Sep 9, 2002
December 25, 2007

James Little
International President
Transport Workers Union
1700 Broadway (2nd Floor)
New York, NY 10019-5905

Dear Brother Little,
A Merry Christmas to you, and your family.

It's time again for my traditional 'ignored holiday letter' to you. Instead of getting paid double time and a half at work, writing this letter at home is one of the few pleasures left in my life.

This time of year always inspires me to put pen to paper, or in this case, finger to keyboard. The half pay I'm getting to work on this holiday and the five other recognized holidays we have left, and also the lack of funds I find at the end of this year in my bank account inspires me. I wonder if you are familiar with this.

I will be dipping into my much-needed funds to send this letter to you via the postal service, as you are unreachable by any other modern means. When, oh! when are you going to post your email address? If your corporate buddies at AMR can email you, then why not the membership. It is the membership, may I remind you, who make your lavish lifestyle possible?

Every month I get two publications in my mailbox, and these are the Flagship News, and the TWU Express. These publications are very similar in many respects, and I'm beginning to wonder if they have the same editorial staff. They both have happy workers, stricken by concessionary contracts, and their wealthy leaders in posed publicity shots, with everyone seemingly having a jolly old time. Neither publication addresses the current concerns of the workers to whom they send these propaganda snippets of information. They also don't have any information on how to weather the increasing financial burden placed on them, as this vile contract marches onward. It makes me wonder why these publications are mailed out. It couldn't possibly be an attempt at brainwashing, not with such fine upstanding people leading the TWU or AMR.

Well, here we get to the purpose of my letter. I would like to address this financial burden with some suggestions that I would like you to place in the TWU Express with my full permission. Perhaps this would encourage readers to send in their own suggestions and a meaningful dialog started, rather than the white flag waving that has become a tradition in the TWU.

Tips on how to survive a T.W.U Contract

1. Save money on toilet paper by using the TWU Express/Flagship News after you've finished reading it as a replacement, shredding it into strips and hanging it on a nail close to the Water Closet. (I know Brother Gless' picture will be a favorite with New York members, so be sure to have more pictures of him) Also tissue paper will reduce publishing costs for the TWU.

2. Don't ever get sick, as the cost of our medical has skyrocketed. Come into work even if you are on death's door. It won't improve production, but it would reduce the number of 'occurrences' on which management frowns. (They even hauled one member at JFK into counseling when he was dying of AIDS.)

3. Remove unnecessary weight from your car so as to improve gas mileage, some suggestions are spare tires (the bald thing in the back), Bondo, rust, tape holding lights in place, cardboard over the holes in the windows, coat hangers used as an antenna, unused seats, and only put enough fuel for one round trip journey (as if we ever have money for more than that).

4. Don't have kids, as they chew up money faster than a TWU delegate at a Vegas Blackjack table. (Don't worry; the human race will definitely survive a few more generations without your added burden of reproduction.)

5. Use cat tuna, instead of the human stuff. (Don't worry you'll soon get used to it and all those weird crunchy pieces. If it's good enough for Muffin, it's good enough for you.)

6. Learn to sew; those 5 uniforms you have left have probably got holes all over the place, so that's a good place to start.

7. Wait until your local supermarket has just mopped their floor, and go running up and down the aisles, and hopefully you'll fall over and be able to sue them for gobs of cash. (A fracture with bone sticking out will get even more, so bear that in mind. Plus Flex Benefits may not cover it.)

8. Start an AMFA drive, as this seems to be the only way of getting a good contract out of the TWU. (This won't help you now, but the year or so it's in place will help pay off some of the mounting credit card debts.)

9. Go to a union meeting. (It won't help to get anything done, as it's an entrenched leadership, which old age, and death seem to be the only way it changes. I'm talking about the free food they give you, and put some into your pockets for your kids meals too).

10. Dress up like Santa and hang around supermarkets with a bell and bucket. (Keep an eye on the guy with a mop while you're there).

11. If you already have kids, send them down to a Central American country to work in the sweatshops. (Shopping at Wal-Mart will take on a whole new meaning when you pass the 'Kathy Lee Collection'. Also you can share your money saving tips with Wal-Mart employees, and also ask them how to apply for food stamps.)

12. Paint your old Sony Walkman with a new, and vibrant color and paint Ipod on the outside. (Makes for a great Christmas gift.)

13. Cut down a Christmas tree from the side of the road. (If you should get arrested while doing this, they have free food in jail, and better benefits, plus don't forget to stuff some free food your pocket for a tasty Christmas Meal).

14. Don't go on vacation, it's too expensive, plus we can all live vicariously through the executives; like Gerald Arpy as he flies his twin-engine private aircraft on CNBC. Gosh, I get all excited every time I see that sleek aircraft, held aloft on it's gossamer wings, gracefully steak across the golden sky.

15. Work all the holidays even though we only get paid half pay for them. Compared to those spending time with their children, you can be comforted by the knowledge you'll be saving the company from bankruptcy, and adding a little extra to the pockets of our deserving executives. (Plus you'll only be boring the relatives with your miserable stories about what's happened to your profession.)

16. Become an AMFA organizer, then a Section Chairman, then a Local President, then a get an unelected position as an International Representative making a bundle. (Hey it worked for Brother Gless, why not you?)

17. Don't waste your time trying to sell a maintenance coin/medal. (That's a whole story in itself.)

18. Encourage those kids I told you not to have to chew on as many Mattel toys as possible, have them fail at school, get their lead levels checked. and all of a sudden I hear 'lawsuit'. (Plus you won't feel so bad sending them down to work in Central America).

19. Find a relative of a corporate executive or International Union President and marry them. (Then when you're sipping cocktails you could ask them for a job appointment, like Brother Koziatek getting his daughter a cushy TWU job.)

20. Get a unionized job as they always pay better. Whoops, sorry, I mean one that has nothing to do with the Airlines. (What was I thinking?)

Well, Brother Little, how's that for starters? Anything more I can suggest? How about some advice on how to negotiate a contract with pay increases? Now there's a revolutionary idea. Is there anything I left out, like a 'snap back' clause, for the next inevitable concessionary contract?

So this Christmas as you and your family sit down to Christmas dinner, I hope you pause a while when your lifting your crystal glass of sparkling Dom Perignon to swill down that caviar. Give some thought this holiday, as you tuck your fine French linen napkin into the collar of your Dolce and Gabanna shirt while you wrap your lips around that succulent turkey served to you on a silver platter, to the people who put all that delicious food on your table. The very people who are probably walking the neighborhood for recycling soda cans, the people that make your $234,000 salary possible.

Yours Fraternally,

Brother Michael Allen

P.S. When I get off work on Christmas Day, can I come over for dinner with the kids?

P.P.S. Why are the two previous International Presidents still kept on as President-emeritus, when these were the very guys who turned chicken and soiled themselves during the local 100 strikes? What can we possibly learn from them may I ask?

I still think the YouTube video and the look on Little's face when he is loudly booed by his dues paying members at the APA rally in Texas speaks louder than any words in the letter.

But thanks for sharing the letter, it might inspire me to write one. Nah, the unelected AAppointed Jack-ass doesn't care about our thoughts, feelings, or hard times. He is not accountable so why should he.

James C. Little gets booed video

He forgot to add the part about digging thru the garbage dumpster for good food and clothing. Might even find some nice furniture in there as well.

So what is the plan?

Change Union's and get screwed by thousands of A&P Licensed Scabs who will cross your pciket line if you choose to take a stand?

I don't see a plan to prevent that, so lets' just keep blaming anyone and everyone that is convenient and BOHICA.

So what is the plan?

Change Union's and get screwed by thousands of A&P Licensed Scabs who will cross your pciket line if you choose to take a stand?

I don't see a plan to prevent that, so lets' just keep blaming anyone and everyone that is convenient and BOHICA.

How about this?

Merge into one Local.

Fifty years ago splitting the membership into many seperate locals may have been a neccesity but improvements in transportation and communication technology could enable us to be in one local across the country that would enable more people to participate actively in their Local without even leaving their home. They could make motions, have discussions that would be open to every member on every shift at every location and even vote via the net.

Then that Local could get ownership of the contract. The head of that Local would be elected by the membership vs having some International lackey in charge.

I have no doubt that Little and company would block it but it would make Little and all those other crooks more vulnerable at the next Convention.

SWA flight attendants, Local 100 and several other large locals dont understand what our grievance is with the International because they cant see what we face. They believe the International because many of the Presidents they see and hear from back up the Internationals lies about the power of Presidents Council and contract committees.

Little has surrounded himself with AA people, leaving out SWA and Local 100. There are real unionist at those Locals even though many of them have been seduced by Little. This makes him vulnerable, a publicized revolt from within at AA would make things even worse for him.

Over the next few months start motions to change the bylaws in your locals to allow for electronic union meetings, once in place start merging the locals, or at least trying to.

Three tries in three years and the TWU comes up short again at Continental!!

Great job Jim, whats that around $6million of our dues money flushed down the toilet?

How do you expect to recruit new members in this industry when the majority of your present members in this industry know and tell everyone how much you suck?

The best was how that two faced little prick was telling Contintal workers that it was unfair for them to give up 10% without a snapback when he imposed a 25% paycut on us without a snapback. He also stayed away from the profit sharing issue, you know-"the sweetener", the worst profit sharing plan in the industry, the only one that hasnt paid a penny. Continental profit sharing has paid off well. Then there's Holiday pay, vacation accrual, doubletime, full sick pay etc, all things that non-union Continental workers gets without a union that we dont with the TWU.

Great job Jim, whats that around $6million of our dues money flushed down the toilet?

How do you expect to recruit new members in this industry when the majority of your present members in this industry know and tell everyone how much you suck?

The best was how that two faced little prick was telling Contintal workers that it was unfair for them to give up 10% without a snapback when he imposed a 25% paycut on us without a snapback. He also stayed away from the profit sharing issue, you know-"the sweetener", the worst profit sharing plan in the industry, the only one that hasnt paid a penny. Continental profit sharing has paid off well. Then there's Holiday pay, vacation accrual, doubletime, full sick pay etc, all things that non-union Continental workers gets without a union that we dont with the TWU.

In 1995, I heard General Schwartzkopf give a speech at West Point, and he said that everything a leader does is an example, whether he likes it or not. It can be a good example or a bad example. They are equally strong.

Apparently, Little thinks that doesn't apply to him, or he can talk and dance his way around the example he has set here at AA.

Methinks that Little and his International Ship of Fools were told to Bugger Off!.

Bob,

How does merging into one local stop the A&P Scabs?
They are not as much of a threat as management and the union would have you believe and they are not what keeps us down.

NWA scoured the ranks of unemployed A&Ps for a year and only came up with half of their goal of needed scabs. Its only a matter of time before NWA no longer exists and their attack upon their mechanics will be a major cause of its extinction, although they will never admit it.

Over the next few years expect to see a shortage of A&Ps and a push by the industry to revive FAR 66. From what I've heard 80% of those on Recall have declined it, the AA list is done and they are now working on the TWA list. Many of those guys are in their 60s. JFK is expected to lose an entire crew due to transfers. Many TWA guys are opting for DFW despite 4-10-01 status because of the cost of living. Attrition is ongoing and there is no fresh supply.

NWA wiped out the pool of scabs, there arent any out there anymore-certainly not enough to keep AA going, our biggest threat would be from within as a result of the non-union culture that the TWU has cultivated at AA.

Our immediate problem(we have many) is the International and the scab running it-Jim Little. Jim Little wants to give AMR another great deal, just like his 12 year Eagle fiasco and our 2003 Concessions. Dont forget that Little came from AA management.

The TWU Constitution does allow a certain degree of autonomy to Locals, however in order for a local to realize and enjoy that autonomy they must have control of the holy grail of unionism-THE CONTRACT. Without that the Locals really have nothing. The Flight Attendants at SWA have it, Local 100 has it as well as many of the other Locals in the TWU. AA employees are split up into 21 seperate locals who collectively have zero ownership of the contract.

Jim Little owns our contract and as such has the right to appoint those who administer it. As members we only have the right to elect representatives who represent us at disciplinary hearings, administer grievances and sit on the powerless Presidents Council that exists only at the discretion of Jim Little. Jim Little can abolish the council at will. The TWU has even argued that the Internationals power over our contract extends to the point that they dont even have to allow the members a ratification vote, that they can modify it at will without membership approval.

The TWU International lies to its members and claims that the Presidents Council is more than what it is, but when challenged-as it was with the issue of seperate locals the truth is revealed, in court the TWU testified that the Presidents council has no power in the affairs of its members. The coucil exists at the behest of the International President. The International has the right to decide what the members get to vote on and do. Remember lying in court is perjury and punishable by jail, lying to your members is politics and keeps membership divided, confused and the dues flowing.

The reason why the International owns our contract here at AA, unlike the situation at SWA or Local 100 is because all the contract groups are split into many seperate locals. If we united into one Local then we would could demand control over the contract.If denied it would be that much harder for the International to stop a decertification drive because all their lies would be exposed.