Lookin' Good

markkus757

Veteran
Jul 26, 2004
I was working this morning in PVD when I saw Herbie's plane. I liked the fact that it will be the only plane in the fleet eventually with the old paint job. The subtle changes are pretty cool also. :up:

LoveFieldFlyer said:
N714CB and N792WN (the last Classic new delivery) are due to get this new paint job as well, with both having "Southwest Classic" as a dedication at the nose of the aircraft.
[post="288399"][/post]​

:blink: Anyone got a pic or link to what is being discussed?? :blink:

It woud've been a neat 'retro' touch had they done these three planes up with the ORIGINAL titles, which were (IIRC) only on the first handful of aircraft: The starboard side had "SOUTHWEST" on the upper rear fuselage and "AIRLINES" on the tail, with the sequence naturally reversed on the port side.
I recall seeing these early WN aircraft while connecting at DAL (on AA) in 1973. Anyone else (KC?) remember?

tug_slug said:
These pictures dont do the plane justice, it almost looks as like they've added gold flake to the paint.
[post="289054"][/post]​

It is a metallic gold paint and the red and orange are the richer colors used on the new spirit livery. Also notice that the windows are not outlined as in the older paint scheme.

LoveFieldFlyer said:
It is a metallic gold paint and the red and orange are the richer colors used on the new spirit livery. Also notice that the windows are not outlined as in the older paint scheme.
[post="289069"][/post]​

Look more closely, especially at the close-up shot. The windows ARE outlined, just not as prominently.

Are you sure these 737's haven't been leased from Trans States :))

luvn737s said:
[post="290353"][/post]​
HK was placed on the aircraft in honor of Herb by Boeing. There are others out there as well. Collen has one but I am not sure what the tail number is.

Boeing does not make the tail #s WN chooses them and has to get approval from the FAA.

luvn737s said:
[post="290353"][/post]​

Trans States Airlines' aircraft registration numbers reflect the "it's all about me" mentality of its CEO and Chairman, Hulas Kanodia. Thus you'll see virtually all their aircraft tail numbers end with the initials "HK."

This is quite the contrast to Southwest's practice of using tail numbers to honor people who have made great contributions to the success of the company.

On the other hand, TSA's radio call sign is one of the coolest in the industry: "Water Ski!" (This reflects their heritage growing out of the days when they were "Resort Air" connecting St. Louis to the Lake of the Ozarks.)

wnbubbleboy said:
HK was placed on the aircraft in honor of Herb by Boeing. There are others out there as well. Collen has one but I am not sure what the tail number is.
[post="290367"][/post]​
An honorary tail number upon their death or retirement is classy. While you're still running the place seems a little tacky.

luvn737s said:
An honorary tail number upon their death or retirement is classy. While you're still running the place seems a little tacky.
[post="290610"][/post]​
Obviously your opinion. I don't agree. I believe that those who have guided SWA deserve the recognition. Besides, what fun is it to not be able to see "your" airplane because you're gone?

As of today, the FAA database shows the following B737s registered to Southwest Airlines Co that do not have the common 2-letter suffix of SW, WN, SA, or LV. (Note that SWA has 661 N-numbers assigned or reserved. Given today's fleet size of around 440 aircraft, this shows preparation for yet another 50% growth!)

N216WR
N217JC
N700GS
N701GS
N711HK
N714CB
N737JW
N738CB
N739GB
N759GS
N761RR
N777QC
N797MX (Honoring SWA Maintenance!)
(N679AA was an old American Airlines -300 that, for whatever reason, retains its old registration.)

Since few of the special tail numbered aircraft have any nose titles all you have to do is look for one that has YOUR initials on it and claim it as your own! I'm still looking for NxxxCL!