Long Day Shaping Up At Phl

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoeingBoy

Veteran
Nov 9, 2003
From the FAA Airport Status website:

Due to WEATHER, LOW CEILINGS/VISIBILITY, there is a Traffic Management Program in effect for traffic arriving Philadelphia International Airport, Philadelphia, PA (PHL). This is causing some arriving flights to be delayed an average of 54 minutes. To see if you may be affected, select your departure airport and check "Delays by Destination".

Any first-hand reports?

Jim

BoeingBoy said:
From the FAA Airport Status website:

Due to WEATHER, LOW CEILINGS/VISIBILITY, there is a Traffic Management Program in effect for traffic arriving Philadelphia International Airport, Philadelphia, PA (PHL). This is causing some arriving flights to be delayed an average of 54 minutes. To see if you may be affected, select your departure airport and check "Delays by Destination".

Any first-hand reports?

Jim
[post="203670"][/post]​

Picking someone up who is on US 1101. Pushed back on time at 0800. Computer says take-off was supposed to be at 0823. They were wheels up at 0914.

I should have added this:

General Departure Delays: Due to MIT, traffic is experiencing Gate Hold and Taxi delays between 31 minutes and 45 minutes in length and increasing.

Jim

MIT = Miles In Trail - increased separation between departing flights.

Severe Weather Alert from the National Weather Service
...ATLANTIC NJ-ATLANTIC COASTAL CAPE MAY NJ-BERKS PA-BUCKS PA-CAMDEN NJ- CAPE MAY NJ-CARBON PA-CAROLINE MD-CECIL MD-CHESTER PA- COASTAL ATLANTIC NJ-COASTAL OCEAN NJ-CUMBERLAND NJ-DELAWARE PA- DELAWARE BEACHES DE-EASTERN MONMOUTH NJ-GLOUCESTER NJ-HUNTERDON NJ- INLAND SUSSEX DE-KENT MD-KENT DE-LEHIGH PA-MERCER NJ-MIDDLESEX NJ- MONROE PA-MONTGOMERY PA-MORRIS NJ-NEW CASTLE DE-NORTHAMPTON PA- NORTHWESTERN BURLINGTON NJ-OCEAN NJ-PHILADELPHIA PA-QUEEN ANNE'S MD- SALEM NJ-SOMERSET NJ-SOUTHEASTERN BURLINGTON NJ-SUSSEX NJ-TALBOT MD- WARREN NJ-WESTERN MONMOUTH NJ- INCLUDING THE CITIES OF... ALLENTOWN... ATLANTIC CITY... BETHLEHEM... CAMDEN... DOVER... NEW BRUNSWICK... NEWARK... PERTH AMBOY... PHILADELPHIA... READING... TRENTON... VINELAND AND WILMINGTON 400 AM EST WED NOV 24 2004

... PERIODS OF RAIN TODAY AND TONIGHT WILL BE FOLLOWED BY A STRONG COLD FRONT THURSDAY MORNING...

A WARM FRONT WILL APPROACH FROM THE SOUTH TODAY AND MOVE THROUGH THE AREA LATER TODAY AND TONIGHT, BRINGING OCCASIONAL RAIN. THE ASSOCIATED COLD FRONT WILL MOVE THROUGH THE REGION THURSDAY MORNING. THE COLD FRONT WILL FEATURE A GOOD AMOUNT OF INSTABILITY, WITH STRONG WINDS JUST OFF THE SURFACE. ANY THUNDERSTORMS, OR EVEN SHOWERS, COULD PRODUCE LOCALIZED STRONG WIND GUSTS AT THE GROUND LATE TONIGHT AND EARLY THURSDAY MORNING.

ALTHOUGH MOSTLY LIGHT RAIN IS EXPECTED TODAY, A FEW AREAS OF MODERATE RAIN UP TO A QUARTER OF AN INCH COULD OCCUR. TRAVEL MAY BE SLOWED BY THE RAIN TODAY INTO EARLY TONIGHT, AS SOME WATER WILL POND ON AREA ROADWAYS. ANY LEFTOVER LEAVES COMBINED WITH THE RAIN WILL MAKE AREA ROADS MORE SLIPPERY. ALSO, ANY LEAVES ALONG ROADSIDES CAN BLOCK STORM DRAINS AND CAUSE ADDITIONAL PONDING OF WATER.

STRONG WINDS AND AREAS OF SHOWERS OR THUNDERSTORMS LATE TONIGHT AND EARLY WEDNESDAY MORNING COULD DO MORE TO HAMPER TRAVEL, BOTH ON LAND AND IN THE AIR. AFTER THE FRONT MOVES OFFSHORE AND TAKES THE BULK OF THE MOISTURE WITH IT, CONDITIONS SHOULD IMPROVE DURING THANKSGIVING DAY, ALTHOUGH IT WILL REMAIN BLUSTERY. MUCH COLDER AIR WILL ENTER THE REGION THURSDAY AFTERNOON AND ESPECIALLY THURSDAY NIGHT.

IF YOU WILL BE TRAVELING TODAY INTO THURSDAY, ALLOW SOME EXTRA TIME TO REACH YOUR DESTINATION, AS THIS WEATHER SYSTEM WILL BE AFFECTING THE ENTIRE EAST COAST. IF DRIVING, USE CAUTION ON THE HIGHWAYS AS THEY WILL BE WET FROM THE RAIN. LEAVE EXTRA BRAKING DISTANCE BETWEEN YOU AND THE VEHICLE IN FRONT OF YOU....

I have not heard of any mass sick calls like the news media has been reporting for several days.
Bravo to the PHL employees for their hard work and dedication. They do not need any added stress. The weather and PHL op's alone is enough to give them a hard time at work.
:)

Just wait until Sunday....when no one wants to be with their family until next Thanksgiving and life returns to normal. Sunday will tell the tale.

Good to hear about the sick calls. Maybe people are practicing the golden rule, even though its hard!

I heard that they have Paladini in PHL answering the sick line. Is this supposed to have an effect on the number of sick calls? Those who are going to bang in will do so regardless of who answers the phone.

The weather is going to be a big issue. The rain is supposed to get heavier later tonight. Hopefully most pax will get where their going without too much trouble.

Jennyann said:
I agree totally.
The media should realize that we as employees take our jobs seriously and are professionals.
[post="203721"][/post]​

As Gene Kranz, Apollo 13 Flight Director said as his superiors were posturing to announce NASA's biggest disaster if the crew was lost: "With all due respect, I think this is gonna be our finest hour." Go Philly!

More bad press:

ABC's Nightline will be airing a story tonight on two airlines, one successful and one unsuccessful. The successful airline, or "A," is JetBlue Airways. While I haven't been told specifically which airline is "B," I've heard it is US Airways. Tune in at 11:35 PM on ABC.

I would like to see the holidays pass with great performance and achievment from our employees. I don't think we necessarily need praise from our customers, they are ultimately why we work so hard. The media should give us as much positive press as it has been giving negative.

I think it needs to happen tonight, when the people are stressed, pissed and packed in the terminal. When the hotels are full, the flights are cancelled - then, we walk. Straight out the door and don't come back until Monday. :) :) :) :) :)
PITMTC said:
I have not heard of any mass sick calls like the news media has been reporting for several days.
Bravo to the PHL employees for their hard work and dedication. They do not need any added stress. The weather and PHL op's alone is enough to give them a hard time at work.
:)
[post="203708"][/post]​

Status
Not open for further replies.