LGA and DCA flight cuts due to slot sale

700UW

Corn Field
Nov 11, 2003
NC
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/american-airlines-implement-network-changes-204200215.html

DCA cuts:
Communities no longer receiving year-round, daily service include:

Augusta, Ga.
Detroit, Mich.
Fayetteville, N.C.
Fort Walton Beach, Fla.
Islip, N.Y.
Jacksonville, N.C.

Little Rock, Ark.
Minneapolis, Minn.
Montreal
Myrtle Beach, S.C.
Nassau, Bahamas
Omaha, Neb.

Pensacola, Fla.
San Diego, Calif.
Savannah, Ga.
Tallahassee, Fla.
Wilmington, N.C.

LGA cuts:

As a result of the DOJ-required 17 slot pair divestitures at LGA, American will no longer operate nonstop service to Atlanta, Cleveland and Minneapolis. However, changes to the schedule made possible by the combined network of American and US Airways will provide opportunities for new service to 10 communities. 

New service from LGA includes:

Charlottesville, Va.

Little Rock, Ark.

Roanoke, Va.

Dayton, Ohio

Louisville, Ky.

Wilmington, N.C.

Greensboro, N.C.

Norfolk, Va.

Knoxville, Tenn.

Richmond, Va.

AA flights to ATL and MSP are all AE (or other regional) rjs.  DL has more flights and all on mainline except one or two.  Which one would you pick for flights of that length?

I checked the loads on AE LGA-ATL on non-rev app for tomorrow.  8 rjs, only the last one of the day was full.  Why waste resources on "competition" if you are not going to provide comparable equipment/amenities/etc?

Why wouldnt it?

CLT is PMUS' largest hub.

Huge financial market travel.

The AA rjs from lga-clt will more than likely be cut.

11 flights.

Its a big business market, as a matter of fact, US has been increasing CLT-JFK flights over the past few years.

LGA-CLT is the fifth busiest market.

1. ORD: 1,322,000

2. ATL: 1,137,000

3. FLL:  719,000

4. MIA: 717,000

5. CLT: 705,000

6. DFW: 700,000

7. DEN:  511,000

8. DTW: 467,000

9. MCO:  458,000

10. DCA: 447,000

These numbers are from October of 2012 to September of 2013.

Reactions: 2 people
700UW said:
However, changes to the schedule made possible by the combined network of American and US Airways will provide opportunities for new service to 10 communities. 

New service from LGA includes:
Charlottesville, Va.
Little Rock, Ark.
Roanoke, Va.
Dayton, Ohio
Louisville, Ky.
Wilmington, N.C.
Greensboro, N.C.
Norfolk, Va. 
Knoxville, Tenn.
Richmond, Va.

Anyone know frequency and equipment type to be used on these routes? If frequency is only one or two a day I hope they use larger aircraft.   

US flies a mix of A321s, A319s, CRJ900, EMB175, and the majority of the flights are on A321s.

And the 10 new cities are probably from the slots that AA has for its CLT-LGA flights and others.

I am surprised ISP got cut. It was convenient and almost always full, at relatively high fares. I don't recall getting fares below $250 round trip in the last year or so. I know 50 seaters have higher CASM, but I would think that this route would stay, or perhaps be up gauged and reduced in frequency from a peak of 3 a day to 2. 

I do hope they replace ISP-DCA with service to CLT or ORD....I'd use it every week...PHL is just too unreliable with the Dash 8s...I have heard that the flights operate late most of the time...even more so than when I frequented them.

My BEST to you all...

Reactions: 1 person
Art at ISP said:
I am surprised ISP got cut. It was convenient and almost always full, at relatively high fares. I don't recall getting fares below $250 round trip in the last year or so. I know 50 seaters have higher CASM, but I would think that this route would stay, or perhaps be up gauged and reduced in frequency from a peak of 3 a day to 2. 

I do hope they replace ISP-DCA with service to CLT or ORD....I'd use it every week...PHL is just too unreliable with the Dash 8s...I have heard that the flights operate late most of the time...even more so than when I frequented them.

My BEST to you all...
Good to hear from you Art, the Dash's are slowly fading from the fleet. Four frames gone last year and two more will go this year. I never understood why AA left and US just offers token service at ISP.
It may be that WN is too much of a formidable competitor but ISP is a very easy airport to use compared to LGA or EWR. The merger may convince the new AA to take another look at ISP.

Thanks Dash,

Since WN got LGA they have expanded there and reduced ISP accordingly. I'd assume this logic is also at play with US dropping ISP-DCA as they probably want to force people to use The shuttle, but I'm not sure that will work.

In any event WN is down to less than half the flights they had at their peak, and even dropped ISP-MDW which was a popular route. I think an E175 to ORD or CLT would work now, as there really needs to be a legacy operating out of ISP. The airport is like a ghost town lately.

Hope you are well.