Line Maintenance Not Enthusiastic!

Hopeful

Veteran
Dec 21, 2002
AA mechanics blast new productivity goals
By D.R. STEWART World Staff Writer
9/9/2006

View in Print (PDF) Format

Days after company and union leaders announced new productivity goals at American Airlines' line maintenance stations nationwide, mechanics from San Diego to New York denounced the proposals and their union.

"The general consensus is that we have given you more than enough over the last three years -- $320 million, which equates to $100,000 per mechanic over six years -- to save the company from bankruptcy," said Chuck Schalk, a mechanic at John F. Kennedy International Airport in New York.

"Where's the shared sacrifices? If the executives of this company and the officers of this union are unwilling to make those same sacrifices, don't come around preaching to me about sacrifices."

On Wednesday, representatives of American and its Transport Workers Union (TWU) announced that mechanics at line maintenance stations, which perform light or overnight maintenance, will try to achieve $95 million in annual cost savings or third-party maintenance work by the end of 2008.

Company executives said the productivity gains are necessary to offset high fuel prices and the competitive pressures of low-cost airlines. Similar goals have been set for American's three maintenance bases in Tulsa, Kansas City and Fort Worth.

But line mechanics, who generally live in cities with higher costs of living than Tulsa's, said they are struggling to pay their bills after 2003 wage and benefit concessions that took a bigger bite out of their standard of living than those imposed on mechanics in Tulsa.

"You can't squeeze anymore out of a rock," said Ken MacTiernan, a line mechanic in San Diego.

American's unionized mechanics, pilots and flight attendants agreed in 2003 to $1.8 billion in wage and benefit concessions over six years to avert a bankruptcy filing. Ameri can has lost more than $8 billion since 2001.

For the average mechanic, the concessions amounted to a 17.5 percent wage cut, loss of premium and overtime pay and vacation days.

In Tulsa, 6,000 TWU mechanics work at American's Maintenance & Engineering Center, the world's largest aircraft maintenance base.

Line mechanics claim their smaller numbers -- 350 American mechanics work at JFK -- are dwarfed by the TWU's strength in Tulsa, where decisions are made for mechanics companywide.

"Tell me what it would like to live on $20,000 a year in Tulsa, which is what it's like for us in New York," said Bob Owens, an American mechanic at JFK.

According to a cost-of-living calculator for the Bureau of Labor Statistics, a person making $40,000 a year in Tulsa would need $64,954 in New York to maintain the same standard of living; $58,908 in Dallas; $64,127 in Miami; $71,179 in San Diego; $78,043 in Boston; $80,293 in Los Angeles; $82,704 in Chicago and $110,489 in San Francisco.

At the same time American executives and union leaders are asking for more productivity for less pay, American executives are receiving pay increases, mechanics said.

Last month, American Chairman and CEO Gerard Arpey received a 23 percent salary increase, to $650,000. Arpey said several other executives received benefits related to stock-based compensation.

The salary increases and bonuses were disclosed in the wake of American's second quarter earnings of $291 million, its best second quarter performance in eight years.

"These latest (line station) proposals are pretty disturbing because the company collaborated with our union to come up with the $95 million goal at the same time they handed out millions in bonuses to executives," said Russ Dittmer, an 18-year American mechanic in Chicago.

"I'm willing to give concessions, but I expect to get something back if the company becomes profitable. The bonuses they offered us were a pittance and a slap in the face compared with the executive bonuses."

Increasingly, line mechanics believe the concessions they agreed to three years ago will be permanent and that more pay and benefit cuts may be on the horizon.

American spokesman John Hotard said he has heard nothing about the concessions becoming permanent. The increased productivity goals are necessary due to industry conditions, he said.

"The TWU and the company are involved in a joint effort," Hotard said. "The TWU understands the competitive position American Airlines is

Gee, all of the perpetually bitter coming together for a news article. That's gotta be fair and balanced journalism at its best.

Anyone want to confirm or deny that the writer (Don Stewart) is any relation to the former AMFA organizer David Stewart?....

Gee, all of the perpetually bitter coming together for a news article. That's gotta be fair and balanced journalism at its best.

Anyone want to confirm or deny that the writer (Don Stewart) is any relation to the former AMFA organizer David Stewart?....
No just telling it like it is, and the silent majority is 100% in agreement with them.

BTW...Don Stewart is not related, and there are 152 Stewarts in the Tulsa phonebook.

I know management is just pissed that Tulsa World allowed for a non bootlicking news story to be released. It's nice to see finally an article in Tulsa World that wasn't written for them, now if only the Fort Worth Star Telegram would do that.

FM, where do you find "perpetually bitter" in this article. Did you read a different story? I read the previous article written by Mr. Stewart and called him to see if he talked to anyone else other than those he was allowed to speak with. He informed me that he tried to talk to others but now he must make an appointment with the Local President/Base Management and then is only allowed to speak with those the company/union let him interview.

I informed him that not everyone agrees with the context of the first article. You see, when I asked how much a three bedroom, 2 1/2 bath, 2 car garage costs in Tulsa he said about $150,000.00, I told him the same house in SAN costs $550,000.00. He was AMAZED. I then drew a correlation between concessions that were GIVEN us and the feelings towards doing more with less for less.

I, and the others quoted in the above article said nothing wrong. We stated facts. Oh, and we stated them without an alias. You might try it some day. ;)

He informed me that he tried to talk to others but now he must make an appointment with the Local President/Base Management and then is only allowed to speak with those the company/union let him interview.

NOW THAT IS FAIR AND BALANCED ERIC!!!!!!

The CNBC Video crew at the Tulsa Base were under the same restrictions. Only allowed to interview or film those that AA Management and the TWU Bootlickers authorized.

CNBC is supposed to broadcast the documentary in October, I can hardly wait to view the slanted "day at AA" video.

The truth is the majority in Tulsa are also not in favor of this new concession program without return of pay and benefits. It is only the "fair and balanced" media broadcast that makes it appear otherwise.

Local Union Officer elections are next year, just wait and see what happens when the membership has a say. Of course I guess Jim Little could always just appoint Burchette for life and then claim in Federal Court that a long standing interpetation of the TWU Constitution allows him the right to do so. :shock:

Jeez, bitter because those who aren't swallowing the compAAny "Pull together, Win together" lie speak out? I guess its only fair and balanced when the compAAny and its lapdog union allow just the sellout company men to speak.

As far as I know, Dave Stewart hasn't posted on a BB since the AMFA/twu vote was stopped by the big lie to the NMB about craft and class numbers. :down:

Addressed to Former Moderator;

"E",
I think what we(are about to) have here, is that the FCUKin' chickens, are FINALLY coming home to roost"

I'll explain.

In the late 70's, AA made a brilliant business decision, and relocated(WITH, what soon became, It's company union) to "Bubba/Company friendly" DFW/TUL.

Running true to form, AA/TWU want to sqeeze MORE out of the troops. However, what AA/TWU has done, with this latest "work together BULL ####, is to EXPEDIATE a DUMPING of the TWU, for(I PRAY) the TEAMSTERS !!

"What goes around, comes around" !!

So,FM!
When the media reports the AA/TWU lovefest and all the pull this yank that crap,,,,thats not BIAS?

Coming from a line station, I assure you....THAT ARTICLE IS DEAD ON ACCURATE!

"Tell me what it would like to live on $20,000 a year in Tulsa, which is what it's like for us in New York," said Bob Owens, an American mechanic at JFK

Well thats not exactly what I said. It was more like "the median family income in Tulsa is probably around $35 to $40k a year but in Tulsa AA mechanics earn around $60K, putting them around $20K above the median, but here on Long Island the median income is around $80k and we earn the same $60k as they do. It puts us at $20k less than the median. Tell me what it would be like to live in Tulsa with $20k less than the median Tulsa income?($15,000 to $20,000/year) Thats what they expect us to do in places like New York, California , Chicago etc. So Tulsa may be fine with all the concessions because even after the concessions they still $20 K above the majority of Tulsans but the cuts are killling us, we can't afford to make ends meet. Tulsa may still be happy, we would be too if we were making $20k more than the median ($100k)but on the line we are not and we are not in the mood to grant the company even more concessions either no matter what their bought and paid for union, the TWU, says.

Latest posts