Legacy Airlines: Woolly Mammoths Or.....

BoeingBoy

Veteran
Nov 9, 2003
Viewpoint
Legacy Airlines: Woolly Mammoths Or Their Own Saviors?
Aviation Week & Space Technology
03/22/2004, page 66

Julius Maldutis
New York

Even before the enactment of the Airline Deregulation Act in 1978, the U.S. airline industry experienced a profound technological change as carriers converted from piston to jet aircraft in the late 1950s and early 1960s.

Since then, for more than three decades, the U.S. industry has repeated a boom-and-bust cycle with startling regularity. In the early 1970s, the industry suffered its first fuel crisis when oil prices doubled. A decade later, another fuel crisis and a near economic depression produced profound financial distress and the bankruptcy of Continental Airlines. Labor concessions enabled network or legacy carriers to enjoy rapid expansion using two-tiered wage structures to effectively compete against Continental and the new airlines. The 1980s witnessed the creation of 152 airlines. All except one failed.

At the start of the 1990s, another fuel price escalation and a financial cycle occurred, ending in 1993 with a net loss of $12.5 billion for the major U.S. carriers. The industry's accumulated net profits since the Wright brothers' flight were obliterated. Again, concessions by labor and the liquidation of three famous airlines--Braniff, Eastern and Pan Am--enabled the legacy carriers to enjoy financial prosperity through the 1990s. Helping the cause were a strong economy and a roaring stock market that drove a boom in business travel.

The new century opened with another crisis. In the fall of 2000--a year before the tragedy of Sept. 11, 2001--erosion of business travel began to be widespread. Disintegration of the industry's pricing structure had become permanent and management again turned to labor for help. The financial losses for the three-year period ended in 2003 total $24.1 billion. Today, the optimists predict a small loss of less than $1 billion for 2004 and a return to profitability in 2005; the pessimists look for Armageddon. The only difference is that only two airlines have entered Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection--US Airways and United--and no liquidations have occurred. We may shortly see the beginning of such a liquidation cycle. With the first quarter of 2004 almost complete, the optimists are already in retreat, with worse than expected financial results becoming ever more likely. Last year's $5.8-billion loss could well be repeated in the current year.

Thus, today a vast debate is underway, not so much as to whether several legacy carriers will be liquidated and provide the solution for the survivors, but rather whether we will see a titanic transformation of the U.S. aviation industry with few, if any, legacy carriers remaining and new startups dominating the U.S. aviation industry for decades.

Unlike the 1980s, when all but one startup failed, the current crop--with the likes of AirTran, JetBlue and a slate of new airlines in the wings--represents a profound and perhaps a permanent challenge to the legacy carriers. Is there a solution or is that group, as some analysts have suggested, destined to go the way of the woolly mammoths?

There is a solution, but so far only the current management of Continental seems to have recognized it. The solution is simple, yet requires more than just token approaches. Aircraft fleet simplification, work rule changes and spares elimination comprise the answer. Any legacy carrier operating in domestic and international arenas cannot and must not think it can survive with more than three different aircraft types. Some continue to delude themselves that 10 or more types still make for an acceptable operational strategy.

Southwest's Herb Kelleher has shown that a purely domestic airline only needs one aircraft type. New entrants such as JetBlue in the U.S., Ryanair in Europe, WestJet in Canada and Virgin Blue in Australia all follow the Southwest model. More new entrants are waiting to demonstrate this principle to the legacy airlines, even more forcefully.

It is almost absurd to seek large wage reductions as a single solution, while hoping to provide high-quality service and maintain employee loyalty and commitment. Even more absurd has been the attempt by legacy airlines to start low- fare airlines on their own as a means of competing against the Southwests, AirTrans, WestJets and JetBlues. The failure of Continental's Cal Lite, Shuttle by United, US Airways' Metrojet and Delta Express showed it can't be done. United with Ted and Delta with Song are trying again, having learned nothing from the first attempts; the latter is already showing signs of financial pain.

Why have they failed? That remains an intriguing question. It's probably because those legacy carriers were unable to create distinct corporate cultures and simply transferred their baggage to new airlines. A clean sheet of paper with a blank checkbook and a new management, as well as new employees, probably would have given them a good chance of succeeding. At least the senior managements of American and Northwest airlines were not so foolish, but rather have spent their financial resources on rebuilding existing operations. An even better indication that legacy airline managements are floundering is that some are changing the style of employees' uniforms while others are repainting their aircraft as if these acts alone would solve their problems.

Today, the legacy carriers have drawn a line in the sand and embarked on increasing domestic capacity by 7% to challenge the low-fare point-to-point airlines. That might be too little or too late since the low-fare providers are estimated to increase capacity by 11% or more. The established airlines are again pleading with organized labor for massive wage concessions and work rule changes and repeat history of the early 1980s, when they stemmed the attack from startups. Not much time is left.

Julius Maldutis, Ph.D., is president of Aviation Dynamics Inc. of New York, a transportation consulting firm.

Any legacy carrier operating in domestic and international arenas cannot and must not think it can survive with more than three different aircraft types.

Continental only has 3 types of airplanes? United has the 747, 777, 767, 757, 737 and A320. What and how many types do the other majors have?

Fly said:
Continental only has 3 types of airplanes? United has the 747, 777, 767, 757, 737 and A320. What and how many types do the other majors have?
CO has at least 6 types of aircraft (5 depending on how you split it):

737-classic
737-new generation
MD-80

So what did they mean when they said that "There is a solution, but so far only the current management of Continental seems to have recognized it. The solution is simple, yet requires more than just token approaches. Aircraft fleet simplification, work rule changes and spares elimination comprise the answer. Any legacy carrier operating in domestic and international arenas cannot and must not think it can survive with more than three different aircraft types." ?

If US Airways was just one company, they could operate four different fleet types.

CRJ
EMB (E170/175/190/195)
A320 (A319/320/321)
A330 (A330-200/300)

This would save enormous amounts of money, and streamline operations, training, maintenance, parts and equiptment. It would also allow for great flexibility in scheduling aircraft and crews, as well as yield management. Fleet and operational simplification should be a huge priority.

Fly,

CAL is phasing out the MD-80's - don't quote me but I believe they'll all be gone this year. Once they're gone, they'll be down to 3 basic types - 737 (all versions), 75/76, & 777. I presume the author was talking about common type ratings - there are some differences between the 75 & 76 parts/maintenance wise.

Jim

If there was ever an A320 painted in CO colors, it was a model to sit on someone's desk. The only Airbus ever in CO's fleet was a handful of A300s that they inherited from EA.

Certainly one could argue for a split between the 733/735 and the 73G/738/739, but that same split would apply to WN.

Yes, CO is trying to get rid of the MD80s. IIRC, they were going to get rid of them back in early 2001, to be replaced with 738s, but the recession hit and they put that on the back burner.

BTW, who has ten different types in the fleet? NW seems to come close at seven(DC9, DC10, A319/320, 757, A330, 742, 744) and I'm separating the 742 and 744 because I believe they have different type ratings.

mweiss,

I guess it depends on how you define "fleet". American lists 10 types on their website (which includes Eagel):

American

* Airbus A300-600
* Boeing MD-80(S80)
* Boeing 737-800
* Boeing 757
* Boeing 767
* Boeing 777
* Fokker F-100

American Eagle

* Bombardier Regional Jet CRJ-700
* ERJ-145
* ERJ-140
* ERJ-135
* ATR 72 - Super ATR
* ATR 42
* SAAB 340B

Jim

Agreed. But it sure makes the CO=3 AA=10 argument an apples vs. oranges. I hate it when reporters do that sort of thing. Apples to apples would be CO=4 AA=6. Still makes AA worse on that metric, but not anywhere near the ten listed in the article.

mweiss,

Agreed - why let the facts get in the way of a good story.

Jim

I want to see all USAirways Captains thinking like this retired TWA Captain:

"My Last Glorious Year With Dear Old Twa, REVENGE!"

My last glorious year with TWA
In 1985 Carl Ichan bought TWA with junk bonds, turned it into a junk airline, sold our gates at LHR and all over, etc., swiped $62 Million for his own pockets, and in Dec. 1986, announced a 40% pay cut for pilots. I, and everyone else, knew that was the beginning of the end of TWA.

I already had my 30 years in, reached 55 years, and was eligible for retirement if I gave 12 months notice, so on 1 Jan 1987, I did. I decided that I would excercise my right as pilot in command, IAW TWA Policy manual, to give complimentary liquor to ALL passengers, every trip. I justified it in several ways. Rarely did a trip block out exactly on time, and the Policy manual suggest comp. liquor in such cases. Other occasions were important dates in history, etc.. etc..

I was an L-1011 Capt. flying fairly senior trips, mostly non-stops out of JFK to Seattle and Lisbon, carrying about 300 pax each way, every trip, 4 or 5 trips a month. Every trip that year it was the same. Everybody drank free, and were really happy. I'd get applauses from the cabin after landing. People would shake my hand as they left. A few wanted my schedule of coming trips.

The cabin crew were delighted. Just sign off the liquor slips, no counting empty bottles, inventory, etc., no making change for $100 bills, and all that. I was a HERO!!

In Nov. 1987, there was a note in my crew mail box from our General Manager of Flying, (Chief Pilot) Capt. Wally Moran. "Captain Toner, please see me at your earliest convience."

I went to Wally's office with the note, and he sat me down, and told me he noticed that I gave away $82,000 woth of booze in October. He wondered if this was correct, and if so, WHY!!

I kept my tongue in my cheek, cited Policy Manual, etc.. Then I asked if I may have an ALPA Representative present for the rest of the interview. Wally said that wouldn't be necessary, no disciplanary action was planned.

Then he said "You know Ed, you've been taking a lot of Medical Leave lately. How's your health?" Well as a matter of fact, I had. I noticed in the Policy Manual, that a pilot should not fly within 24 hours of taking certain drugs, and one of them was DRISTAN. When I felt I had a cold, I'd pop a pill, and call in sick. I told Wally this. Silence. He then said, "Well Ed, do you realize you have only 7 months left in your Medical Leave account?"

I said "Seven Months! Cheeze, I'm retiring in two months. I didn't realize I had that much left.".

That was the end of the discussion.

BoeingBoy said:
The 1980s witnessed the creation of 152 airlines. All except one failed.

Unlike the 1980s, when all but one startup failed,
This particular falsehood, repeated twice here, is a classic example of "tell a lie often enough and it becomes the truth".

Unless America West and Midwest (both of which have recently celebrated their 20th anniversaries) have secretly merged and not told anyone...

Kind of makes the rest of the allegedly indisputable "facts" presented appear suspect.

Ahh, good catch. I was thinking of HP, but I forgot that Midwest was also born in the 80s.

mweiss said:
The only Airbus ever in CO's fleet was a handful of A300s that they inherited from EA.
CO obtained their first six A300Bs directly from Airbus, 'pre-owned', in 1986, well before they obtained more from the remains of EA.
Their A300B fleet maxed out at 21 aircraft in the early-to-mid-90s.