LGA Delays

BCDurbin

Sep 15, 2004
Alright, I've finally had it with "flow control" into LGA! will somebody please explain to me why I call for clearance and get a 2 1/2 hr. delay back to LGA? And then get a call back 10 minutes later telling me I have a wheels up time in 7 minutes?
I'd rather hold for 30 minutes than tell people at the gate that we have a delay, that I, nor the gate agent can explain in 5 words or less!

Same thing happened to us last week. Given an hour and a half delay. After twenty minutes at the gate they say we're released...hurry hurry hurry! Have us bypass other aircraft on the taxiway and back taxi into position for takeoff.

Who the heck is running that show anyway????

A320 Driver :down:

Not sure if it is true or not, but I thought I remembered on tour through OCC, that there was an ATC desk which was dedicated to dealing with flow control and such. At which it was explained that this desk would barter or trade slot times or wheels up times with different flights depending on a number of certain circumstances, etc. Hence you might originally have a 2 hour delay, then it gets swapped with another flight or something??? Dunno if this is how it works, someone else could prob. explain it better.....

Not sure if it is true or not, but I thought I remembered on tour through OCC, that there was an ATC desk which was dedicated to dealing with flow control and such. At which it was explained that this desk would barter or trade slot times or wheels up times with different flights depending on a number of certain circumstances, etc. Hence you might originally have a 2 hour delay, then it gets swapped with another flight or something??? Dunno if this is how it works, someone else could prob. explain it better.....
I herd this was how it was setup to. With all of the deferent express carriers I see some getting screw more that others. There is a flow chart in saber that is pretty accurate .I go by this info when telling the passengers what is going on. A lot of times the express crew will not board and go out and wait for an early slot????????? We always hope to get a body part and file lifeguard. Always a way to get a good slot time.

I herd this was how it was setup to. With all of the deferent express carriers I see some getting screw more that others. There is a flow chart in saber that is pretty accurate .I go by this info when telling the passengers what is going on. A lot of times the express crew will not board and go out and wait for an early slot????????? We always hope to get a body part and file lifeguard. Always a way to get a good slot time.
Basically true the delays can and will be slotted after the initial delays are routed. So one minute it could be two hours and the next 20 minutes. Even the commuter slots can be adjusted depending on priorities such as International connections and crew time.

Basically true the delays can and will be slotted after the initial delays are routed. So one minute it could be two hours and the next 20 minutes. Even the commuter slots can be adjusted depending on priorities such as International connections and crew time.
First, What's OCC? Second, if flow control comes from ATC how can times be adjusted based on connections and crew time? That has nothing to do with ATC.

First, What's OCC? Second, if flow control comes from ATC how can times be adjusted based on connections and crew time? That has nothing to do with ATC.

Operations Control Center (OCC) is the ops nerve center for USAirways. It's not like at most regional airlines, where there are a couple of dispatchers and crew schedulers who are underpaid, overworked and inexperienced.

OCC in PIT is pretty amazing. There are people in OCC who's primary job is to work with Central Flow...(flow control and wheels up times)

When Central Flow institutes a program (every day) OCC works with Central Flow to try and keep everything running semi smoothly. OCC may swap out one flight's slot time for one that may need to get to the destination for what-ever reason..(international connections, mx, crew times, anything really)

It's a lot of wheeling and dealing and OCC does an excellent job with it. The Shuttle is a prime example of the wheeling and dealing.

Since the commuter slots are low on the priority list, they usually receive the short end of the stick. (most flow)

So in a nutshell, OCC can persuade ATC to adjust flow times due to anything OCC deems neccessary.

And on an added note, the envasion of the RJ's over the past several years to the North East's airspace has caused the flow problems. 10 years ago, flow control programs went into effect for wx, not for traffic. Too many airplanes in the sky!

Some senator from NY about 4 yesrs ago allow a bunch of RJ’s to flight in and out of LGA with out slots

Latest posts