jobs, which is about 1,900 more positions than NWA ideally wanted AMFA to have. How could AMFA have blown it this badly, unless their leadership (and apparently their ill-informed members) was oblivious to the "real" market rate for that craft.

Why do those that lash out on this board make it such a personal issue? Why not just accept the ebb and flow of the marketplace, and adapt within that framework like everybody else. NWA executives are trying to create a profitable airline, which is not an easy task. They don't sit around smoking cigars laughing about how they're screwing the workers. On the contrary, they'd love to have a happy and well paid workforce and still be able to run a profitable airline. Since the value of an airline seat has been diminished to a commodity, the cost structure has to be changed to accomodate that economic reality.

Why get angry at them for doing what any sensible person would do in their situation. Why not use that energy to adapt to the marketplace by developing a skill that has a higher demand (and thus higher pay) in the marketplace.

Finman:

Your comments are right on the mark.

We all have to adapt to our surroundings all of our lives.

But, you are asking these union members to be rational.

I have yet to see much of that among the ones who post here.

As you say, they take it all so personally.

They seem to want to go through life with blinders on and be told what to do and when to do it.

I hope they wake up soon and make lemonade out of the lemons they have.

This has got to be the most pitiful outcome that could of been imagined.

The unions website states:

Stay Strong, Stay Committed, Stay Unified.

What the heck were they thinking when they saw this proposal?

I think this is a slap in everyone's face who stood on the picket lines face.

What do they get? Stuck in line behind replacements? whoopty doo.

Unemployment benefits? Most already get it.

Wow.

Is it too much to ask to have some reasoned discussion, or do meaningless snide quips pass for that in your circles?

Reasoned discussion(s) are fine-and welcomed- but don't try to insult me by claiming NW mgmt. has alturistic goals. The last thing they care about is wether or not the masses are happy. Get real.

I need some enlightenment:

You guys are on strike and standing out in the cold around 55 gal. drums belching fire and heat and holding picket signs.
RIGHT?

You guys are still paying union dues.
RIGHT?

The union leaders are sitting inside in their offices, paid for by your dues.
The union leaders are smoking cigars, paid for by your dues.
The union leaders go out for lunch, paid for by your dues.
The union leaders still get a paycheck, paid for by your dues.

If all that is true, I want to be a union leader.

You guys are on strike and standing out in the cold around 55 gal. drums belching fire and heat and holding picket signs.
RIGHT?

Incorrect. My work group is not on strike.

RIGHT?

Yes. But you already knew that.

Great. Come back from retirement, get ivolved, and run for office. :rolleyes:

Doesn't any blame lie at AMFA's feet? Their members could have had 2,750 jobs, which is about 1,900 more positions than NWA ideally wanted AMFA to have. How could AMFA have blown it this badly, unless their leadership (and apparently their ill-informed members) was oblivious to the "real" market rate for that craft.

Why do those that lash out on this board make it such a personal issue? Why not just accept the ebb and flow of the marketplace, and adapt within that framework like everybody else. NWA executives are trying to create a profitable airline, which is not an easy task. They don't sit around smoking cigars laughing about how they're screwing the workers. On the contrary, they'd love to have a happy and well paid workforce and still be able to run a profitable airline. Since the value of an airline seat has been diminished to a commodity, the cost structure has to be changed to accomodate that economic reality.

Why get angry at them for doing what any sensible person would do in their situation. Why not use that energy to adapt to the marketplace by developing a skill that has a higher demand (and thus higher pay) in the marketplace.

You sir, are an idiot.

You state that AMFA "blew it" by not accepting a contract that would hae saved 2750 jobs. That contract would never have passed if it had been put to the membership for a vote, since 53% of the mechanics, cleaners and custodians would never have voted themselves out of a job.

That contract also only had job protection for (I believe) 90 days. So when NWA declared banruptcy, they would have waited for day 91, gone to the bankruptcy judge and said "we only need 880 mechanics".

If NWA was trying to create a profitable airline, why did they insist on not raising fares along with all the other legacy carriers?

If NWA supposedly wants a happy workforce, why do they insist on screwing them, and yes, smoking cigars in their offices laughing about it every chance they get?

Unemployment benefits? Most already get it.

Wow.

Wrong. Only the cleaners and custodians are getting it.

RIGHT?

RIGHT?

Here's a suggestion Jimmy, Why don't you go back to your shuffle board game and let the NW mechanics vote NO again ? :lol:

RIGHT?

RIGHT?

If you are talking about the AMFA mechanics:

Right.
Wrong.

And I don't think you want to be an AMFA union leader, since they certainly aren't getting rich off of it.