Letter From Afa President

jimntx

Veteran
Jun 28, 2003
Dallas, TX
www.usaviation.com
I got this email from an AA friend who got it from someone at UAL. It will be interesting to see if the bankruptcy court gives UAL mgt what it wants or calls them to account for their failure to live up to their side of the cost-cutting bargain.

Subject: AFA E-lines (April 12, 2005)

AFA E-Lines, Your E-mail Source for Union Information

April 12, 2005 #1

Association of Flight Attendants at United Airlines

IN THIS EDITION:
1. Management Out for Revenge

Last night management filed a motion in the bankruptcy court to reject our entire collective bargaining agreement, not just our pension plan as expected. AFA is issuing the following press release. A letter from MEC President Greg Davidowitch about this latest attack will be sent to you later today.

1. Management Out for Revenge

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

April 12, 2005

United Management, Caught Red-Handed, Now More Interested in Revenge than Restructuring

CHICAGO –The Association of Flight Attendants-CWA (AFA) United Master Executive Council President Greg Davidowitch issued this statement today in response to United Airlines' management's filing yesterday of a bankruptcy court motions to terminate both the Flight Attendants' entire contract and its defined pension benefit plan:

“After having been caught red-handed giving big raises to its Salaried and Management employees while claiming to cut their pay, management's wage cuts and a significant portion of their productivity improvements appeared illusory at best. AFA provided this management with several weeks to fix the problem. In fact, it is only because of AFA’s persistence that any changes were made to their cost savings numbers at all.

"Current United management is attempting to distract attention from its egregious conduct by attacking AFA and the flight attendant contract. Yesterday's actions are outrageous and an unwarranted retribution for AFA's due diligence in verifying that the cuts imposed on other employees are as real as those for the flight attendants. We are doing nothing more or less than holding management accountable for its own plan to produce the cost savings it claims are necessary for securing exit financing to emerge from bankruptcy. Management has over-stepped all bounds of decency and the standards of labor relations by seeking to reject our entire agreement.

"Rather than simply fixing their phony numbers regarding the cost savings they allocated to the Salaried and Management group, and agreeing to abide by the same standards that they demand from flight attendants, these executives chose to place the Flight Attendant agreement for $131 million in cost savings in jeopardy.

"A motion to terminate the flight attendants' pension plan by itself would have been a deplorable act. This management has gone further and appears to be wholly focused on creating a labor war rather than working for the success of United Airlines.

"In good faith, flight attendants agreed to shoulder the burden of enormous personal sacrifices last January. Instead of respecting those contributions, Glenn Tilton has insulated his own pension from the effects of bankruptcy, and, together with other executives, he continues to receive millions of dollars in bonuses from United Airlines while it's in Chapter 11. We must wonder whether these executives can follow through on their own commitments to the airline.

"Unfortunately, our own audit of their plan to implement cost savings suggests that they cannot. And that calls into question whether these executives are capable of completing the airline’s restructuring. Flight attendants have worked too hard and sacrificed too much. We intend to use every means available to save our airline and fight for our careers."

More than 46,000 Flight Attendants, including the 21,000 Flight Attendants at United, join together to form AFA, the world’s largest Flight Attendant union. AFA is part of the 700,000 member strong Communications Workers of America, AFL-CIO. Visit us at www.unitedafa.org.

***END***

AFA E-Lines is an e-mail news publication for United Airlines Flight Attendants.

Our MEC Communication Committee produced this newsletter.

jimntx said:
It will be interesting to see if the bankruptcy court gives UAL mgt what it wants or calls them to account for their failure to live up to their side of the cost-cutting bargain.

Ah yea - you mean alleged failure. Last I checked this was just an allegation with no hard facts to back it up (at least released to the press for you to use as a basis to be so certain). Just another case of the chest thumping prior to a tentative agreement. Remember "jilTED", etc. Ah yea those alleged failures were proven completely false by an independent auditor.

UnitedChicago said:
jimntx said:
It will be interesting to see if the bankruptcy court gives UAL mgt what it wants or calls them to account for their failure to live up to their side of the cost-cutting bargain.

Ah yea - you mean alleged failure. Last I checked this was just an allegation with no hard facts to back it up (at least released to the press for you to use as a basis to be so certain). Just another case of the chest thumping prior to a tentative agreement. Remember "jilTED", etc. Ah yea those alleged failures were proven completely false by an independent auditor.
[post="262736"][/post]​

As I understand the current conflict, part of the latest agreement between AFA and the company was that AFA could engage an independent auditor to review the company's cost-cutting efforts in management. When it came time for the auditor to actually look at the books, the company changed its mind and told the AFA that they would "just have to trust us" and refused the auditor access to the appropriate documents. So, according to the AFA, they have no idea whether the company upheld its end of the cost-cutting bargain or not, but since the company refuses to allow anyone to look at the books, the assumption is not.

At the same time, there has been quite a bit of posting on this BB and others regarding substantial bonusses awarded to executive and management types recently. I have no idea if this is true, but for the time being, I'm going with the old adage, "Where there's smoke, there's fire."

UnitedChicago said:
None of what you replied with is backed-up by any shred of proof. It's all allegation and/or rumor.

Not to mention you work for AA. Mind your own business.
[post="262810"][/post]​

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

UnitedChicago.

Quote: "Mind your own business" !!

UC, your remark to jimntx, was RUDe, and uncalled for !!!!!!!!!

This BB is EVERY members business, so long as they respect the rules set down by the moderators.

You OWE jimntx an APOLOGY !!!!!!!!!!!

NH/BB's

NewHampshire Black Bears said:
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

UnitedChicago.

Quote: "Mind your own business" !!

UC, your remark to jimntx, was RUDe, and uncalled for !!!!!!!!!

This BB is EVERY members business, so long as they respect the rules set down by the moderators.

You OWE jimntx an APOLOGY !!!!!!!!!!!

NH/BB's
[post="262812"][/post]​

JMHO,
No one owes anyone an apology on these BB's.
We speak our minds (or agendas) and retort in kind.
I have been accused of being rude (occasionally :p ) myself but take no offense as we are just human beings communicating on the ether.

But hey, what do I know......... :D

Take Care,
B) UT

I know everyone in this industry is suffering and you all have my respect for what you're dealing with. With that said - none of what I've posted in this thread has been disrespectful.

I just don't know what or whom it serves to stoke the fires on a very hot button topic with nothing more than allegation and/or rumor. Especially when the person who created this thread doesn't work for United.

Hence - once again - mind your own airline's business.

The AFA does have substantial documentation that they will be presenting at the hearing in May to rebut the company's position.

I understand that the company's figures and the AFA's don't square. It has nothing to do with assumptions made by AFA, Jim, regarding the company supposedly not turning over documents. AFA isn't taking their position without hard evidence. At this point it's not public.

We shall see what the judge says.

Jim in TX:

As a United F/A currently on voluntary furlough, I appreciate the fact that you started this topic and want to let you know that the views of UnitedChicago do not represent the views of the collective here at UA.

I have read your many well-thought-out and insightful posts on the numerous airline message boards on this forum and appreciate your input.

As far as I am concerned, this is a public forum, so you're welcome here anytime.

Best,

Jamake

United Chicago :down: :down:

So when are you people gonna stop talking and start STRIKING! All I hear is "The company didn't do what they said they would do,whaaa,whaaa,whaaa!". What a big suprise! Until someone, somewhere walks off the job these management crooks will continue to break the rules and get away with it!

PRINCESS KIDAGAKASH said:
So when are you people gonna stop talking and start STRIKING! All I hear is "The company didn't do what they said they would do,whaaa,whaaa,whaaa!". What a big suprise! Until someone, somewhere walks off the job these management crooks will continue to break the rules and get away with it!
[post="262858"][/post]​

you first

You all can (and do) post to your heart's content.

ALL I'm saying is that it's MY opinion that the AFA has a history of saber rattling during contract negotiations.

I personally feel that your leadership lost a lot of credibility when it was proven through an independent auditor that the accusations of being misled during the early retirement agreement last year were FALSE.

All the dust kicked up with the jilTED campaign was a waste of time and added unnecessary acrimony to a fragile work force.

Just my 2 cents. This issue may be valid - but we won't know until an independent auditor has reviewed all there is to review.

Happy posting.

P.S. Had a lovely flight home from LA last week. We were 3 hours lates leaving (don't get me started), but the crew was amazing.

I'm in the process of changing my way of living. Ua kicking us in the a** was the fuel I needed to make my change. It will be for the better for me. I don't feel that this company will make the proper turn and if they do it will take years to dig out of the mess that has been made.

I plan to continue working in the short term. I will not be the loyal employee I once was. I will use everything to my benefit ie, sick leave, fmla, vacation, gwop and trades to benefit me in whatever way I can. I am NOT going to give this company anything extra for the time I am here.

Management has demonstrated that they cannot run this company. At every turn they say we have to have this cut in order to get out of BK. Now they want the pensions and probably more of my wages, in order to get out of BK.

The trouble is, this will not get the company profitable again. They have cried wolf too many times. They have shown no pan for bk exit, because they have no plan. Everytime you read an article in the paper about pensions, thewy always go on to say that pensions will be replaced with less costly 401K's that the company will make contributions to. BS. The company has no plan for this either, management has spent and robbed this company blind.

The next few months will be interesting. The way this thing is turning out is enormous and will have huge consequenses for everyone - even management, as it may not turn out the way they predict. The pbgc may have a huge claim on ua, one that may force liquidation. How could a lending institution loan money to a company with a judgement on it?