Let The Outsourcing Begin!

WingNaPrayer

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
EYW
Visit site
AIRPORT/St. Maarten(PR) --American Airlines will be outsourcing customer service in St. Maarten to an “outside vendorâ€￾ effective March 31, 2005, airline management announced Tuesday. Flights won’t be affected.

The company’s decision was relayed to workers at a meeting held at Sonesta Maho Resort yesterday. Immediately after the meeting workers called this newspaper to express their surprise at the decision and their displeasure at the way the airline intends to deal with them.

In its announcement yesterday, management said the contractor would handle customer service for American Airlines and American Eagle daily flights to and from Miami, New York and San Juan.

“The company is facing an unprecedented financial crisis and continues efforts to lower operational cost without affecting service to our customers,â€￾ said American’s Regional Managing Director in the Caribbean Phil Olivieri Tuesday.

St. Maarten will continue to have daily jet operations to Miami and San Juan, and Super ATR operations from San Juan, while the New York schedule will remain intact. However, these flights will be handled by an outside contractor, Olivieri said in a press statement.

The company will maintain “someâ€￾ management, administrative, security, maintenance and sales positions. “We regret that we had to make this decision affecting our employees. We’ve been a part of St. Maarten for 25 years and this necessary change will allow American to continue its service into this important market,â€￾ Olivieri said.

“Employees who are affected and who are eligible will be offered options within American Airlines and American Eagle, or can choose separation from the company,â€￾ he concluded.

One worker who spoke to The Daily Herald on condition of anonymity said more than 50 workers – many with about 15 years of service and some with 20 to 25 years of service – would be adversely affected by the airline’s decision.

He said workers had left yesterday’s meeting very dissatisfied about the severance pay being offered by the company. Workers with about 15 years’ service stand to receive only about NAf. 8,000 guilders in severance pay, he said.

“You can look out for a big fight with American Airlines over the next five months,â€￾ he added.

He said workers had been taken surprise, for while there had been rumours about the possible outsourcing of the airline’s operations here, dating back to about six months, management had consistently denied that any such plans were afoot.

He said that on one occasion when a senior company official was questioned about the rumour, workers were told that the airline had no such plans, “but you never know.â€￾

He said workers had been told yesterday that those at the airline’s ticketing offices at Le Grande Marché Shopping Centre and in Marigot would be retained.

And, noting that the airline reported Tuesday that it had already briefed the Labour Office about its plans, the source expressed the hope that the government would become involved.

“The government needs to realise that American Airlines needs St. Maarten just as much as St. Maarten needs American Airlines, for St. Maarten is a money-maker for American Airlines and is the airline’s biggest station in the Caribbean after Puerto Rico,â€￾ the source said.

The LCCs are coming to the islands. The low fares already have. AA will do what it has to do to protect its business in the islands. This is surely not the last - on- or offshore.

What a shame this is where they start. Except for SJU its one of the only Caribbean Islands where we have nice agents and security people. On most of the rest they really go out of there way to be rude and obnoxious to crew and customers alike.

Thank you for posting the article Wingnaprayer. Reading that article really bought chills down my spine and also fear although I don't work at the airport but I work at the city ticket counter. I too have been hearing rumurs about it being done here in since my fellow co workers had told me that they had been negotiating with the 'ground handling' companies for years behind our backs and this goes to show that as each day passes the writing on the wall is getting BIGGER AND BIGGER but more serious and important changes are ahead. I feel bad for those who had have been loyal to AA despite the low pay since we are not as well paid as the employees who work with AA in the US and only hang on because of the benefits but to AA every penny counts and I am not surprised that they were not given a good seperation package since AA is trying to be conservative although I don't agree with that. Well for me I will try not to lose any sleep over this although I know that it will be in the back of my mind every time I walk in the office. I will just share this news to my co-workers and warn them to prepare for it. I am already going to University P/t since I know that the airline business is not stable and having more qualifications to your name is very important especially in the C'bean and I am really considering switching my career choice which was to to become an airline manager but after seeing and hearing what is going on with most of the airlines these days I think I should really look at going into another industry.

On another note Ground handling companies may have their benefits and drawbacks. I have heard that they do things that AA would not allow any employee to get away with. On the other hand AA will see the other airlines doing it and see nothing wrong and will quickly follow since AA is the only Airline at the local airport that has their own staff handling the operations. TC

Latest posts