Losing My Religion

T

Traveler

Where’s the Spotlight?

It’s a horrible nightmare. You know the kind. You experience it in that shallow sleep, early in the morning, before light. It’s usually accompanied by a dull headache keeping you in that thin state of unrest, never waking but never deeply sleeping. Vivid images project upon the screen of your mind which is your nightmarish play.

The play is set upon a stage in a large dark theater. It’s eerily quiet and cold. You know the audience is there. They wait and watch with dispassionate interest. No one cares if your character suffers, lives or dies. Either way, when the play is over, the audience exits the theater and life goes on.

There’s a spotlight from the upper decks somewhere in the rear. Despite it’s intense narrow beam, there is no reflection. There’s no scatter of light off the subject it is now focused on. Not even the slightest wash of light upon the stage. It’s just you in the spotlight. The audience is wrapped in an ebony blanket of gullibility – innocently swayed. The Beam... It’s a beam of envy. It’s a beam of mistrust. It’s a beam of selfishness. It’s a beam of guilt. The spotlight is a beam of blame.

You know this spotlight. You’ve felt it before. No matter how honest and forthright the character is; the intense, obdurate beam casts it’s subject in the most unflattering way. In a nightmarish play, where guilt of a crime is the determining plot, the evil icily stare of the Cycloptic spotlight makes its inference to the audience. You’re Guilty. You’re Selfish. You’re Unreasonable.

With no other character to focus upon -- it’s you in the spotlight. The other character hides cowardly in the darkness. You can feel him winning again. It’s always the one in the Spotlight. The one in the Spotlight always suffers the inference of guilt. You’re head’s pounding and you’re trying to move. Move from the spotlight. Your motions are weighted... sluggish as they often are in that nightmarish state between wake and sleep. You probe the darkness with helpless, blinded eyes. You turn to the Audience and you scream in defiance of the prejudgement:

“Life is bigger.â€

You spin back and face you’re invisible accuser, spitting out biting words through gritted teeth –

“And It’s bigger than you and you are not me. The lengths that I will go to...

The distance in your eyes
Oh no I've said too much
I set it up

That's me in the corner
That's me in the spotlight
Losing my religion
Trying to keep up with you
And I don't know if I can do it
Oh no I've said too much
I haven't said enoughâ€

Dammit... It’s the fricken Radio Alarm... A segue from your Nightmare to the real world. That is... a real world which is... A Nightmare. Don’t know whether to thank it or smash it with a fist.

“I thought that I heard you laughing
I thought that I heard you sing
I think I thought I saw you try

Every whisper
Of every waking hour I'm
Choosing my confessions
Trying to keep an eye on you
Like a hurt lost and blinded fool
Oh no I've said too much
I set it upâ€

Who is this guy singing? Does he work for USAirways. I feel you pain man!

“Consider this
The hint of the century
Consider this
The slip that brought me
To my knees failed
What if all these fantasies
Come flailing around
Now I've said too much

I thought that I heard you laughing
I thought that I heard you sing
I think I thought I saw you try

But that was just a dream
That was just a dreamâ€

“Take all the Aspirin you can kid – the headache and the dream ain’t going awayâ€, you say to the radio.

The songster seams to answer in agreement by repeating the nightmare lyrics which invaded your dream over again.

But before you shut it off you listen to the verse again... lyrics of – Losing my Religion, Out of Time album, by REM.

“That’s me in the spotlight... The slip that brought me to my knees... Thought I heard you laughing†How appropriate, you think.

But can you feel it? The spotlight? It’s moving. It’s moving back in your direction.

Like a faithful battered wife, some employees are again accepting the guilt... “It’s my fault... Maybe I’m not trying hard enough. Here’s what I think we should do... Let’s give them what they want... Pleeease guys, Don’t question them! Just giiiivvvveeeeeee. OOHhhhhh, PLEeease, Make the Pain stooopppp!â€

Ya know what? Maybe you’re right! Maybe the employees are wrong, guilty, greedy, unreasonable... But how the heck can you tell?

If I were an Employee (cough, cough, uhmm... sorry), I would agree to further concessions. There’s no doubt... I would. If USAirways’ Management has done all they can to squeeze every dollar out of this Airline with maximum efficiencies in utilization of assets, planning and scheduling, then I would sacrifice more for the security of having a job during this... uh... “transformationâ€. But first...

Let’s try to identify the problem in finding a common ground or a starting place with Management. Let’s play a game of Word Association.

I’ll say Management.

What?... Untrustworthy?... Why would you associate that word with Management?

OK, that’s just you guys in front. You loudmouths. How about you guys in back?

What?... Untrustworthy?... What? Oh, without options, you say, you have no choice but to acquiesce. I see. Umm, Did you know that many Battered Women share that same feeling with you – that same sense of hopelessness. No Options. No Choices. Nothing to do but give in. That’s not right, you know. There’s always a solution. A better way. Sometimes it’s hard to take the first few steps, but it does get easier. The toughest part is opening your mind to alternatives.

Are there Alternatives. How can you possibly overcome Distrust?

Seriously. Are feelings of mistrust valid? Are there really any root causes for such mistrust?

:ph34r: The bit in that video with the finger always creeped me out.

STAND in the place where you live, now face North... :D oh, memories...

The battered woman analogy is actually a good one... the employees of US Airways are being emotionally battered into "compliance." Its a tried and true tactic... you dont think US Airways would actually come up with something original, do you? Enough is enough. Do not be the Tina to thier Ike.

Actually, I just reread the above post and being honest I'm not sure what its saying? I just got caught up in REM and Tina Turner. :ph34r:

Thoughtful post. The "mistrust" originates in what people's wishes are for what others should do for them. It seems apparant that the management of U is not living up to what some employees expect. Since the operation is not living up to expectations, the head man gets the blame and the anger. Not unexpected. But then again how many rabbitts are in a hat? I believe management thought their steps would be enough. It appears that this was not so. So do you believe a new manager might have more rabbitts in his/her hat? Or is something else necessary?

Well sure as God makes little green apples , We/They better do something fast !!

I took note on the local news that our "Codeshare Partner" is moving in on our backyard operations in RDU. UA Express is slated to start flying from RDU to DEN with RJ's. So much for working together , Huh? <_<

This is not only a draw of RDU passengers away from U...it will also impact travel out of the CLT Hub....as if that's not hampered enough by our fares out of the major hubs already.

I also noted in this story that Frontier is being courted by local officials to start flying out of RDU to DEN as well.

I love this posters cogitative abilities.

Who is this masked man.....an ex CEO, a college professor with a weird hobby, whoever matters not, I enjoy your posts...

L1011Ret said:
Or is something else necessary?
Obviously something else is necessary and where I disagree with Dave B 1000%

Even if Dave S were innocent due to circumstances, U is where it is. A new CEO coming in laying all the hard cold facts on the table would have more ears than Dave S will ever have. The employees feel like the wife cheated on 20 times over and abused to top it off. Reality or perception it doesn't matter, what matters is Dave is now sterile carrying no weight or authority and considered a fraud, a dud. I can't see how it will work if he remains in charge.

Seriously. Are feelings of mistrust valid? Are there really any root causes for such mistrust?

Spot Light – Management buys up the growth oriented competition. Dumps their successfully talented growth oriented Leadership. Then downsizes their growth oriented marketing strategies in order to increase yields. Arrogantly believing our competition’s competition wouldn’t fill the void left behind. Gives up and tries to sell the Airline. Failed. Billions lost. Pulls it’s Parachute cord. Quits.

Spot Light – New Management condemns old management. Changes the name. Changes the Planes. Changes the colors. Changes the uniform. Changes the slogan. Changes the ostensible strategic direction to growth. Gives up and tries to sell the Airline. Cuts out diversified markets. Eliminates Assets. Strips down the Airline for a generic (merger) fit. Misguidedly buys back Billions of a Sagging Stock. Billions lost. Pulls it’s Parachute cord. Quits.

Spot Light – New Management condemns old management – “The ones who got you here won’t get you out. I’m the last Chief Executive this Airline will ever haveâ€￾. Changes the ostensible strategic direction to growth of the Regional Jet Division as the answer to the LCC’s threat. Retreats further from Mainline Markets. Obtains concessions. Obtains more concessions. Declares Bankruptcy. Obtains more concessions. Comes out of Bankruptcy with a plan. Wants to downsize the fleet further. Over-ruled in attempts to extract more concessions. Laments that the aggressive retreat and retrenchment strategy has left the Airline weakened as a Network Carrier Business Model. After one whole year since emerging from Bankruptcy, never launches a discernible business plan. Morale plummets. Employees call for CEO Resignation. Tries to extract more concessions. Revises the Business Plan. Refuses to disclose the new Revised Business Plan. Contradictingly reverses course – wants to grow the Mainline fleet. Wants more concessions or... Gives up, and sells the Airline – in parts. Threatens to Pull the Parachute cord and quit.

Mistrust is not necessarily personal – It’s a part of business. It could be a rational position of professional interpretation. The PBGC and Judge Mitchell for example supported Management’s calculated justification for terminating the Pilot’s Pension Plan. Subsequently, Management revises it’s calculations saying that perhaps the Plan wasn’t as underfunded as it originally argued. Thus Management feels it owes less to the PBGC in UAIR equity shares. Just like the employees, the PBGC trusts not that the Company is being forthright in it’s calculations. The PBGC wins a judgment as a result.

In Bankruptcy court, Judge Mitchell listened to testimony by the CEO and the CFO. February 24,2003 (CFO Neil Cohen’s $35Million testimony); Judge Mitchell, himself, rebuked these Corporate Executives for their evasiveness “...(Mitchell) not going to let the debtors (US Airways), take up all the time at the hearing...â€￾ “(Mitchell) frustrated at Company witnesses wasting the court’s time by not giving straight answers to straight questions...â€￾. Amazement at Neal Cohen USAirways CFO, Not knowing what his total Compensation was. (And you’re to trust a CFO who doesn’t know what his IRS form 1040 looks like). The Honorable Robert J. Cindrich rebuffed the airline 's ill-advised attempt to subcontract heavy maintenance of Airbus aircraft and ordered US Airways to abide by the terms of their Collective Bargaining Agreement. And then there’s the AFA Arbitration judgment.

The CEO crooned that his was a “Labor Friendlyâ€￾ Executive style. The Company states it had the tools it needed when it emerged from Bankruptcy, then Management’s systematical divergences has resulted in Hundreds of grievances in just a few Months since signing the Contracts.

OK, so maybe it’s just a little hard to be completely trusting. But History is History and can’t be changed. Even though other Airlines have generated quite a little next-egg during the good times you shouldn’t be pointing fingers at USAirways former Leadership’s... umm... misfortunes and missed-opportunities. And we should move forward from this New Management’s rhetoric and equivocations. And any way, aren’t you being a little hard on this new Leadership. Don’t you think the CEO’s got any talents worthy of employee trust.

Well, objectively speaking I’ll admit... Siegel’s was a wunderkid. But – only as a transitional Corporate Leader. That’s the extent. He successfully navigated the company through the treacherous seas of our own version of a last gasp bankruptcy reorganization process. Bronner gave him high marks, Analysts gave him high marks and other Industry leaders respected his accomplished skill at renegotiating debt and extracting Employee Concessions in obtaining Billions in annual cost savings. I believe this is the only company which won conditional ATSB Loan Guarantee approval on the first try, so far in advance of Bankruptcy emergence. This fastidious institution is not known for approving marginal Business Plans.

I’ll credit Siegel – He does have a special talent. He hired the right people for the specialized Task – the Bankruptcy transitional phase. The men he surrounded himself with were Bulldogs. It took that special personality, strength, tenacity and aggressiveness of these Bulldogs to accomplish the nearly impossible. And it does seem his predecessors left him with little to work with. Multiply that with the confluence of worldly economic and political disasters of the time -- saving USAirways was quite a challenge. But let’s not forget that the employees rose to meet the challenge. Siegel, himself, praised the employees for their tough choices. Billions of Dollars were conceded. Thousands of Employees lost their hopes and dreams. The only conclusion one might draw is that the new Leadership showed aggressiveness and talent and the Employees...

The Employees – “Trustedâ€￾ in this new leadership.

How did I see the typical USAirways Employee in March of 2003. At least those that were spared the Ax when the Airline emerged from Bankruptcy...

Despite the pain. Despite the sacrifice. Despite the personal fear and apprehension. There was an undercurrent of anticipation. Watch us kick-ass now. Prideful association with a great Organization is perhaps an analgesic which helps dull the pain of sacrifice. It worked that way at other Airlines who’s Senior Executives had the talent and vision to remodel the Organization for a successful turnaround. With the precedence of a successful formula of Labor Concessions; Aggressive, Innovative Leadership; Mutually agreeable Contracts; and a strong Core Market resource, the employees were ready for the light show.

So we’re set to go. The Employees waited in anticipation. They waited. And waited. Waited...

What happened?

In light of all that’s happened in less than a year, is it an irrational sentiment to lose confidence, respect and trust. Who set’s the tone for a Corporation’s Corporate Culture? Can Morale be high, even in depression and crisis? Does sparking high Employee Morale come for the rank-n-file up – Or from the Leadership down?

Yes, there’s a gulf of confusion and mistrust. So how do we bridge this and move on? How can the Employees come to believe that the Company has done all that any Executive talent could do?

Again, If there’s absolutely no possible way to make the Airline more Operationally Efficient given the assets, resources and markets we serve then it would be foolish to destroy the Airline just to spite Management. In order to gain employee trust, a bridge must be built which clearly reveals that the company cannot operate given the tools it said it needed with its signed Labor Contracts – not yet a year from signing.

A “Bridgeâ€￾ is necessary. Without a Bridge of trust, employee membership ratification is doubtful. But what form would this “Bridgeâ€￾ take? If the value of a CEO’s oath, “just trust meâ€￾ isn’t going to work, then what “Substituteâ€￾, What “Bridgeâ€￾, will satisfy the need for honesty and trust?

Traveler said:
A “Bridge†is necessary. Without a Bridge of trust, employee membership ratification is doubtful. But what form would this “Bridge†take? If the value of a CEO’s oath, “just trust me†isn’t going to work, then what “Substituteâ€, What “Bridgeâ€, will satisfy the need for honesty and trust?
I'll answer for myself only.

Dave S. must go, OR everyone he surrounds himself with must go and he stays with a fresh new team from corporations that are free from corruption and winners in their business game. You have a Jerry Glass who is the last person to be in charge of anything labor. He has one aim and it isn't to benefit labor. The cat's out of the bag, the damage is done, get rid of these people he surrounds himself with or the entire bunch.

That's my take. I know a lot of my fellow mechanics will consider me generous to even mentioning that Dave S stays with any conditions.

The people out there who don't walk in my shoes or any mechanics shoes don't understand the resolve of our mind set, it's steadfast, and we have this team to thank for that fact.

cavalier said:

Dave S. must go, OR everyone he surrounds himself with must go and he stays with a fresh new team from corporations that are free from corruption and winners in their business game. You have a Jerry Glass who is the last person to be in charge of anything labor. He has one aim and it isn't to benefit labor. The cat's out of the bag, the damage is done, get rid of these people he surrounds himself with or the entire bunch.

That's my take. I know a lot of my fellow mechanics will consider me generous to even mentioning that Dave S stays with any conditions.

The people out there who don't walk in my shoes or any mechanics shoes don't understand the resolve of our mind set, it's steadfast, and we have this team to thank for that fact.
There's an interisting, constructive and reasonable "out of the Box" idea. Short of changing the CEO, changing Key figures with positive track records when it comes to employee relationships might be a positive which helps bridge this gulf of mistrust.

How costly would good judgement on the part of Siegel be in this critical area as compared to the expense of the alternative -- the risk of a failed employee ratification. (not to mention a selfish risk -- the worth of the CEO's equity share in the Company)

cavalier said:

Cav,

You know that I respect your opinion and value our friendship...but I do think you are being too generous in regards to Bugsy Seigel staying around. allow me to elaborate.

(1) Dave was the one that advertised himself to us as "Labor Friendly"...he proved to be anything but , and he's the one responsible for opening the door to the executive suite to the likes of a Jerry Glass.

(2) Dave is the one that said what was needed to right USAirways...and missed by a country mile in his assumptions. So ultimatley who's integrity and credability is shot with just these few examples pointed out?

I will go back to my military upbringing over and over again...Cuz the logic is flawless. "A leader" can deligate authority...but not responsibility !! , with this being said..Seigel is the one at fault for not seeing the obvious in regards to the LCC's continous march into our market.

Seigel is also the one responsible for accepting advice and acting on that advice from those he's elevated to influencing positions witin this company....and has still left us between a rock and a hard place.

Seigel is also the one that defended the payment of 6 Million in retention bonuses for people whom have been retained by others in very short order. I'm not saying that their departure wasn't warranted or not needed....Yet WE paid for it !!

Seigel is the one responsible for OUR contracts not being honored...and our companies liquidity ending up in the hands of lawyers over self-created battles that they continue to lose...bur seem so damned eager to persue.

Many love to say that Bronner is at fault....and maybe he is?..but if Seigel was what he claimed to be in the beginning...He would be at issue with Bronner and the competition....not the assets that keep this "Rock-A-Rolling"

Light Years said:
Actually, I just reread the above post and being honest I'm not sure what its saying? I just got caught up in REM and Tina Turner. :ph34r:
Just a little literary recreation.

Actually I'm with you, I never could agree with the my prof's on literary interpretation.

Hopefully, I'll read it tomorrow and figure out the intended symbology myself.

Thanks

Traveler:

This view you read here, "AOG'S" is in fact shared by most, and why I said my opinion only. I too want this company to survive and was just giving a solution with Dave S remaining on board, especially since the money man Dave B seems bent on that happening regardless of what anyone says or thinks.

AOG:

I can't argue with you on any of your points because you are dead on accurate. I agree with everyone of them. Unless Dave B has one big change of heart very fast Dave S is not going anywhere because Dave B is bent on Dave S staying put.

Traveller, your post laying out the timeline of events ( dated 1/20 @ 1913 EDT ) is a masterpiece...and a great reference that's also entertaining to read.