LIFE AS A PILOT

2BorNot2B

Senior
Jul 6, 2005
....saw this on the "other" B.B.

"Life as a Pilot"

22 years old: Graduated from college. Go to military flight school. Become hot shot fighter pilot. Get married.

25 years old : Have 1st kid. Now hotshot fighter jock getting shot at in war. Just want to get back to USA in one piece. Get back to USA as primary flight instructor pilot. Get bored. Volunteer for war again.

29 years old: Get back from war all tuckered out. Wants out of military.

30 years old: Join airline. World is your oyster.

31 years old: Buy flashy car, house and lots of toys. Get over the military poverty feeling.

32 years old: Divorce boring 1st wife. Pay child support and maintenance. Drink lots of booze and screw around while looking for 2nd wife.

33 years old: Furloughed. Join military reserve unit and fly for fun. Repeat above for a few more years.

35 years old: Airline recall. More screw ing around but looking forward to a good marriage and settling down.

36 years old: Marry young spunky 25 year old flight attendant.

37 years old: Buy another house. Gave first one to first wife.

38 years old: Give in to second wife to have more kids. Father again. Wife concerned about "risky" military Reserve flying so you resign commission.

39 years old: Now a captain. Hooray! Upgrade house, buy boat, small single engine airplane and even flashier cars.

42 years old: 2nd wife runs off with wealthy investment banker but still wants to share house (100%).

43 years old: Settle with wife # 2 and resolve to stay away from women forever. Seek a position as a check Captain for 10% pay override to pay mounting bills. Move into 1 bedroom apartment with window air conditioners.

44 years old: Company resizes and you're returned to copilot st atus. 25% pay cut. Become simulator instructor for 10% ove rride pay.

49 years old: Captain again. Move into 2-bedroom luxury apartment with central air conditioning.

50 years old: Meet sexy Danish model on International trip. She loves you and says you are very "beeeeg!"

51 years old: Marry sexy Danish model for wife #3. Buy big house, boat, twin engine airplane and upgrade cars.

52 years old: Sexy model wants kids (not again). Resolve to get vasectomy.

54 years old: Try to talk wife out of kids, but presto, she's pregnant. She says she got sick after taking the pill. Accident, sorry, won't happen again.

55 years old: Father of triplets.

56 years old: Wife #3 wants very big house, bigger boat and very flashy cars, "worried" about your private flying and wants you to sell twin engine airplane. You give in. You buy a motorcycle and join motorcycle club.

57 years old: Make rash investments to try and have enough money for retirement.

59 years old: Lose money on rash investment and get audited by the IRS. You have to fly 100% International night trips just to keep up with child support and alimony to wife #1 and #2.

60 years old: Wife #3 (sexy model) says you're too damned old and no fun. She leaves. She takes most of your assets. You're forced to retire due to Age 60 rule. No money left.

61 years old: Now Captain on a non-schedule South American 727 freight outfit and living in a non-air conditioned studio apartment directly underneath the final approach to ru nway 9 at Miami Int'l. You have "interesting" Hispanic neighbors who ask you if you've ever flown DC-3's.

65 years old: Lose FAA medical and get job as sim instructor. Don't look forward to years of getting up at 2 AM for 3 AM sim in every god-forsaken town you train in due to the fact your carrier ca n find cheap, off-hours sim time at various Brand X Airlines.

70 years old: Hotel alarm clock set by previous FedEx crewmember goes off at 1:00 AM. Have heart attack and die with smile on face. Happy at last!

Ain't aviation great? :unsure:

You forgot the part about the wife finding out that you have a "girlfriend" or three and vows to take you to the cleaners.
This story is not the exception, but very commonplace. The funny? thing is the airline knows this...and says here are the keys to the 767, have fun!!!!

If it was supposed to be funny I laughed :lol:

Yes Piney ... it is "funny", especially to those that have "been there, done that".

Why the sarcasm??

2B

This story is not the exception, but very commonplace. The funny? thing is the airline knows this...and says here are the keys to the 767, have fun!!!!

and where might that "Girlfriend" most likely work??? :rolleyes:

Yes Piney ... it is "funny", especially to those that have "been there, done that".

Why the sarcasm??
Because in Piney's world, no one is allowed to complain (especially airline employees), except him (and he is allowed to complain about EVERYthing).

We all make choices my friend and some suck.
Promise to keep that in mind next time you fly LCC and find something to complain about?

After the week of March 12 I'm flying someone else for the remainder of March. So I won't be doing much complaining about US Airways.
Really? No more complaints about USAirways for the rest of the month?

I would bet a large amount of money you are simply not capable of that.

Really? No more complaints about USAirways for the rest of the month?

I would bet a large amount of money you are simply not capable of that.

Amazing.

Collectively.

You have, potentially, a marvelous tool to correct and fine-tune an operation. Piney provides an excellent service to you all, yet, you want to shut him down.

Perhaps the reason you respond in such a manner is that you know Piney is right and correct. It bothers you that what he "complains" about is true and you give in to the temptation to shoot the messenger.

You can change your company. There are many ways to do it, change through the union is but one of many avenues. Sitting here wanting to hear no negatives is to group masturbate.

You have no excuses. Write letters. Attend meetings. Ask the hard questions and accept no BS for answers. For many, this company is their life. If so, then make it a part of your active life. Instead of sticking your fingers in your ears or your head in the sand, listen to the complainers and use their criticisms to make USAir the best.

You have a priceless gift in those who point out failures. Make them successes. Turn those lemons into lemonade.

Thank you Bob.

Sorry!! Wasn't trying to be sarcastic. I wasn't sure if it was true or not at first and I was wondering if I was supposed to laugh. I've heard stories along those lines, so I wasn't sure.

No problem! Just thought someone like yourself, well traveled, knew this is indeed a valid "picture", for lack of a better description, of the Aviation Life (not just Airlines, btw)!

What it boils down to, in Pilot talk, is that it is a "Joystick" problem that Logbook entries cannot fix!

:lol:

2B

Perhaps the reason you respond in such a manner is that you know Piney is right and correct. It bothers you that what he "complains" about is true and you give in to the temptation to shoot the messenger.
I have never disputed that what he says is true.

I just don't understand why he continues to give his business to a company that clearly is not up to his standards.

You have no excuses. Write letters. Attend meetings. Ask the hard questions and accept no BS for answers. For many, this company is their life. If so, then make it a part of your active life. Instead of sticking your fingers in your ears or your head in the sand, listen to the complainers and use their criticisms to make USAir the best.

You have a priceless gift in those who point out failures. Make them successes. Turn those lemons into lemonade.

You can change your company. There are many ways to do it, change through the union is but one of many avenues. Sitting here wanting to hear no negatives is to group masturbate.
???

I do not work for USAirways.

Well Bear I really don't give a rat's arse what you think. Go ahead pick a dollar figure and include your e-mail so I can send you the Itinerarys for 3/19 & 3/26.
Why would I care about your itineraries?

Amazing.

Collectively.

You have, potentially, a marvelous tool to correct and fine-tune an operation. Piney provides an excellent service to you all, yet, you want to shut him down.

Bravo!! Excellent writing and right on target! Unfortunately tho, the wrong target! The real target for his comments should, and must be, Management! The folks that post and respond here are the Workers that are not given the tools to provide the level of service that was once associated with USAir and it's predecessors. They come home from work every day suffering from the dramatic changes in their workplace since the demise of a once proud Carrier, now LCC ... "Low Class Carrier"!! That hurts such dedicated Workers, and it is unfair to take it out on them!

That is my opinion .... for whatever that is worth!

2B

2bor,
It sticks out that your not a pilot, but even still, why make that kind of a post on this lonely hart web sight?
Nobody takes what's on this sight real serious, but why trash a pilot, who at the end of the day, does his best?

2bor,
It sticks out that your not a pilot, but even still, why make that kind of a post on this lonely hart web sight?
Nobody takes what's on this sight real serious, but why trash a pilot, who at the end of the day, does his best?

Sorry ... but that is not "Trashing"! Read all the posts before you come to such a conclusion!

And with a little over 22,000 hours in the Cockpit, I feel qualified to post!

Maybe this is an insight into the life of a Pilot you never new existed! Yes, it is humorous to those that are knowledgeable ...

2B

Latest posts