Line Maintenance Strike

Oct 9, 2003
If TULSA LOCAL 514 continues with this $500 million sellout, I think we(the line mechanics and line supporting base mechanics) at AA should walkout on our own. The TWU needs to die and right now,and I can see this as the only option to put a stop to this SCAM by the TWU! If we don't stop this now, then all is lost! Local 514 is an agent of the company, not the members! The idea may sound "crazy" but it maybe the only way to save our AMT profession from the TWU.

And you don't think they'll be able to find any out of work mechanics to replace you? maybe you should check the unemployment lines.

timco-09mar2005.jpg

Yeah Oneflyer, you can use these workers.

Yeah Oneflyer, you can use these workers.

No need, I'm sure there are plenty of United, NWA, US, and other mechanic that would love to work. Don't think for a second that they wouldn't cross a picket line.

Sure at $9/hr to start you might have 1 or 2 takers.

This is what you just don't get, its supply and demand, not your union.

Few mechanics, lots of work means more pay

Lots of mechanics and less work means less pay

There is nothing left to discuss.

US Air can't even get rampers for $9.50/hr. Most of those who do apply can't pass drug and background checks. And of those who do make it to class, half don't finish; they quit. And as for the ones who do complete the class, I wonder how many of those stick around after loading their first full 757? This has been discussed on the USAir board.

US Air can't even get rampers for $9.50/hr. Most of those who do apply can't pass drug and background checks. And of those who do make it to class, half don't finish; they quit. And as for the ones who do complete the class, I wonder how many of those stick around after loading their first full 757? This has been discussed on the USAir board.

My point exactly. $9.50 is clearly not enough to find qualified FSC, so the rate will increase to a point that will allow USAir or whoever to hire enough qualfied workers, it has nothing to do with which union you work for. The bankruptcy judge has given US management everything they've ask for, the U unions did nothing to block wage decrease, but the job market will quickly correct it, because U can't find employees.

PRINCESS KIDAGAKASH said:
If TULSA LOCAL 514 continues with this $500 million sellout, I think we(the line mechanics and line supporting base mechanics) at AA should walkout on our own. The TWU needs to die and right now I can see this as the only option to put a stop to this SCAM by the TWU. If we don't stop this now, then all is lost! Local 514 is an agent of the company, not the members! The idea may sound "crazy" but it maybe the only way to save our AMT profession from the TWU.
[post="254059"][/post]​

Princess, as I have stated on another thread, it appears that the $500 million will come in the form additional revenue from third party work and the implementation of cost savings ideas submitted by the people on the floor (This is at the top of AA's press release in regards to this matter). It does not mean $500 million in pay cuts for the Tulsa base. $500 million is about the yearly cost of payroll in TUL. With oil approaching $60 a barrel (some say it could go to $80 a barrel) it is highly probable AA will come back for more, unless we have some failures soon in the industry. I don't think that they want to come back for more because of the effect it will have on morale (it is already low enough). I think they will wait a little longer and see what happens at UA.

aafsc said:
Princess, as I have stated on another thread, it appears that the $500 million will come in the form additional revenue from third party work and the implementation of cost savings ideas submitted by the people on the floor (This is at the top of AA's press release in regards to this matter). It does not mean $500 million in pay cuts for the Tulsa base. $500 million is about the yearly cost of payroll in TUL. With oil approaching $60 a barrel (some say it could go to $80 a barrel) it is highly probable AA will come back for more, unless we have some failures soon in the industry. I don't think that they want to come back for more because of the effect it will have on morale (it is already low enough). I think they will wait a little longer and see what happens at UA.
[post="254098"][/post]​

Just to clarify....they expect it from third party revenue but using the same or less headcount(attrittion). The "union," yes the "union" is now going around timing people on their job performance and has stated that they expect you to at least double the timed performance so the compAAny will be able to reach the $500 million goal. For comparison purposes, this would be the equivalent in your job of say loading an airplane with half the people but in the same time frame. Better yet, cleaning an aircraft with half the people but in the same time. We could agrue for days on whether it's a concession or not but those who will be doing the work, certainly feel like it is.

If TULSA LOCAL 514 continues with this $500 million sellout, I think we(the line mechanics and line supporting base mechanics) at AA should walkout on our own. The TWU needs to die and right now I can see this as the only option to put a stop to this SCAM by the TWU. If we don't stop this now, then all is lost! Local 514 is an agent of the company, not the members! The idea may sound "crazy" but it maybe the only way to save our AMT profession from the TWU.
[post="254059"][/post]​

You don't think AA could replace you at your current $30+ per hour?

Seriously?

Have at it. B)

Go ahead AA replace me! My skills are valued and wanted elsewhere. I was looking for a job, when I found this one. What will the passengers think when AA has to explain why all of it's line mechanics walked off the job and now their airplane is being worked on by the "D" team scab contractors with no license,no experience,no morals and no ethics!

FWAAA,Oneflyer, we all know they can replace you with lower wage bean counters so I would start looking over your shoulders. That AA backstab will git ya where it hurts. ;)

aafsc, I have heard the same song and dance for 20 years from not only AA,but at BRANIFF/DALFORT. We used to have the "Ideas in action" program, but they shut that down when there really was no more savings to be had. As far as third party work, I don't think we can afford to pay customers like FEDEX to overhaul their airplanes like we did on the Fedex 727 contract. Just look at TAESL they have squandered almost every third party contract they have ever got, because of poor management and planning.

Just look at TAESL they have squandered almost every third party contract they have ever got, because of poor management and planning.
[post="254160"][/post]​

Last I heard AA was still paying to work on America West engines, is that still the case?

Why not go on a dues strike?

Go on hand pay and dont pay until the TWU International spends the time and money notifying you to pay.

Each notice costs the Union at least $20 between mail and labor. If 5000 members went on hand pay and did not pay until notified it would cost the TWU $100,000 for each round of collection.

If they sought payment monthly it would be $1,2 million a year.

And thats only if 5000 members went on Hand Pay.

Hand pay puts a tremendous burden on the union, it will strain their resources and they will have less money for their perks and pay raises. Hell we know they aint using it for us anyway! And if the fail to represent you because they claim they lack resources you can sue them for DFR.

Here is a means of showing how you feel without any cost or loss of income to you, the only thing is every couple of months or so you have to write out a check for back dues.