Letter from Doug Parker

Fixed Wing

Senior
Jun 19, 2004
Doug really is quick to defend the Company....I like his style. I especially like his comments about arriving into JFK late with a TV.

To: US Employees (especially to our Charlotte-based team):
In announcing JetBlue's intention to add a handful of regional jet flights from JFK to Charlotte and Raleigh-Durham yesterday, JetBlue CEO David Neeleman made the following comment "Charlotte and Raleigh-Durham have natural ties to New York, but until now, the people of North Carolina have overpaid for sub-standard service."  As US Airways is the largest provider of service from Charlotte to New York, we can assume that at least some of Mr. Neeleman's remarks were targeted at us. A number of you were upset by these remarks so I thought I should share my views with you.
First, I know David pretty well and I can assure you he is a genuinely good person. That he chose to make such a remark is probably indicative of the stress that JetBlue is under and we should not take his remarks personally. JetBlue is experiencing a relative profitability decline that is unprecedented in our industry. It is probably very hard for them to hear that US Airways (who they'd counted on being gone by now) is expecting to be profitable in 2006 (excluding transition related expenses), while they have disclosed that they expect to be unprofitable.
Their problems are serious and structural: 1) they have a low cost structure that is driven primarily by a low average age (low seniority employees, low maintenance on new airplanes for three years, etc.); 2) to maintain a low average age, they must grow; and 3) there are no more growth markets in our industry (which is where our survival really hurt them). And, their problems are well appreciated by the financial markets. Since our merger, US Airways stock has appreciated over 100%, while JetBlue is down about 20%. It doesn't appear that our customers are overpaying; rather it appears that passengers aren't willing to pay JetBlue enough for them to be profitable.
Some of this is likely due to their own service. While US Airways has been the leading on-time major airline since our merger, JetBlue has been among the worst! To characterize arriving late in JFK with a TV in front of you as better service than being on-time in LGA with a first class cabin, an award-winning frequent flyer program, business clubs and a global alliance, suggests that JetBlue may be looking at the wrong service standards.
The fact of the matter is JetBlue is struggling mightily and the hard working employees of US Airways are a big reason why. Rather than get upset by their comments we should keep them in context.
US Airways is going to be here long after JetBlue -- that was not their plan and they are trying to figure out what to do about it.
We, on the other hand, know what to do -- we will compete aggressively, we will focus on running our own race and we will win. Thanks so much for taking care of our customers and please keep it up.
Sincerely,

Doug

Finally a CEO with BALLS!! Way to go, Doug, you make my generation proud. JB has blindsided the public for too long and FINALLY someone is calling them out. A STUPID BOX will only get you so far!! But your typical American IS stupid!!!!! :shock:

If you hadn't noticed JetBlue has kicked US' butt all over NY.

700 UW

That is an unfair assessment. Your average American is as ignorant about flying as they are about the support of the #### in the White House. They will believe ANYTHING told to them. The SWEETHEART days are over and JBlue is in deep doo-doo. Direct TV will only get you so far!!

700. you know people get really tired of you putting anything that usairways does that's positive down. why do you work for us if you hate it so much? i mean no disrespect my friend, but it gets really really old. have a nice day.

Look at the NY markets, B6 has chased US Mainline from Upstate NY.

NY-FL is owned by B6, we ran and hide once again.

Look at the market shares.

....we ran and hide once again.

700, this is the first time I can remember one of our CEO's standing up for his airline, and especially his employees. You are correct on the history of U in NY...but it just that..history. We cannot simply brush the mistakes of the past under the rug, but we can sure as heck savor such a great comeback. Take care. Greeter

Does US still run upsate NY to FL nonstop any more? I remember when US ran from places like BUF, ROC, ALB to places such as FLL. Dont know if any others were in it. But 700 is actually right because JB does own the market share from upstate NY to FL but for now anyways.

But I will say that is an excellent comment that our ceo made and I hope that JB eats it because if not then they may not be long for this world

Jet Blue in many ways has gotten by with Smoke & Mirrors with brand new A/C and low wage, low seniority employees. Now that they have to actually fix & maintain the planes and give things like raises the ballgame changes.

But this kind of response is long overdue and is far better than Siegel's "They're coming to kill us" speech.

For those who haven't been around, DP has been saying JB will eventually have to pay the piper since 2002. Their business plan is built on growth and is fragile. The low seniority and new aircraft eventually need more attention. Time has come...JB is on more of a level playing field and will take some brains not just growth to survive.

IMO DP is a very good communicator and has what it takes to make this a great airline. Just hope he remembers to take care of his people. Some folks have posted personal experiences that would indicate he truly isn't a "people" person. Perhaps it's true, but I have several personal experiences I saw first hand that tells me otherwise. A personal experience is not koolaide drinking...at least in my book.

....we ran and hide once again.

700, this is the first time I can remember one of our CEO's standing up for his airline, and especially his employees. You are correct on the history of U in NY...but it just that..history.

New Sheriff in town...that's all that needs to be said ;)

Hey 700, how much do you charge to haunt a house?

As for the statement, hats off to Doug!

Jet Blue has always been a case of history repeating itself.

Does US still run upsate NY to FL nonstop any more? I remember when US ran from places like BUF, ROC, ALB to places such as FLL. Dont know if any others were in it. But 700 is actually right because JB does own the market share from upstate NY to FL but for now anyways.

US never ran NS to FLL out of anywhere in upstate. Saturday only we fly NS BUF to MCO and I assume out of the other 3 as well. When Metrojet was around, we had 2 daily NS to MCO for awhile. Mainline pulled out of the upstate to NY market because fares were low and the a/c could be utilized more profitably elsewhere.

If you hadn't noticed JetBlue has kicked US' butt all over NY.

No disrespect intended 700UW but yes B6 has kicked US's butt between NYC-Florida, probably one of the lowest yield markets in the world ! So US rentreched, and while B6 was busy adding flights between NY and FLA, US was busy redeploying those aircraft to profitble Carribean Markets where the average fares start at say $600 rt and most more, while B6 gets our old $79 passengers, yeah they really kicked US's butt. And as far as NYC-Upstate NY yes B6 flies nicer aircraft than US's ERJ-145's, Dash 8's and Saab 340's I agree but come hang out in the Express boarding area's at LGA on a weeknight and watch all those FULL Express flights heading north with most passengers wearing suites and with the difference in fares a full Dash 8 may have more yield than a 3/4 or 1/2 full 320 ! Yeah B6 really kicked US's butt in NY, but it's all in your prespective !

Oh my take on the Parker letter, "BRILLIANT"

Respectfully

LGA777

Is kind of a nice change to have a CEO like Parker with some "Balls". If it were some of the prior U CEO's the statement would have been "we need more $$ from the employees" Hopefully we will stand and fight!!! :up: