Lightning Strikes PDT Flight - Diverts to ISP

Art at ISP

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
Dix Hills NY
www.ffocus.org
A Piedmont Dash 8 en route to New Haven was struck by lightning this afternoon, causing the pilot to decide to divert to Long Island MacArthur Airport (ISP) as a precaution. Correct me if I am wrong but aren't aircraft designed to withstand lightning strikes with little or minimal effect? I know it's scary - I was once on an L1011 which was struck by lightning - a bright flash and a LOUD clap of thunder.

Thankfully all are safe, and I don't think there is any or much damage to the aircraft. As usual, Newsday, our local carrier, gets the aircraft type wrong (headline says jet)---

Oh and Happy New Year y'all....

http://www.newsday.com/long-island/suffolk/lightning-strike-jet-lands-at-mcarthur-1.2593999

Yes Art aircraft are designed to withstand lighting strikes but Im guessing by the article that they experienced some electrical issues and out of abundance of caution put it down at ISP

Yes Art aircraft are designed to withstand lighting strikes but Im guessing by the article that they experienced some electrical issues and out of abundance of caution put it down at ISP

Especially the mighty Dash-8 JET addition! You have to love the media.

Art, I was on a plane with a lightning strike when I was younger. We had to land because it caused issues with communication and they were concerned it may have caused other issues. I think it was a 727. Boy, that was a ways back. Guess it is always best to err on the side of caution though. Must of woke some folks up!

I have no doubt it woke up some folks...and I completely understand the cautionary landing.

Yes you caught the JET remark by the newspaper....

I had assumed that there were some electrical anomolies on the aircraft which would cause the crew to divert...just some interesting news for my home airport...other than some intl diversions during the blizzard...I saw a photo of a US 767 at ISP that weekend!

Fly safe y'all...

I have no doubt it woke up some folks...and I completely understand the cautionary landing.

Yes you caught the JET remark by the newspaper....

I had assumed that there were some electrical anomolies on the aircraft which would cause the crew to divert...just some interesting news for my home airport...other than some intl diversions during the blizzard...I saw a photo of a US 767 at ISP that weekend!

Fly safe y'all...

Hi Art,

Where did you see this picture? I would love to have a look.

ISP